Australia: It's next Commonwealth Games Hosting.

:) Easily the most Successful Commonwealth Games so far, Gold Coast has paved the way for the new era of hosting.

Clearly the regional cities and districts are a great catalyst for the continuation of the Games.

So where now for Australia?

There are so many regional and secondary cities that can now feel confident in studying a hosting option. 

Gold Coast proved that it can be a tool for growth with no need to interrupt what are now jammed up and bloated mega cities. Gold Coast now have excellent venues that will continue to develop as this region grows into an even bigger city that can join forces with Brisbane and Sunshine Coast to the north as a potential Olympic host in 2032.

Australia has options...who's next? 

(Footnote: This page was set up after the last event and before the Closing Ceremony...)

Edited by Alexjc

Yes, I think Adelaide is the only major Australian city not to host.

Alternating between the UK and Australia isn't going to be sustainable in the long term for the games which should still have a future if only they can get people to host it.  I think clearly with the Gold Coast and Birmingham to follow (and to an extent Glasgow too) there has to be a focus on not building loads of new venues for the Commonwealths and hosting in cities and areas which can adapt relatively easily to host the games, and that perhaps is the real Gold Coast legacy.   I would hope if anything the Gold Coast inspires New Zealand to put a bid in - timing hasn't been quite right in the past with the focus on the Rugby World Cup then the Christchurch Earthquake but 2026 would be perfect for them.    As good a job as Australia do it would be nice it it was more at least another 16 years until they hosted again.

Adelaide sticks out as the next host. The problem with the games are that nations want to attend but are reluctant to host... (pointing at NZ and Singapore). Australia does make a great host simply because they know how to handle large multi events well. It would be nice if Aussie can skip a cycle but really there is every chance we will be back in 2026 or even 2030. Especially if a future Brisbane 32 Olympics bid fails...and NZ still throws a hospital pass. 

• Like 1

I just moved to Adelaide- so I really want it to host. Had it got its act together, it would have had 2018. It is its turn as Australais 5th city (GC is 6th).

Adelaide has now got its fantastic new stadium in the city, a new Aquatic Centre (it will host the Olympic trials in 2020) and a pretty good second one, an indoor velodrome...plenty of indoor venues, so facilities are not a problem. The weather has been very good the last couple of weeks (but will soon get cold).

The major problem would be accommodation-then again the Gold Coast had a huge excess apparently when the locals cleared out.

The state budget is in surplus too (as opposed to the mining states).

Is Adelaide Oval wide enough for a track? Only it looks a bit odd as a cricket field. I know Perth has its new stadium that's circular & screams out for a Commonwealth track - although I agree it should be Adelaide's turn. Although it would be better forthe Games for alternation to break this cycle - it'll be 16 years minimum between 'other' countries by 2026. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, yoshi said:

Is Adelaide Oval wide enough for a track? Only it looks a bit odd as a cricket field. I know Perth has its new stadium that's circular & screams out for a Commonwealth track - although I agree it should be Adelaide's turn. Although it would be better forthe Games for alternation to break this cycle - it'll be 16 years minimum between 'other' countries by 2026. 

It can take up to ten years to go from and idea to reality. Track back to "Jim Jones'" GC 2018 Bid thread which began back in 2009 to get an idea of what the logistics involves. I doubt if there will be a bid from Australia for 2026 simply because no city has truly got serious, not even Adelaide. Perth has shown interest but not until 2030 which could have a log jam bid war due to it's significance. 

Oh and here's the first credible hint from New Zealand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/102994169/what-would-a-new-zealand-hosted-commonwealth-games-look-like-in-2026-or-beyond

Edited by Alexjc
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 3:41 PM, iceyone444 said:

Not for another 3-4 games - we have hosted 2 in 12 years - that is enough.

Hey Newbie...Says who?...

• 1 month later...