IOC meeting in Torino

Stu

As the IOC will be gathering in Turin in the next few weeks, will there be any major policy decisions to be made?

I read somewhere that the issue of the Summer Olympics sport programme may resurface, much to President Rogge's dismay.  Some in the IOC are pushing for the reintroduction of softball and perhaps even baseball in time for London, while others still want those two sports to be replaced.  

Will this be another example of Rogge's opinion being overridden by his colleagues as it was in Singapore?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm sure they will mention the receipt of the 2014 questionnaires, and of course they will discuss how they can fleece the Japanese over their Tokyo 2016 bid.  The Japanese have proven to be extremely talented 'gift givers' - thus I imagine Rogge and co. will tell his boys to behave.

They will also make a big song and dance about the Olympic Truce which will happen as genocide continues, armed conflicts escalate and insurgents attack.  Gotta love the truce.

I was about to post about how Copenhagen would probably be able to assume that it would be the host of the Assembly in 2009, which will be decided on the 8 February in Turin, afterall Mexico City dropped out and Busan now seems to be embroiled in controversy.  However, nothing is so simple as Denmark suddenly finds itself in the middle of one of the most pointless international diplomatic squabbles ever.  It seems this story won't go away and will surely still be in the news next week as it seems to be escalating at the moment.

Danish Dispute

Will this have consequences for Copenhagen next week?

Oh, so are the mullahs now going to issue a fatwa against the ether -- and declare the internet heathen?   :rolleyes:  Yeah, like Darius (or was it Xerxes?) who had the Dardanelles whipped because it would not obey his command.   (Oh, but wait, before you do that, we have to send out a dozen secret codes for the next wave of suicide fuckahs!)

Please.  The muslim mindset has to get out of the fetid 6th century septic tank it's in, and start thinking at least...OK, we'll give them a little leeway... late 20th-century.  Mr. Muhammed, please grow up; you're so retro.  

And it wants to be taken seriously?  :rolleyes:  But I digress...  

I don't think this will impact Copenhagen's chances.  The Congress is about a secular, non-Muslim issue, and it's only about a 110 or so individuals, and all their attendant equerries.  Nothing to do with changing the movements of the moon that may impact Ramadan or what-have-you.  But Denmark will have to increase its security budget on this little bash a lot more.

Agreed, it's a completely ridiculous dispute.  

I just wondered whether the IOC would try to avoid any criticism in the Arab world - I hope you're right and they ignore it.  This decision is perhaps not that high profile around the world anyway.

I just wondered whether the IOC would try to avoid any criticism in the Arab world - I hope you're right and they ignore it.  This decision is perhaps not that high profile around the world anyway.

Yeah, other than the bidding cities, I think it's only this little enclave of ours (and possibly the 4 ATR subscribers) that really cares.   :rolleyes:

This is utter insanity. It is not an act of provocation. It is freedom of expression in action. This is why the BBC showed, and was right to show, 'Jerry Springer: The Opera' last year, despite howls of protest from Christian groups. The moment we start censoring ourselves because of what one or other religious groups may say is the moment we become less civilised as a society.

Yeah, other than the bidding cities, I think it's only this little enclave of ours (and possibly the 4 ATR subscribers) that really cares.  

You really think that many subscribe to ATR when all the information you could ever need on the Olympics can be found here?

:love:

Don Porter, President of the International Softball Federation, is optimistic that softball will be returned to the Olympic programme in London 2012 at the IOC session in Turin.  He has spent much of the last few months gaining support of individual IOC members and hopes to reverse the decision made in Singapore last summer.

Don Porter, President of the International Softball Federation, is optimistic that softball will be returned to the Olympic programme in London 2012 at the IOC session in Turin.  He has spent much of the last few months gaining support of individual IOC members and hopes to reverse the decision made in Singapore last summer.

I hope men's Sychronized Swimming can sneak in there somehow.   :shocked:

As you said earlier, Stu, this will be a real test of strength for Rogge. I agree, if he get's overruled in Torino, I don't see him making it to a second term.

It is possible that the Turin congress will be crucial for the immediate direction of the IOC and the future of Rogge himself - I don't really believe that he has developed strong enough connections within the IOC to reinforce any behind-the-scenes maneuvering in his direction.  If softball is reintroduced it will be a major undermining of his authority, if baseball is reintroduced as well, I think his future will have been decided.  

Even if Rogge survives unscaved from the Turin meetings there is the minefield of the future Games in Beijing which are completely out of his control.  It will be a massive test for the Olympic movement to maneuvre around issues such as human rights and freedom of the press with the whole world watching.  Perhaps the pretenders to the crown should start their plotting now.

I think there is much more accurate and wideranging information over there. GB is mostly useful as an opinion place.

