Oh wow. Channel 7 who are the official broadcasters of these games are savaging the closing ceremony.

Apparently they were given an international broadcast so they didn’t get to show the athletes walking out. Everyone was livid they didn’t get to see Kurt Fearnley walk out as flag bearer and 7 have basically said, it’s not our fault, blame the organisers. 

This is getting torn apart. Haven’t seen a single positive comment anywhere. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Non-geo blocked version of the Seven presenters:  

According to the BBC it's "mellow" not soppy !

Hands up who thought the Bee Gees would get a nod

My God- just watched the host broadcasters in Aus calling the closing an embarrassing piece of s^&t!!!! They really let rip....absolutely unprecedented.

One caveat I would put on it is not to criticise all the volunteer performers (the hundreds of kids) who put in months of practice for fee. They did their best...this will be a highlight of their lives.

There were seven speeches in a row!!!! WTF

1 hour ago, Brekkie Boy said:

I wanted to give an upvote for the video and a sad face for the story it told ! Their frustration pretty much matches my own views on realising that the athletes were virtually being ignored, also the BBC commentators' views, and probably many others.

:huh: Oh Wow!

:( The Closing ceremony is being panned as one of the worst!!!! The biggest and obvious criticism is that the Athletes March into the stadium wasn't broadcast and there were a shade under 5000 seats empty. Also it seemed that the Officials were too self congratulatory to notice the athletes which we couldn't see thanks to the use of lights and above ground cameras. 

I have to admit I switched off as the delay drag by TVNZ and it's ads begin to annoy. Apparently the moment Prince Edward closed the games, everyone started to leave and the entertainment got tackier with a rendition of Xanadu included in the mix.- Saw that on the breakfast news - have to agree. Most of the athletes had left to the outside bars and wrap up parties back at the village. Some had planes to catch home.

:( What a shame.

Edited by Alexjc

Not impressed at all with that Closing. And Birmingham, you should have dumped that film it was really, really, really bad. Also you should have dumped the rapper and just done the one take dance routine, at least that was entertaining and adventurous. I'm still undecided about the spoken word performer. I just can't believe how bad that film was though, I don't think I even understood what they were trying to say. It should make people want to visit not put them off!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Just saw their ripping. Can't say I blame Basil and Johanna one bit and even Mel and Jason. Gee, you would think the organizers and host broadcasters would easily assume why the Olympics would never go this route in getting restrictive on what to show instead of "wrecking the tradition". Thus why the Commonwealth Games would never act like this. Athletes left because the CC was becoming dull. You certainly assume given their nature that Australians would put on a greater show than this--and we know they will continue to do so after this pothole in the road. In this video, we see Mel and Jason adding their disgust:

Oh dear! :wacko:

Yeah - inexcusable. I'm amazed the CGF signed off on this, the parade is THE point of any closing ceremony. I don't mind innovation & doing things a bit differently in ceremonies, but some things should never be messed with. It's a great shame - pretty much everything bar the ceremonies was as near-perfect as a games can be :(

Breaking News.

"We got it so wrong"

David Beattie has admitted that not showing the Athletes arriving into the stadium and the general near ignoring of the Athletes in the closing ceremony will forever tarnish the Closing Ceremony on what were otherwise a great Games.

Pretty much up front in the News today.

Sad really...:(

Edited by Alexjc

Yes- Gold Coast snatched defeat from the claws of victory!

I found it so refreshing in an era of PR Spin and corporate speak, hearing Joanna Griggs and Basil of the host broadcaster stand in front of a camera and say- that was a load of crap!  Respect to them for risking their jobs to say that.

And respect To Beattie (chairman of GOLDOC) for fronting every media outlet this morning and say they stuffed it up.

Gentlemen - that is what I meant when I referred to the "clusterfuck" a couple of weeks back - the ceremony "media guides" were leaked to a chosen few and thus I opted to keep the he!! away for the most part.

Awful in every way.  You have The Veronicas there and don't get them to sing their own songs?  Who the he!! was butchering Kate Ceberano's god-awful 'Bedroom Eyes' WHEN KATE WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE?  From what I heard Kylie was approached but passed when not given creative control over her segment (plus she did Glasgow). Other names thrown around (but unconfirmed) were Bernard Fanning, Darren Hayes and Sia - none of which agreed.

I did like the Brum video - the rest though - eeeeeeeeep.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy
  • Like 1

I honestly think David Zolkwer and team has just lost the plot, their last couple of closing ceremonies have been pretty awful (I'm looking at you Glasgow). I think it's a case of Commonwealth Games fatigue with him producing 4 of the last 5 ceremonies. I think their ceremonies structure has just become a bit tired and too simplistic. Amazing considering Manchester 2002 had what I'd consider almost the perfect closing (though ironically that was directed by an Aussie, Nigel Jamieson ....perhaps a lesson there).

I loved the quote from an Aussie jorno about both ceremonies. The opening was like a Rock Eisteddfod on sand, and the closing an early rehearsal of carols by candlelight .

• Haha 1

Also so disappointing with Birmingham

Their handover looked like it was put together by a council funded organisation who think they are in touch with *the kids these days* . Their video included every naff cliche that you could expect from a *diverse* city. We had the handicapable, we had the gay couple, gees what else can we add. Oh did we mention we are diverse ..... you can tell that also by the way we use a rapper  . To be fair we shouldn't have expected much from the start when the Mayor instructed the Commonwealth to *look at the screen* ..... how all great theatrical productions begin no doubt. To be honest, the video in itself was quite cool (despite it essentially ripping off the Amy MacDonald and the people of Glasgow segment - one of the cool bits of the 2014 opening), it was just poorly produced. I doubt there was an actual production company involved. 

If I'm being generous I'd put it down to a lack of time.... they have much to prove. 

• Like 1

I cant help but think at Birmingham 2022 Opening Ceremony we will see teenagers wearing multi coloured clothes, playing instruments made out of recycled plastic bottles and dustbin lids :P

• Like 1

Oh yeah, an updated Manchester 2002 *here's some bits of shite we found on the side of the street so now we are turning it into musical instruments. To be inclusive, let's have a few lads in wheelchairs involved* 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mattygs said:

Oh yeah, an updated Manchester 2002 *here's some bits of shite we found on the side of the street so now we are turning it into musical instruments. To be inclusive, let's have a few lads in wheelchairs involved* 

Haha my thoughts exactly Matty....Nice one

Yeah, the standard tropes of UK ceremonies - not necessarily bad in themselves (quite refreshing in 2002 when it still felt new) but with so many in the last 20 years, it's become a cliché. I kinda hope Birmingham will break with the formula - you can surely still be diverse, youthful etc etc without the whole dustbin drum thing again. 

2 hours ago, mattygs said:

the video in itself was quite cool (despite it essentially ripping off the Amy MacDonald and the people of Glasgow segment

Do you mean the video, or the live dance performance to "Mr Blue Sky" almost entirely filmed with a single rapidly moving camera?