Which Olympics stick in your mind?

Excuse me just pasting what I've written in another thread but I was taking it slightly off topic anyway and thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

I know there have been previous "favourite Olympics" threads but it might be interesting to know why you liked it (or didn't) and which specific parts you think you'll never forget.

This is the first Winter Games that I've really paid that much attention to.  Of course I watched Sarajevo '84 and the 6.0 6.0 6.0 etc.. of Torvill and Dean and again watched them 10 years later win bronze in Lillehammer and last years Curling final, but I've never watched more than a couple of events before as I had assumed that winter sports didn't interest me much.  I was wrong.  I've really enjoyed many sports this time and enjoyed learning more about them - the BBC have been quite good at providing short visual courses on each sport explaining the rules.  I don't as a rule watch too much television but I am watching between an hour and three hours of Olympics everyday and using my computer to update me if I'm working.

I find it a shame that not so many people are watching in America because I'm finding it brilliant discovering new sports that I knew very little about.  I know I will always remember Torino 2006 in the same way I always remember Barcelona 1992 for introducing me to the events in the Summer Games or Italia 1990 for introducing me to the excitement of international football - of course I watched bits of Mexico '86 and Seoul '88 but it's the ones that captured my imagination that I tend to remember with the most affection.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favourite sporting events of all time, Italia '90, Barcelona '92 and now Torino 2006, are in very cultural settings.  I think that's why I want future Olympics in cities like Tokyo, New York, Paris or Salzburg where the cultural experience is almost as rewarding as the sporting one itself.  There tends to be many more programmes on television or articles in the press in the UK about the city or country hosting these events which are unrelated to sport but accompany it.  Obviously a city like New York or Tokyo will have more to offer than a city like Philadelphia or Fukuoka in this respect.

Yeah, this one has been done many times before Stu.

However, my earliest Olympic memory was 1984 in L.A - it was really the one that made me a fan of the Olympics for life.

My favourite memories from an Olympics would probably be the same year, although my most watched Olympics was probablt Athens. I also have great memories of Torvil and Deans win in Sarajevo.

Just like predicting the next series of olympic hosts and favourite logo polls, yes, this topic is an evergreen.

Still, you did say "stick in mind" rather than "favourite", Stu, so it is a slight change of emphasis.

On that basis, well, yes, Munich does stick in mind _ I do remember all the headlines at the time about the terrorist attack, the photos of the masked guy etc, and on a happier note, all the hullabaloo about Shane Gould's medal haul and Mark Spitz's triumphs.

Barcelona's one that made a huge impression on me _ simply stunning from the OC to the closing. Just to hear the tune "Amigos Para Siempre" always takes me back.

Atlanta sticks in mind because it was the first Olympics I attended in person _ and had a great time. Don't believe anyone who tells you Atlanta sucked.

Sydney _ well, of course my hometown games. What more can I say? I could blog on for ever about them.

As to winters _ Lillehammer was probably the first I watched avidly, and to this day are still my favourite of their ilk.

OK, I'll bite.  

I guess Munich and Atlanta.  I mean I was in the center of the action in Munich.  I dodged the bullets in the botched 'rescue' but I missed the piffle of an explosion in Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta.  I mean I was there when blood was shed for the Olympic Games!!

Also, because I was so much more involved with Atlanta -- including a test event or 2.

But I also love Salt Lake's Ceremonies.  The Best (OK, my 'favorite') Winter Ceremonies so far.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favourite sporting events of all time, Italia '90, Barcelona '92 and now Torino 2006, are in very cultural settings.  I think that's why I want future Olympics in cities like Tokyo, New York, Paris or Salzburg where the cultural experience is almost as rewarding as the sporting one itself.  There tends to be many more programmes on television or articles in the press in the UK about the city or country hosting these events which are unrelated to sport but accompany it.  Obviously a city like New York or Tokyo will have more to offer than a city like Philadelphia or Fukuoka in this respect.

When the cultural and historical fiber of a city is based on:

This:

declaration_us.gif

This:

constitution.jpeg

This:

libertybell.jpg

and is home to some of the largest collections of Cezannes, Renoirs, and Matisses outside of Europe; then I really can't see the lack of culture this city would have compared to the one's you've listed previously.

When the cultural and historical fiber of a city is based on:

This:

declaration_us.gif

This:

constitution.jpeg

This:

libertybell.jpg

and is home to some of the largest collections of Cezannes, Renoirs, and Matisses outside of Europe; then I really can't see the lack of culture this city would have compared to the one's you've listed previously.

But didn't Nicolas Cage steal that document and mess it up in NATIONAL TREASURE?   :shocked:

Yes that's all good, Philadelphia is a city of great historical importance to the United States (and beyond).  However, globally New York is of far greater cultural/historical importance.  I'm not criticising Philadelphia, it's a place that I'd love to visit one day, if a list of the most influential cities of the US was made I'm sure Philadelphia would be very near the top and it's a city everyones heard of - it's just that New York would undoubtedly be at the very top of the list (despite fewer French impressionists and expressionists).

