Which Sport/Event To Drop From Olympics

LA84

Nominate your pick for the sport or event that should be dropped from the summer Olympics programme, from Beijing 2008 onwards. I would have liked to have offered also Weightlifting, Freestyle Wrestling, Badminton, Table Tennis, Football and Sailing so feel free to make a comment on those sports too.

Cheers

Andrew

None of them, although I really don't watch any of them.  

The only one I question really is curling, but I guess it is popular in many of the winter sports countries?  :Oo:

The only one I question really is curling, but I guess it is popular in many of the winter sports countries?  :oo:

Don't take away our blessed curling! It's such a lovely sport! I was up at 4 a.m. watching the finals, on the edge of my seat, last time round! In fact, when the British women won gold (with the last stone), they were voted team of the year! It's not THAT popular south of Scotland, and even there, but it involves such skill and accuracy that it also deserves its place in the Olympic calendar. I hope I've persuaded you to change your mind, LA84?!?!

I voted for synchronised swimming but I also think tennis and football (even as an avid supporter of both sports myself) simply because they're not the pinnacle of a tennis player's or footballer's career like the other sports are.

None of them, although I really don't watch any of them.  

The only one I question really is curling, but I guess it is popular in many of the winter sports countries?  :oo:

You'd think that...though it was VERY addicting in Salt Lake

Kari Erickson is still lodged in my brain somewhere

Personally, I'd keep Curling...it seems like it's a rather inexpensive venue also...which always helps

But.....I remain convinced that if MLB was to get involved in the Olympic Baseball Tournament...it would be as popular as the NHL and NBA Olympic laden tournaments.

I just can't get excited for an MLB "World Cup of Hockey" type of event...It doesn't mean anything...Olympic Gold however, is a huge deal

Syncronised Swimming-This seems to be popular, I'll say no

Equestrian Dressage-This is the worst Olympic event ever made! If your going to drop something drop this!(3 day event would be shortened to 2 day or axed altogether).

Modern Pentathlon-Ill say no. It's arguably the ultmate test for an athlete, and it's cheaper.

Baseball-This ones a bit hard. Some countries bring full strength teams, others bring weak teams. I'm not sure

Softball-Should stay. Easy no

Don't take away our blessed curling! It's such a lovely sport! I was up at 4 a.m. watching the finals, on the edge of my seat, last time round! In fact, when the British women won gold (with the last stone), they were voted team of the year! It's not THAT popular south of Scotland, and even there, but it involves such skill and accuracy that it also deserves its place in the Olympic calendar. I hope I've persuaded you to change your mind, LA84?!?!

Alright - curling can stay! :grinning:

Nothing against curling.  Except for when I dated a Canadian once who lived in London, Ont.  I would fly in, hoping to go to Toronto for fun but if there was a curling tournament going on, we wouldn't leave the house!  :glare:  So I've seen a lot of curling on T.V.

In a drunken state usually  :P

i'm from the country where curling was invented and i think it's one of the most ridiculous sports ever. :P  though, i still think it deserves to be in the Olympics because of all the worldwide support for this "sport."

i'm from the country where curling was invented and i think it's one of the most ridiculous sports ever. :P  though, i still think it deserves to be in the Olympics because of all the worldwide support for this "sport."

I thought it was Scotland, like golf?

I don't really think any sport should be dropped

Too bad that the Olympic Games is too big to some people as it is now. How to determine which sport/event must go is difficult.

I must say that during Athens the one sport I usually wrote off as bullsh!t, but suddenly realised how exacting and difficult it must be was rhythmic gymnastics.

Those girls are frickin' amazing.

Anyhow I voted for Boxing - the corruption is on a much larger scale than figure skating or gymnastics (artistic) and as such - while not dropped entirely - shouldbe taken out of the 2008 and 2012 Games as a warning and so they have the opportunity to restructure the organisation.

By the way - curling rocks!

Isn't baseball boring?

Yea, pretty much so unless your North American or Japaneese.

Probably should be dropped as it doesn't have that much of an international following.  Same with softball.

Weightlifting, Greco-Roman Wrestling, Boxing, Dressage, Pentathalon or Triathalon (one or the other), Synchro Swimming.  As for Karate/Tai Kwondo/Judo - choose one please!  

But I keep going back to curling as well. :laugh: I mean, I use my broom for sweeping  :grinning:

• 9 months later...

I think the IOC selected the right sports to be dropped.  Although I think Modern Pentathlon should be dropped too.  I never hear about it, and ive never seen it televised, not even during the Olympics.

Anyways, I think the only way baseball should be an olympic sport is if the MLB takes a 2-3 week holiday so the worlds best ball players can take part.  if that cant be done then the sport shouldn't be in.  NHL takes a 3 week break so that the pros can compete in the Olympics, and the Winter Olympics are getting major exposure with that, so why not Major League Baseball doing the same?

Although with the dropping of Baseball and Softball i think 2 sports should have been added.  Squash for sure and id say Rugby as the other.  I think Taekwondo and Judo are enough martial arts, Karate doesn't need to be added.  Id rank Roller Sports over Karate!

Archived