Commonwealth Games 2018... Your verdict?

:)The Opening Ceremony...Too long and didn't overly get the party started. C

:DThe Actual Commonwealth Games...Excellent. A

:angry:The host broadcast rights holder, some unknown til now USA based provider. (not Channel 7)...D...and boy are they starting to cop it from the NZ and Australian early Breakfast shows the morning after.

:wacko:The Closing Ceremony...D...What a shambles, and where were the Athletes???? So much for the great beach party that was originally planned.

:DThe Gold Coast leading the way for the "Regional cities hosting" concept...A winner, but you need to be an outstanding place.A

:rolleyes:Australia overall as a host...Really, should just alternate the games between them and UK...and only because you need eight years to prepare a host region...Adelaide, your next.A

Finally:

B)New Zealand at the Commonwealth Games...Thanks for the memories, good, bad, and outstanding! Credibility for some sports that had the finger pointed at them redeeming themselves. Some did disappoint, and others simply smashed it out of the park they were playing in. For a little country, 46 medals evenly matched with one extra silver, oh and the Good Sportsmanship award in there too, Bloody Brilliant!!!:lol:A

;)Thanks Australia!A

Edited by Alexjc
  • Like 1

I am from Latin America... Delhi and Glasgow I could watch them online, even the ceremonies live....

Now it was very difficult to watch the games. On YouTube there was 3 channels that never recorded the events... wether you watched them live or not... and period...

And I stlll can not watch the full Opening Ceremony...

What happened with the broadcast this time????

'I'm back bitches' :D

Decided to come out of posting retirement to give my verdict on these games.

The sports side of it - first class A+

The ceremonies were the worst i have ever seen and that closing was a train wreck, easily the worst closing ceremony ever of all = Z-

The Birmingham 2022 handover segment was the worst since Manchester's handover in KL 98. i didn't even watch until the end, i was that bored. Birmingham does not seem to have an identity and that shone through last night...

For various reasons I've watched less of the Games than I thought I would :(, but have caught bits of everything. Don't really want to give a verdict based on what I've seen as it wouldn't be fair.

Is it fair to say though that the last host city which nailed both the Games and the ceremonies is still Melbourne?! It seems Gold Coast and Glasgow hosted terrific Games bookended by terribleness whilst Delhi did the opposite with ceremonies more or less the only redeeming feature.

I liked the opening ceremony - closing was werid and I liked the live performance from Birmngham (thought the production and camera work were great). Birmingham will have an identity problem when compared to the Gold Coast - climate and scenary wise. The games certainly had an amazing back drop and that came across well on TV.

The games were ok - they suffer for a UK audience from being on in the early hours and then when most people are at work. I think believ a lot of athletes outside of Australia weren't that bothered about participating as April is so early the Northern Hemisphere's sporting calendar.

Enjoyable to watch when I had the time and energy to be bothered to!

6 hours ago, adrianme17 said:

Birmingham will have an identity problem when compared to the Gold Coast - climate and scenary wise.

True enough, but they could turn that on its head and promote Birmingham for what it is: a major industrial and commercial centre since before the Dutch explored New Holland.

10 hours ago, Scotguy said:

'I'm back bitches' :D

Decided to come out of posting retirement to give my verdict on these games.

The sports side of it - first class A+

The ceremonies were the worst i have ever seen and that closing was a train wreck, easily the worst closing ceremony ever of all = Z-

The Birmingham 2022 handover segment was the worst since Manchester's handover in KL 98. i didn't even watch until the end, i was that bored. Birmingham does not seem to have an identity and that shone through last night...

:lol: Welcome back - straight to the point - and nailed it!!!!

Finally have some time to share my thoughts. 

I was a volunteer for these games so they were extra special for me as a Brisbane local. 

The Opening Ceremony - A+. Thoroughly loved every second of it. Great show, good performances, the Indigenous recognition was a nice touch. Loved Delta's performance and the tribute to Migaloo. Only thing that could've been improved is having John Farnham singing You're the Voice, Daryl Braithwaite singing Horses or having Kylie perform ;) 

The Games itself - A+. Can't really fault them. The inclusiveness of these games were incredible. Equal number of medal events for men and women, including para-competition with able-bodied competition was a fantastic move and I loved watching events I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch. Was fortunate enough to attend the athletics and the swimming, both of which were incredible. The organizers managed to create a party atmosphere with the crowd, most seats were sold out, never bored. The competitions were fantastic, World and Commonwealth records being broken left, right and centre. 

Channel 7 Broadcasters - A-. Channel 7 did a good job in my opinion. I love the multi-platform streaming through the app and online as well as having two TV channels for the Games. Disliked how they preferred to show replays from the night before of swimming/athletics/Aussies winning medals instead of showing live sports that Aussies weren't in. But that is always a recurring theme. Overall an A-. 

Closing Ceremony - F. Actually got to attend this Ceremony, paid $150 for the ticket and was definitely disappointed. Was shocked by the athletes walking in earlier without much of a big deal made. The show was completely amateur which was bizarre cause the Opening Ceremony was really well done in my opinion. Having decent Aussie performers like Dami and the Veronica's sing Aussie classics of artists who weren't there like Sia and Kylie was just stupid. Should've allowed them to sing their own songs which are at least well known across Australia. Crowd was nowhere near a sell out which was very embarrassing. Seven speeches in a row was also stupid.

Birmingham Handover - F. One of the worst handovers i've seen. Completely self indulgent, I felt like I learned nothing about the city of Birmingham besides the fact they like to rap and waste time. Two videos was stupid, only highlight was the hilarious outfit worn by the Lord Mayor.

Australia's performance - A+. Can't deny that the Aussies had an amazing games. But, it does feel a tad bittersweet after quite a lot of failures at the Rio Olympics. Hopefully Cate Campbell, Cam McEvoy and many more who appeared to choke in Rio can build on this success going into Tokyo.  Also really hope Sally Pearson's withdrawal isn't the ending we see for her. Hope she can make it to the Tokyo Olympics. 

Had a fantastic two weeks and my volunteer experience was incredible. Glad to have been a part of it. 

• Thanks 2