Olympian2004

Pyeongchang 2018: Your verdict

I am at the World Figure Skating Championships in Milano this week, and one month after PyeongChang the stark contrast confirms to me how well the 2018 Games were organised 

Well going often to the Olympics and seldom to other events I tend to take good organisation for granted.

The first day was messy and somewhat frustrating . Already some improvements today. That  being said Italy can stage well organized events. See  Torino 2006...

Edited by hektor

And Christophe Dubi claims Pyeongchang turned a surplus? If those numbers are released then I'd say the books have been cooked.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1069420/gangwon-province-left-with-massive-debts-after-pyeongchang-2018-report-claims

I wouldn't call it a Sochi type disaster but the legacy at least venue wise is not going to help the 2026 race. And it's not just the Alpine venue (which was in financial trouble before the race) that's facing demolition. Apparently the sliding track, speed skating oval, and one of the hockey arenas are all facing demolition.  A while back there was actually a ridiculous proposal to turn the speed skating oval into an industrial size refrigerator for local fishermen. 

So basically, our fears PC never had real plans at all for the venues legacy have been materialized. And yet another olympic games which just bring lots of debt (and we're not sure yet if the surplus story is true, and tbh it is starting to sound now like massive damage control from the IOC).

Sadly, the only way the IOC is going to learn that they URGENTLY need to tone down both the winter and summer games will be the hard way. A sadistic part of me kind of wishes every single city drops from the 2026 race. This is the only way they will understand.

Well it didn't take long for the IOC and the POCOG to go into full damage control mode. First the IOC claims that there will still be a surplus despite the news of mounting debts in Gangwon province. That's still a head scratcher to me unless the IOC is working with Pyeongchang to cook the books. And there's no firm plans as far as legacy for the troubled venues. I predict the main ice hockey arena, speed skating oval, and the sliding track will eventually be demolished while trees are replanted at the alpine venue. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1069533/ioc-confirm-pyeongchang-2018-surplus-still-predicted-despite-reports-gangwon-province-left-with-debts

On 9/2/2018 at 11:00 PM, Ikarus360 said:

So basically, our fears PC never had real plans at all for the venues legacy have been materialized. And yet another olympic games which just bring lots of debt (and we're not sure yet if the surplus story is true, and tbh it is starting to sound now like massive damage control from the IOC).

Sadly, the only way the IOC is going to learn that they URGENTLY need to tone down both the winter and summer games will be the hard way. A sadistic part of me kind of wishes every single city drops from the 2026 race. This is the only way they will understand.

So they could have Salt Lake City USA 2026 I'm sure Utah officials would love that if it goes down to that case it would be funny if we end up with Beijing handing the flag over to Salt Lake City in 2022 and Los Angeles handing over the flag to Shanghai in 2028.

Salt Lake City USA 2026 - Sapporo Japan 2030 double award could be in the cards next year. 

My verdict: Awesome! Just Awesome!