Jump to content

Canada on the Gold Coast


Recommended Posts

Canada will be sending approx 282 athletes competing in every sport minus netball.

The goal is for 100+ medals, which would likely put Canada in third overall.

I am expecting a break out in swimming but other sports like athletics/wrestling are missing stars or rebuilding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canada seems to be bouncing around  the 4, 5, 6 position with NZ and South Africa as the table bases itself on Golds, but is really is already in 3rd in medal totals, bumping off India who lead the battle for "bronze" position thanks to its 10 golds for now. 

I'm predicting Canada should pick up another handful of Gold to cement its position in third by the end of the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both the men's and women's Canadian basketball teams are now in the Commonwealth semifinals with the men knocking off England in the qualifying finals yesterday. The women are already in by virtue of finishing second behind Australia in Group A that assures semifinal byes with England ahead in the semifinals. Canada's men is filled with CIS players and staff from college--I dare not call it U Sports!--and will face New Zealand. Odds are good for Canadian basketball medals!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where do we start with this one.

Arguably the worst Multi-sport event performance for Canada in recent memory. Literally everything that could go wrong, did. Canada's athletes were not prepared for this event and it showed, with less than half the golds won from Glasgow. Another startling statistic is no able-bodied Canadian male won a gold medal! What does this show about the sport system in this country?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Where do we start with this one.

Arguably the worst Multi-sport event performance for Canada in recent memory. Literally everything that could go wrong, did. Canada's athletes were not prepared for this event and it showed, with less than half the golds won from Glasgow. Another startling statistic is no able-bodied Canadian male won a gold medal! What does this show about the sport system in this country?

Canada's team is no larger than New Zealand's...Would've thought you would have at least 350. But you do notice India finally making the effort to be taken seriously. 

I suppose having a successful Winter sports team could be a factor.

I do have to admit Canada has faded from the Commonwealth Games since 1994 and the shock for Australia swiping 80% of everything, and then constant aborted attempts at finding a host city all the while taking on political pushers who gun for Olympic hosting glory - and end up swiping funding when successful. 

Don't be too hard on yourselves. 

Edited by Alexjc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Alexjc said:

Canada's team is no larger than New Zealand's...Would've thought you would have at least 350. But you do notice India finally making the effort to be taken seriously. 

I suppose having a successful Winter sports team could be a factor.

I do have to admit Canada has faded from the Commonwealth Games since 1994 and the shock for Australia swiping 80% of everything, and then constant aborted attempts at finding a host city all the while taking on political pushers who gun for Olympic hosting glory - and end up swiping funding when successful. 

Don't be too hard on yourselves. 

This team entered with the chance of winning a lot of gold medals. TO add there was 35+ fourth place finishes! Unbelievable.

Potential gold medal loses/bad luck here:

1) Damian Warner in the decathlon was leading up until the pole vault (and was expected to win) but he NM the pole vault and thus did not medal

2) Emily Batty had bike problems in the mountain biking event, she was considered the gold medal favourite (fourth in Rio)

3 Benefito was leading in the women's 10m platform and overtaken by an Australian on the last dive (who imo was overscored).

4) Women's 3m springboard synchronized had problems with the weather (causing them to miss 2 dives), they were gold medal faves.

5) The Rhythmic gymnastics team should have won gold. Two gymnasts competed in the all around and had they scored that the day before, Canada would have won gold.

6) 3 Canadian weightlifters came in with the best season performance (Santavy, Beauchmin-Nadeau and Darsigny) and they all won silver. 

7) Canada "lost" two gold in artistic gymnastics, as the qualification scores did not match the individual finals scores. 

8) Two Canadian female wrestlers fought injured and won silver, had they not been injured its likely they would have won gold.

Bad luck/injuries etc.

I also do not think being excellent at winter sports has anything to do with this. Own the Podium has two separate systems for the seasons (in terms of funding).

I fully expect Canada to return to 3rd overall in Birmingham 2022, because there can't be this amount of bad luck there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, intoronto said:

This team entered with the chance of winning a lot of gold medals. TO add there was 35+ fourth place finishes! Unbelievable.

 

...I fully expect Canada to return to 3rd overall in Birmingham 2022, because there can't be this amount of bad luck there!

Or Canada could host the next games after in 2026?...This idea of 2030 being a compulsory hosting, don't be surprised if those games are swamped with bids...Especially from Australia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...