Anyway isn't it about time you fixed that bell? :P

Like roltel has already said, this thread is an evergreen - and people, who are dedicated to the Olympic Games, don't become tired to speak about this issue...

Here are my "memories", which stick in my mind about the Olympic Games, which I followed on TV:

SARAJEVO

In Germany every TV-coverage of these Winter Olympics started with Vucko, the mascot of the Games. The little wolf appeared on the TV-screen and howled: SARAJEVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

sport moments:

- of course the Bolero of Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean

- Peter Angerer wins a GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE MEDAL in Biathlon and sparks my interests in this sport

20050523020418vucko_sarajevo_1984_olimpijada.jpg

LOS ANGELES

Well the Opening Ceremony was very professional - sometimes over the top - very exciting - sometimes funny (the "west was won" (Pioneer spirit) from West-coast to the East-coast, due the camera-position and the structural condition of the stadium) - my favourite moment, when the audience formed the flags of the participating nations.

some sport-moments:

- Ulrike Meyfarth wins after 12 years her second GOLD MEDAL in high-jump

- Michael Gross wins 2 GOLD MEDALS

- Thomas Fahrner misses out the A-final by 19/100 s and swims in the B-final 32/100 faster than the Olympic Champion in the A-final

- Carl Lewis is the king of the athletic events

- boycott of the East-bloc

- the terrible scene with Gabrielle Andersen-Scheiss in the final lap in marathon

- "Elsa Stratmann" is star of the German Olympic TV-coverage, explains with her sharp tongue, the incidents of Los Angeles.

gal1984s_l_08.jpg

CALGARY

The Opening Ceremony marks the first "huge" ceremony at Winter Olympics...

sport moments:

- the "battle of the two Carmens": Katerina Witt and Debra Thomas - the bell tools and Katerina Witt "dies" on the ice - just breathtaking

- the "battle of the two Brians": Brian Boitano and Brian Orser

Pic_Katarina_Witt_Calgary_1988_credit_allsport.jpg

SEOUL

Wonderful colourful ceremonies - the first and only Asian Summer Games, which I have witnesses so far. Of course the dove-barbeque... :devil:

sport moments:

- Greg Louganis just an applaudable man

- the "golden" Grans Slam by Steffi Graf

- Kristin Otto and Florence Griffith-Joyner rule "their" sports.

- Matt Biondi

- doping is common (and it is still common) - Ben Johnson is the first, who get catched

t1_louganis_all_01.jpg

ALBERTVILLE

I just loved the Opening Ceremony - the demonstration of the different sports is just wonderful - the lightning of the flame with Platini and this boy was just awkward...

sport moments:

- Georg Hackl wins his first GOLD in luge

- Vegard Ulvang and Björn Dählie rules their sport

1992W_ceremony.jpg

... will be continued

BARCELONA

The Opening Ceremony was just great - wonderful - terrific - breathtaking - just perfect... - it is a pitty that Freddie Mercury wasn't able to perform his song "Barcelona" with Montserrat Caballe.

The first Olympic Games of the new era!!!

gal1992s_l_01.jpg

LILLEHAMMER

The blueprint for Winter Olympics - decent, colourful, splendid and the sport is in the center of the interest - fair audience - just wonderful

gal1994w_l_13.jpg

ATLANTA

Atlanta tried hard to make wonderful Centennial Games, but in my point of view the city failed to step into Barcelonas shoes...

Too much Commercial Games than Centennial Games...

atlanta1996_open.jpg

NAGANO

Well, it says everything that I don't really remember these Winter Games...

gal1998w_l_10.jpg

SYDNEY

The Australian metropolis was able to "top" the wonderful Games of Barcelona - the ceremonies were just great - and what I liked especially were the details in the opening ceremony (e.g. the worm on the hook and the snorklers in the great barrier reef segment / the olympic rings made out of the lawn mowers) - the best Summer Games so far...

The lightning of the flame is unforgetable...

OQ7freemantorch.jpg

SALT LAKE CITY

The city was able to make it to forget the faults of Atlanta - these Winter Games were unobstructive and therewith the Games were beautiful (esp. the scene about the wilderness of the salt lake) - the right mixture - very very good Winter Games...

The entrance of the "Stars And Stripes" with the NY fire fighters will be remembered by me...

gal2002w_l_04.jpg

ATHINA

Well - the Olympic Games came home, but that is not enough to host the best Olympic Games - they just didn't fulfill my expectations - the scandals in the sport events overshadowed the Games...

gal2004s_l_02.jpg

TORINO

well done

Archived