Compare: just this weekend they post much more on the 2009 IOC meeting stuff than GB, for example. GB seems only to report the same stuff my Google alerts bring...and they are way ahead of GB on everything.

I subscribe and I am very satisfied.

But enuf of that.

I have heard from my Korean contacts here in NYC that they are really hoping the Danish stuff blows up the Copenhagen 2009 bid.

maybe it won't be a factor...

Maybe Cairo will sneak in !

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

The situation does seem to be escalating way out of control with many more anti-Denmark demonstrations today - I don't think this will have any detrimental affect on Copenhagen's bid though, if anything the Europeans will rally behind it in support now, and there are a lot more Europeans in the IOC.

What's your opinion on the future of Rogge Stan?

I think there is much more accurate and wideranging information over there. GB is mostly useful as an opinion place.

Compare: just this weekend they post much more on the 2009 IOC meeting stuff than GB, for example. GB seems only to report the same stuff my Google alerts bring...and they are way ahead of GB on everything.

I subscribe and I am very satisfied.

But enuf of that.

I have heard from my Korean contacts here in NYC that they are really hoping the Danish stuff blows up the Copenhagen 2009 bid.

maybe it won't be a factor...

Maybe Cairo will sneak in !

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Hi Stan1896 - welcome to the forums.

I just needed to comment on your post comparing GB and ATR (and I don't mean to discredit anyone, just wanted to point out something)...

All of our reporting on the Congress, and especially our piece on Copenhagen, is first hand for us.  I spent some time in Copenhagen just last week and met with some of the key people - and we've done lots of homework on the background process.

ATR's story on Copenhagen was a bit out of date - they reported the old hotel for IOC members at the Congress and missed the important fact that Copenhagen just announced the construction of a new hotel attached to the Congress Center for the IOC family.  You may remember GB reported that when it was first announced a couple of weeks ago.  It's hard to blame ATR though - there is so much going on at once.

If anything looks similar to the stuff on Google it may be because they may have "leveraged" our story (almost word for word in one case).

GamesBids.com has a worldwide network of contacts that help with many of our stories - some of them are right here in these forums!

ATR and GB have their own niches that overlap a bit.  I'm sure you'll agree that we're the experts in the bid arena and our BidIndex was first out of the blocks and very well received.  Another publication announced their own version which is good for them (and flattering for us!).  I think our background, knowledge and contacts within the bid industry is unbeatable.

ATR has us beat on some of the internal workings of the IOC and has great contacts withing the USOC.  For general Olympic business, they're the experts.

It's a big industry with lots of room for media players.

IOC Executive Board Meeting, Turin, 5-7 February 2006

Sunday, 5 February 2006

Time Meetings/Events Place

9.00 a.m. – 12.30 p.m. IOC Executive Board Meeting

- IOC administration activities reports Lingotto Conference Centre

1.30 p.m. Press briefing by IOC Communications Director Giselle Davies Sala 500, Main Press Centre

3.00 p.m. – 5.30 p.m. IOC Executive Board Meeting

- IOC Commissions reports

- Drawing of lots for cities interested in hosting the 2009 Olympic Congress and 121st IOC Session  Lingotto Conference Centre

6.30 p.m. Press briefing by IOC Communications Director Giselle Davies Sala 500, Main Press Centre

Monday, 6 February 2006

9.00 a.m. – 12.30 p.m. IOC Executive Board Meeting

- Report on Summer and Winter Olympic Sports Federations

- IOC Commissions reports

- Torino 2006 - Report by TOROC and by J.-C. Killy

- London 2012 - Report by Denis Oswald Lingotto Conference Centre

1.30 p.m. Press briefing by IOC Communications Director Giselle Davies Sala 500, Main Press Centre

3.00 p.m. – 5.00 p.m. IOC Executive Board Meeting

- Beijing 2008 - Report by BOCOG and by H. Verbruggen

- Vancouver 2010 - Report by R. Fasel  Lingotto Conference Centre

6.30 p.m. IOC President’s Press Conference Sala 500, Main Press Centre

Tuesday, 7 February 2006

From 8 a.m. Visit of the Olympic Village by the IOC Executive Board and Athletes’ Commission – limited media access (see below) Olympic Village

7 p.m. Opening Ceremony of the 118th IOC Session – limited media access (see below) Teatro Regio di Torino

Does Rogge want to have another term as IOC President? Do you have confidence in his leadership?

In any case, I hope that the IOC SESSION for this year in the Olympic city won't be as bad as what was the highlight of SLC 2002 (like we haven't seen the last of it yet).

As for this meeting, is this EB meeting here going to confirm the people it nominated earlier some meetings ago as new IOC members?

Archived