YOG 2022 Africa conflict?!

Just now, intoronto said:

Its not a definite choice, but if a viable bid arises they will be preferred over any from other continents. 

Some articles as in usatoday,the link provided, use a definite statements that Africa will host the YOG 2022

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2018/02/08/olympic-games-in-africa-a-door-long-shut-could-be-opening/110241096/

Its not a definite choice, but if a viable bid arises they will be preferred over any from other continents. 

Some articles as in usatoday,the link provided, use a definite statements that Africa will host the YOG 2022

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2018/02/08/olympic-games-in-africa-a-door-long-shut-could-be-opening/110241096/

Are we not on the brink of Olympic conflict?

1. A mere eight months before host selection in Oct the IOC announces a targeted approach (and apparently a definite selection of Africa). This is a full disregard for all the efforts and investments into potential YOG bids by other NOC' and interested parties.

2. IOC's reason for this targeted approach for Africa is to have Africa earn its right for going next level the bigger Olympics. This is appalling as no other country has ever been expected nor required to follow this route.

3. IOC's targeted approach is not only an unnecessary modification but also a very serious blunder as it makes Africa look like it is receiving a handout. There are African countries which are fully capable to  raise an YOG bid on their own initiative if they choose to. 

I think its the other away around. There isn't any bid that has arisen, so the IOC has decided to go to a targeted approach. I think this will cause bids to arise now from Africa. 

"There isn't any bid that has arisen..." meaning from Africa or any other continent?

22 hours ago, cube said:

i guess the IOC realise that YOG is something not many countries/cities are willing to bid for

and so they try to sell this "bad product" to Africa and label it as a chance for future big olympics

Striking statement with large coverage. Could the subject matter here be seen as sensitive for political correctness which might be the reason members in here have thus far avoided to offer their rendition of the case?!

• 1 year later...

A year and a half later Dakar has still not set up an organizing committee or released any type of budget. Kristy Coventry has made her concerns known. Wonder if this forced venture into Africa is going to turn out for the IOC the same way Durban turned out for the CGF? I think the IOC will wait as long as they can but I would not be surprised to see Dakar stripped of the YOGs in the not too distant future.

They could stay in Beijing China for the year and get them to be the back up host for the 2022 Summer Youth Olympic Games first city in the world to host both the Summer and Winter Games host the Summer Youth Games in the same year as the winter games be the ultimate year for China or have Tokyo Japan host the games in 2022. 

I thought Senegal seemed an odd choice, all for the YOG going to Africa but isn’t it generally fair to say that SA, Morocco, Egypt or possibly Nigeria are the most developed countries on the continent & would therefore have the best chance of pulling it off? That or just hold it anywhere that’s had the Africa Games lately - it’s surely more important that these Games go to somewhere that knows how to stage events well & show Africa at its best than to just go somewhere with no experience at all. 

Morocco seems to be a safe choice in case Dakar can't get the job done but still want to do the YOG in Africa. They replaced Malabo and Lusaka as the host of the 2019 All Africa Games and both Casablanca and Rabat already have enough number of sport venues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_African_Games

6 hours ago, Roger87 said:

If Morocco doesn't came to save the face, Africa will be forbidden to host Olympics in generations ahead. 

Agreed and I think it could backfire on Thomas Bach as he wanted theses games in Africa it would be nice to have the games in Africa but they can't go too it for going to Africa sake, Brazil just manage to host the games. 

The Option that the IOC could do is to get Tokyo Japan as the backup host for the 2022 Summer Games and have a back to back games in Asia again with Tokyo Japan hosting the 2022 games and Bangkok Thailand for the 2026 games. 

I still think one of, if not the main reason for the creation of YOGs was to use them as a consolation prize for countries that do not stand a remote chance of hosting the real thing. Sure the IOC started out with the likes of Singapore and Nanjing but this was more to give the YOGs a solid footing. Since then they've branched out to the likes of Buenos Aires and now Dakar. Going to Dakar means the IOC can finally say they brought the games to Africa, but it does not look as though Dakar is up to the challenge. I could definitely see the IOC calling on Morocco or perhaps Brazzaville which hosted the 2015 African Games and has the venues needed.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 3:42 AM, stryker said:

I still think one of, if not the main reason for the creation of YOGs was to use them as a consolation prize for countries that do not stand a remote chance of hosting the real thing. Sure the IOC started out with the likes of Singapore and Nanjing but this was more to give the YOGs a solid footing. Since then they've branched out to the likes of Buenos Aires and now Dakar. Going to Dakar means the IOC can finally say they brought the games to Africa, but it does not look as though Dakar is up to the challenge. I could definitely see the IOC calling on Morocco or perhaps Brazzaville which hosted the 2015 African Games and has the venues needed.

Brazzaville is even less develop then Dakar and is in a worse area for safety and health wise I don't think Africa is ready for 2022 maybe in 2030 with Nairobi Kenya or Cape Town South Africa hosting those games, Thailand bid for the 2026 Summer Games is looking brilliant plan. 

A double back to back Asian 2022 and 2026 Summer Games would be good for the Youth Olympic movement maybe go back to Singapore with the new Stadium being opened since the 2010 games or get Tokyo Japan to host the games as a backup, Tokyo, Beijing or Singapore 2022 - Pattaya Thailand 2026 a Caribbean city for 2030.

1 hour ago, Olympianfan said:

Brazzaville is even less develop then Dakar and is in a worse area for safety and health wise I don't think Africa is ready for 2022 maybe in 2030 with Nairobi Kenya or Cape Town South Africa hosting those games, Thailand bid for the 2026 Summer Games is looking brilliant plan. 

A double back to back Asian 2022 and 2026 Summer Games would be good for the Youth Olympic movement maybe go back to Singapore with the new Stadium being opened since the 2010 games or get Tokyo Japan to host the games as a backup, Tokyo, Beijing or Singapore 2022 - Pattaya Thailand 2026 a Caribbean city for 2030.

Brazzaville hosted a successful 2015 African Games with new facilities that easily could host a YOGs. That's more than Dakar has. They didn't have any health and safety problems then either. South Africa bailed on the CWGs. The IOC isn't going there anytime soon with any games. Nairobi has no plans for a YOG bid. Their focus is on the IAAF World Championships.

The YOGs don't need a back-to-back in Asia. They already are a consolation prize anyway. They aren't going to Tokyo as Japan is going to focus on a Sapporo WOGs bid and Nagoya's Asian Games bid.

I thought the idea of the YOG was that they were smaller, much cheaper than the Olympics..so they could have different host cities/ countries...and spread the love....Of course at tthe first chance they went to China (who can host the real thing and they spent a fortune) and started with 2 Asian Games in a row.

Should be going to places like Hungary, Poland, New Zealand, Thailand, India, Turkey etc...

Gaborone, Abuja and Tunis were the other participating cities wanting to host the 2022 Summer Youth Olympics. I probably would've liked to seen Botswana host it since it hosted the 2014 African Youth Games. 

As to why Morocco never put a hat in the ring, Morocco may have burned a bridge or two with the 2015 African Cup of Nations. Morocco was set to host then wanted the tournament postponed due to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Morocco compounded the situation by saying they would deny entry to teams from those affected countries. The tournament was then given to Equatorial Guinea.

I can't say much for Gaborone other than their sports infrastructure would require some massive upgrades even for  a YOGs

Perhaps an idea to give Morocco or Gaborone (or somewhere else in Africa that could do it) 2026 now & find a quick fix for 2022. There must be several places out there that could host a YOG at short notice, even if you only want countries that haven’t hosted an Olympics before.