Which Sport/Event To Drop From Olympics

LA84

I choose Pentathlon or Triathlon to put away..

I hope the greco-roman wrestling won't cancelled before the next Rome host.. it would be a very pity :(

may i ask why you would get rid of triathlon???

I'll give MY answer.  It doesn't really feature ANYTHING new.  I mean you already swimming, biking AND running.  So what's so unique about combining the 3?  If they say had the Thirteenlon -- adding 3 more to the decathlon  (I know, I know - it would be called the Triskedeskathlon) -- then THAT would be unique -- not a puny 3 combination.

I'll give MY answer.  It doesn't really feature ANYTHING new.  I mean you already swimming, biking AND running.  So what's so unique about combining the 3?  If they say had the Thirteenlon -- adding 3 more to the decathlon  (I know, I know - it would be called the Triskedeskathlon) -- then THAT would be unique -- not a puny 3 combination.

right!

it is very difficult to take great interest in a sport which will hardly give us any unforgettable champion or deep emotions..

i do agree that triathlon doent give us anything new but only a combination of current sports, but i dont think that it should be removed because it is an extremely popular sport around the world today.

I've said this before, but I will gladly say it again: dropping sports from the Olympics makes no sense. We are talking about the biggest sporting event ever--an event TV organizations pay millions upon millions to show.

The IOC made a big blunder by eliminated baseball (popular in US, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Australia--and even China's putting together a BB team for '08) and especially by nixing softball (a sport with absoutley NO doping violations, and a women's team sport--how does THAT gel with the IOC's mission statement to further sporting for women?).

They should have added ALL 5 events on the agenda, plus more and KEPT softball and baseball. I was really interested to see how GB would fair in both bat-and-ball sports with their automatic host qualifer and I loyally watched softball in Athens (on a side note, I'm currently enjoying the Inagural Softball World Cup on ESPN1/2--USA smashed China today after being beaten by Canada two days prior).

The IOC should also be getting creative by creating new sports and putting imaginative spins on current disciplines! That would be totally awesome to do and would just make alot of sense.

Short, but Sweet Synopsis: Eliminate None, Bring In More, Create More, Expand on Current; Olympics = BIG

I think the recent vote was pointless.....seriously what did it establish...they deleted two sports and then when allowed to chose a new sport they didn't.....where is the sense in that?.....something tells me Baseball and/or Softball will be making a return to the Olympic Program.....especially if 2016 is heading back to the USA.....

Short, but Sweet Synopsis: Eliminate None, Bring In More, Create More, Expand on Current; Olympics = BIG

OMG, and send every NOC, OCOG and host city into debt for the next 100 years trying to build and maintain facilities for all those sports.  The more sports you add, the more expensive the bill is.  And it is already a very expensive bill.

Sports like tri-athlon are great additions because they don't require great investment in infrastructure.  A body of water and a stretch of road.  It is also a popular sport with a large international following.  They don't even swim in a pool so there are zero facilities to build.

On the other hand, a sport like baseball/softball - popular in North America, Carribbean and parts of Asia - do require a specialized facility (a diamond) to be built.  Many of the other sports take place in an existing facility or one with another use.  I can understand why these were dropped - how popular is baseball in London?  As for equality in sport, well, when they dropped softball they also dropped baseball so the eliminated one sport for each gender and the two are very related sports to begin with.

Not anymore so than weightlifting.

Weightlifting is great.

What's so great about it?  Over-bulked up freaks pick up a load of metal, grunt, put their knees and back at risk -- and drop the whole thing??  So what was so exciting about that?

Well, if you like looking at those sweaty, steroid poster boys and girls -- then I guess to each his own.   :rolleyes:

I'd rather watch that than a glorified primary school game.

oh please what a stupid thing to say....baseball and softball are a far cry from this....and really are fascinating Games....it is stupid that they were eliminated while table tennis and taekwando stayed....and really if they ddi replace it with soemthing else, all of the other sports they were considering were really stupid.....but I am not worried...baseball and/or softball will be back someday.....

No it isn't stupid, it's the truth. I played baseball/softball at primary school. Only we call it rounders and that was boring in itself.

wow....well just because you don't like it and think it is stupid....that hardly means it actually is...that is just YOUR opinion....millions of others would beg to differ....it really is a great and very entertaining sport...a lot of strategy and suspense.....too bad the same can't be said about half of the other Olympic sports that are also on the program......

Baseball did itself no favours and frankly with it gone the Olympics are better off. Unlike so many other Olympic sports, including those that are dominated by professionals, baseballs most important corporate and league body, the MLB, put itself above the Olympics at the same time as saying that it's drug policies were never at issue. Clearly the Summer Games wont miss a sport that has sectional interest that over-values itself in a few markets, and can't understand how drugs in sport are a critical issue.

Have a look at this article here from Reuters. Whereas virtually every other sport can find a way to accomodate the needs of representation at the Olympics for athletes, and the issue of steroid abuse, all the MLB can do is say is 'ain't gonna change our plans and steriods has nothing to do with it.

Softball on the other hand...shame that got the flick.

The only one I question really is curling, but I guess it is popular in many of the winter sports countries?  :oo:

Don't take away our blessed curling! It's such a lovely sport! I was up at 4 a.m. watching the finals, on the edge of my seat, last time round! In fact, when the British women won gold (with the last stone), they were voted team of the year! It's not THAT popular south of Scotland, and even there, but it involves such skill and accuracy that it also deserves its place in the Olympic calendar. I hope I've persuaded you to change your mind, LA84?!?!

I voted for synchronised swimming but I also think tennis and football (even as an avid supporter of both sports myself) simply because they're not the pinnacle of a tennis player's or footballer's career like the other sports are.

Skill? Damn.  It was the only Olympic sport that I honestly thought I could contend gold in....  :(

Sports that should have been axed from the summer Olympic programme:

SOFTBALL - The sport has gotten a big boost in the USA thanks to Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, and Lisa Fernandez's domination in Athens. On the flip side, their annihilation of the competition may prove to be detrimental to the global growth of the sport. At least now in other team sports, there is healthy competition. Even the USA's women's soccer team has legitimate competition in Germany and Brazil, among others.

TENNIS - If the majority of tennis players don't give two figs about the Olympics and only compete to fill some quota, then tennis should be axed until some time when an Olympic tennis gold medal is considered worthy to be put alongside a Wimbledon trophy.

BASEBALL - Really, if Cuba is the only country sending its legitimate best players to the Olympics, then why bother having an Olympic baseball tournament?

BOXING - While this sport is part of ancient Olympic folklore, and modern Olympic folklore as well, it's time that Olympic boxing throw in the towel. Women can't compete in world-class boxing. The sport suffers from injuries and questionable judging. Plus, I was bored to tears watching the gold medal finals in Athens on television. I wanted that Amir Khan to annihilate Mario Cesar Kindelan Mesa. And I also thought that Andre Ward was a jerk.

MODERN PENTATHLON - I thought that this sport would be out the door by now. Granted, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it (though I can't seem to grasp the scoring system) at its essence, but why have this sport when you already have athletics, equestrianism, shooting, fencing, and swimming already in the Games?

No it isn't stupid, it's the truth. I played baseball/softball at primary school. Only we call it rounders and that was boring in itself.

wow....well just because you don't like it and think it is stupid....that hardly means it actually is...that is just YOUR opinion....millions of others would beg to differ....it really is a great and very entertaining sport...a lot of strategy and suspense.....too bad the same can't be said about half of the other Olympic sports that are also on the program......

I have tried sitting through a baseball game but found it unbelievably tedious.

Archived