IOC meeting in Torino

Stu

I don't know whether he has stated if he wants another term as President as far as I'm aware he will wait until 2007 to decide whether to stand down after the Beijing Games.  He has said how much he enjoys the work he does - and he does by all accounts put in a lot of hours in Lausanne and around the world for the IOC.  Rogge must sense the possible dangers ahead for him though not only in the Turin gathering but also the problems that could arise in Beijing that he would have no control over but still be held ultimately responsible, so maybe he is keeping his cards close to his chest so that if the worst happens he will be able to maintain a modicum of dignity.

I think he has possibly been digging his own grave to some extent, over cost - only to have his preferred 2012 candidate rejected in favour of a more expensive one , the sports programme - only to have the two sports rejected and not replaced (then possibly reintroduced).  I do believe he is a far more amiable and open person than Samaranch and is pursuing a course that he believes is right for the future of the Olympic movement.  The only problem is that due to his sincerity he hasn't created a behind-the-scenes network inside the IOC to twist arms and persuade so that an agreement is always on his terms.  There is also a hint of ill feeling in some quaters of the IOC over former colleagues and friends that have been exposed and expelled as corrupt and the introduction of strict rules surrounding a host city campaign.  

I think it's a shame for Rogge who really wanted to turn the IOC in a different direction but I really don't see a second term for him as President at the moment.  The timing of some of his reform proposals regarding size and cost has been unfortunate as suddenly the biggest and most glamorous cities in the world want the Games and are willing to pay huge amounts of money for the privilege.

I don't know of any obvious replacements for Rogge though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahemmm.

My first order of business when I take control in 2009 will be to turn the IOC into a born-again Christian organization.  A small cross will be added over the 5 rings; and the motto will also be modified to:  Allez soldati christiani - citius!  Altius!  Fortius!

- Boxing, weighlifting, swimming, taekwando and field hockey will be eliminated.  Ballroom dancing will take their place!!

And everyone will be happy!!

:idea:

Obviously you, that goes without saying!    :upside:

Although I don't think much of your manifesto!

Will healing and miracles become an Olympic event - Where would that leave the Paralympics everyone will see and have legs?

Will healing and miracles become an Olympic event - Where would that leave the Paralympics everyone will see and have legs?

That's another thing I want to correct.  The Paralympix will come before the O's.  So the disabled and handicapped at one Games will, after the miracles I ordain, become whole again and be able to participate in the regular O's too.

Of course, this will be all done w/o too much fanfare.  Maybe press credentials will be very limited.

Will you be performing baptisms in the Olympic pool while the swimming events are competing?  

After the wrestling can competitors hug and kiss (although not that homosexual nonsense - brotherly).

What about cursing other religions - a cartoon drawing event or something?

:upside:

I don't know whether he has stated if he wants another term as President as far as I'm aware he will wait until 2007 to decide whether to stand down after the Beijing Games.  He has said how much he enjoys the work he does - and he does by all accounts put in a lot of hours in Lausanne and around the world for the IOC.  Rogge must sense the possible dangers ahead for him though not only in the Turin gathering but also the problems that could arise in Beijing that he would have no control over but still be held ultimately responsible, so maybe he is keeping his cards close to his chest so that if the worst happens he will be able to maintain a modicum of dignity.

I think he has possibly been digging his own grave to some extent, over cost - only to have his preferred 2012 candidate rejected in favour of a more expensive one , the sports programme - only to have the two sports rejected and not replaced (then possibly reintroduced).  I do believe he is a far more amiable and open person than Samaranch and is pursuing a course that he believes is right for the future of the Olympic movement.  The only problem is that due to his sincerity he hasn't created a behind-the-scenes network inside the IOC to twist arms and persuade so that an agreement is always on his terms.  There is also a hint of ill feeling in some quaters of the IOC over former colleagues and friends that have been exposed and expelled as corrupt and the introduction of strict rules surrounding a host city campaign.  

I think it's a shame for Rogge who really wanted to turn the IOC in a different direction but I really don't see a second term for him as President at the moment.  The timing of some of his reform proposals regarding size and cost has been unfortunate as suddenly the biggest and most glamorous cities in the world want the Games and are willing to pay huge amounts of money for the privilege.

It is obvious that some of those "old-school" IOC members will want to put their names forward to oust or succeed Rogge for the position. It will be either the "fresh blood" kind or the ones that Rogge defeated over at the last such campaign in 2001.

I have heard from my Korean contacts here in NYC that they are really hoping the Danish stuff blows up the Copenhagen 2009 bid.

maybe it won't be a factor...

Maybe Cairo will sneak in !

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Well, we are all hopeing over here (well, those of us who are interested in this stuff) that all this wont hurt Copenhagens chances, but lets be honest, how could it not?

The IOC is not exactly known for their love of politics and the public eye. And the mere fact that they "might" be cought in the storm, curently brewing over Denmark, may be enough for some members to put their thumbs down on the idea...

But, lets hope that wont happen, or that things will magicly blow over in a few days....

It's amazing how so many of the cities bidding to host the 2009 Congress have had problems lately, particularly Copenhagen, perhaps the least likely to have much controversy.  I still believe that the protests will have minimal influence upon the choice of the host city, however, it is showing no sign of ending at the moment and the longer the situation continues the more unlucky it may prove to be for Copenhagen.  This will be a real shame.

Yes indeed...I read about it yesterday....somewhere else...but the news here is always at least 24 hours behind reality....

