Barcelona 1992 Opening

I watched the Barcelona Olympic Opening Ceremony in 1992, but I only remember the archer - what got me hooked to the Olympics in fact.

But I have now a copy of the opening ceremony, so thought I would (Baron-style) give you my thoughts as I watched.

Opening "Hola" segment very well choreographed, and liked the music. Particularly liked the forming of the logo

Entrance of the King and Queen seemed to show their popularity

Liked the white ring dancers formning the olympic rings.

A bit bitty so far, but none the less all segments very good. No overall theme as of yet (Sydneys seemed more themed)

Dancers have now formed a heart! and released the doves, Last release of the doves (? cant remeber whether they did that in Atlanta ?)

Lot of music happening now, drums and so forth

some picasso (or goya?) dancers dancing up on the stage area.

Drummers and musicians forming a ring in centre stafe - becoming more impressive

Placido Domingo singing some opera (from Carmen?) Very good singing anyway. A very cultured ceremony so far

And now some flamenco dancing!....

.....although to enjoy it I think you have to really be into Flamenco dancing - good exit though!

Sunshine enters the stadium!

I am thinking the Sydney Stage looks very similar to the Barcelona one. Although Sydneys looks dwarved by the big stand, Barclona's stage seems to take over its stand!

Still waiting for a theme to appear - maybe there isn't one - I';ll just try to enjoy it for what it is rather than worrying about themes!

Very much enjoyed the segement with the Hercules figure cycling and runnig across the stadium! Nice tie in with ancient olympia.

Now for the famous medterranean segment I have heard so much about but only vaguely remember

Looks fantastic though.

All this water coming onto the floor of the stadium

Very much like the view of the trees from the arch of the flame end of the stadium

Water of the mediterranean looks fantastic!

Excellent whole segment, Foundation of Barcelona - nice mythology. Fantastic choreography and construction of this segment - very good indeed, and nice olympic torch type burning thing - all very symbolic. I can see how Athens wanted to be very different from Barcelona - although they could of course been very similar

I can see how Athens wanted to be very different from Barcelona - although they could of course been very similar

Barcelona created its sea in a surrealistic, stylized way.  Athens could only top it by actually flooding the infield with water.  Now, compared to Barcelona - how imaginative could that be?  All it bespoke was better plumbing for Athens.

As for Barcelona's poorer stepsister, Madrid, it can never hope to match the glory of Barcelona's Opening.  Poor Madrid and its lacklustre supporters.

(I'm sorry I'm in a bad mood today and those plebian Madrid supporters set me off.  So they deserve it.)   :angry:

I'm glad you liked Barcelona's Opening London2012.

I own the official Opening Ceremony programme, so if you have any question about the different segments of it, just ask me and I'll try to answer you :;):.

Have you watched the closing ceremony?

some picasso (or goya?) dancers dancing up on the stage area.

That's an allegory of Spanish paintings and culture, with figures from paintings of Goya creating a giant retable, which was created by Mariscal (btw, did you see Cobi riding a big blue bull? lol).

Just watched climax

the torch lighting is the best ever. The atmosphere fantastic

And the end opera segement was a huge triumph - a fitting celebration!

Also loved the giant flag - seemed spontaneous and very in the spirit of true athletism.

One nice point - the Barcelona organiseing chief was tearful as he saw Barcelona's flag run out after all the others - I think he was emotional because he realised he had helped fulfil Barcelona's immortality on the Olympic stage - now Barcelona is one of those immortal Olympic cities.

Didn't someone post a link to a large file containing the opening ceremony earlier here?

it's on the IOC website.

Not that one, baron. I mean the one link from a Spanish network website. Not only that, but it looks like it was a complete copy of the ceremony itself. My viewing of it wasn't good because my laptop couldn't handle that much information at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived