Sign in to follow this  
Scotguy

New Comp??????

Right you lot

Its been 6 months since anything was posted here and this site has been going down the gurgler for way to long now. Time to get our acts together and make this again the place where we can share our joy of all things Olympics and sporting events.

Shall we have a good old comp to get everyone's spark back? Logo design, Torch Design, full games bid?

1507284203_0.jpg&w=820&t=fit&q=85

Would another Commonwealth Games logo comp be a possible goer while the GC aftermath is still going?

Design a logo for Birmingham 2022?

I don't want this taken the wrong way, but that could a more challenging logo comp than usual.

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

Design a logo for Birmingham 2022?

I don't want this taken the wrong way, but that could a more challenging logo comp than usual.

Hmm - interesting, and I see what you mean. Much idea...

Just now, yoshi said:

Hmm - interesting, and I see what you mean. Much idea...

Quoted because I can't edit - would you want to be the one in charge of it? I've often thought you'd be a good comp-runner Rob :)

I guess Russia 2018 is probably the next time the board gets a bit of an activity uptick. It can’t be far off either. When was the last WC logo comp?

During Euro 2016. Russia 2018 starts June 14, final on July 15. But I am intrigued by a Birmingham 2022 comp too, perhaps even with one (only one mind) other Commonwealth city for 26 - for anyone who doesn't wanna do Brum. But then, of the ones we've done together, the WC was easily most successful. Decisions...

Okay devil’s advocate about bid comps.

The trouble always was, there were lots of people who enthusiastically jumped at the idea and nominated cities and their intention to put together bid books, but when the amount of work needed to do one properly became clear, VERY few actually lasted the distance. I think there’s only been a handful of those comps where we made it to the end with even two finished bids/books. And that was in times when the board was actually healthy.   

Edited by Sir Rols

I agree with Rols and Robs here guys, as much as i would love a full bid book comp, i think that with the board as it is atm, something less time consuming, quicker and more fun for most people would be something like a logo comp or torch design etc.

The trouble with the world cup logo comp is that now that the logos are standardized to the trophy template, it does pose some issue around limits of design. After that higglty piggly, we dont know who we are so lets just have a mix of everything we can ever think of, Birmingham handover, perhaps  2026 logo comp for #BRUM lol might be a good starter. Plus there is always the Eurovision and WC 2018 sweepstake ( oh, its all happening since ive been back :) )

12 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Okay devil’s advocate about bid comps.

The trouble always was, there were lots of people who enthusiastically jumped at the idea and nominated cities and their intention to put together bid books, but when the amount of work needed to do one properly became clear, VERY few actually lasted the distance. I think there’s only been a handful of those comps where we made it to the end with even two finished bids/books. And that was in times when the board was actually healthy.   

...the full bid comp is more like the real Olympic bid cycles these days were everyone jumps in then drops out.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's actually a good point.

What about a 2026 winter olympic games logo contest and a 2032 Summer games logo contest? Do a flip with winter cities being summer cities and summer cities being winter cities?

Maybe we could try a condensed version of a full games?

We still have to make bid books, But there's a template in place and we just have to fill it in instead of making it from scratch?

(Also, If there is a 2026 bid comp, I'm putting a reservation on Sion!)