I am on my way to Torino...and will be checking in on the session for my company...we are interested in the 2009 meetings for some professional reasons....

It does not look good for the danes...but who really knows??

Athens was mentioned by my boss as the neutral alternative....

Yes indeed...I read about it yesterday....somewhere else...but the news here is always at least 24 hours behind reality....

I am on my way to Torino...and will be checking in on the session for my company...we are interested in the 2009 meetings for some professional reasons....

What professional reason, if you dont mind me asking?

It was on the AP wire.

"but the news here is always at least 24 hours behind reality...."

No offense - but that's a ridiculous statement.  Always?  We've served up breaking news stories and scoops so often that we've been quoted in mainstream news as the source.

We're right on most bid-related stories (our specialty) and did an exceptional job on the 2012 race.  We've reported on the scene from bid cities for the Olympics, Commonwealth Games AND the 2009 Congress.  When it comes to the big stories, we're usually reporting it first (I can back that up if anyone needs it).

But in "reality" - ALL publications, whether they be Web, print, broadacast, etc. will not get every story fast all of the time.

But Stan, we appreciate that you find great value in GamesBids.com - coming here to post, learn and share.  Our busy forums are a testament to the fact that GB is a hub to Olympic bid and business information.  We're confident that we have the biggest Olympic information network in the world and part of that is due to your help.  More than news, we offer a community for information and support.

Anyhow, didn't you already leave for Torino a few days ago?

stan - i agree total with you. forums make for fun to read but if it wasn't for ap and everyone else gb couldn't exist. cuz that is where they get their news. from everyone else on internet. today there is story about insurance. that is about three years old! i would be surprisd if gb ever even went to olympics. they only take junkets. but forums are lots of fun.

stan - i agree total with you. forums make for fun to read but if it wasn't for ap and everyone else gb couldn't exist. cuz that is where they get their news. from everyone else on internet. today there is story about insurance. that is about three years old! i would be surprisd if gb ever even went to olympics. they only take junkets. but forums are lots of fun.

Alright stan1896/buenavista - the jig is up!

Only one account per person please, it is against the rules to post under two aliases, especially to pursue false agendas.  It's not too hard to agree with oneself.

Please let me know which alias you would like to continue to post under.  And...if you really want a fair and credible debate over the topic - please tell the forumers who you really are so they have proper perspective on things.

US IOC member Anita DeFrantz will todat try and persuade her colleagues to reconcider returning softball to the 2012 Olympic programme - she says that softball suffered due to being too closely associated with baseball and that this was unfair.  Although it is not on the official timetable to be discussed, if 36 or more members agree that the issue needs to be debated it will have to be considered.

Softball - DeFrantz - Torino

sorry to dissappoint but we are not same person.

why are you so rude to your users? i said i enjoy the forums.

i will say who i am when you say how many games you have attended or covered ... or how many cities you have visited. "many" doesn't count.

interesting that you post lausanne story like it is yours but is really ap story. isn't that considered copyright violation? if you were reporter with real paper you would be fired for that.

sorry to dissappoint but we are not same person.

why are you so rude to your users? i said i enjoy the forums.

i will say who i am when you say how many games you have attended or covered ... or how many cities you have visited. "many" doesn't count.

interesting that you post lausanne story like it is yours but is really ap story. isn't that considered copyright violation? if you were reporter with real paper you would be fired for that.

Ok Buenavista - I'll deal with your remarks one-by-one before kicking you off the board for serious violations to our rules.  Of course, you'll likely continue your agenda under another alias - but will find that too.

"sorry to dissappoint but we are not same person."

Sorry to dissappoint you, but clearly you are not familiar with Websites and how through sophisticated logging we can identify users on the same computer.  Sure, it could have been someone else on the same computer but of all the computers in all the world what are the chances that two different people (or two not in kahoots) with the same agenda post from the same place.  We have other readers who post from the same computer as each other but they maintain constructive and separate posts.

"why are you so rude to your users? i said i enjoy the forums."

Experienced users here know me well.  They know I leave honest, constructive posters alone but I am quick to act on fraudulent ones.

"i will say who i am when you say how many games you have attended or covered ... or how many cities you have visited. "many" doesn't count."

Again, many others in this forum know me well from other contexts - either from the many television appearances I've made, lectures and talks I've given, quotes in newspapers or entire columns such as the ones in the New York Sun.  I don't need to speak for myself in these forums the information is readily available elsewhere.  I've visited enough bid committees to have interesting conversations about "your boss".  Also for further clarification - GamesBids.com doesn't officially cover the Olympic Games themselves so the number of Games I've "covered" is zero.  The number of cities I've been to is several - ask my accountant for more details if you need them.  Until then I guess you will continue to hide and post under your cowardly shield of anonymity.

"interesting that you post lausanne story like it is yours but is really ap story. isn't that considered copyright violation? if you were reporter with real paper you would be fired for that."

The Lausanne story simply states that there were 8 cities and Lausanne dropped out after sending a letter to the IOC.  I heard that is several conversations on Sunday.  Does AP own that fact because they printed it?  If so, does that mean we own the Copenhagen story from today that came out BEFORE the major newswires AND before the "ATR" story (that ironically after "someone" said our news was 24 hours old)?

Anyhow - that's all I have to say.  You're banned.

If you DO get the 2009 Congress bid book from the Danish OC, would you let others have it by email?  I'd like to have it too....thanks.

Archived