• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hodori, the mascot of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

Lady Gaga's evil twin.

First winter closing ceremony to not have an opening balls-up to laugh at since 2006. 

For a segment choreographed by Zhang Yimou, this was surprisingly tacky and copied. Too many references to the Tokyo handover, including the use of the head of government. Tokyo did it in a much cooler and more stylish way, though. And they had the original.

Well, I have second thoughts. You can tell they were kind of trying to surpass Tokyo's handover two years ago. The usage of Ode to Motherland was nice though a bit repetitive. Funny because I remember some chinese users here 4 years ago complained about the overuse of Arirang in the PC handover. :lol: 

Also those pandas were as ridiculously stereotypical as the infamous kangaroos from Sydney's handover, pfff. The screens used on the handover were kinda cool though. 

Just now, SkiFreak said:

The handover was alright. Very colorful!

And here comes the fencing champion! Did you all know he's a fencing champion? 1976 in Montreal! Won Gold! In Fencing!

And the worst of all his gold is in the team event.. 

This time around, the German broadcaster ZDF thought about hiring a Korean translator for the OCOG president's speech. In the opening ceremony, their partner broadcaster ARD's translator was surprised about the Korean speech and had to leave the speech untranslated...

Just now, zigzag said:

And the worst of all his gold is in the team event.. 

Which makes Bach look even more pretentious, to be honest. No one is going to remember his poor teammates. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

For a segment choreographed by Zhang Yimou, this was surprisingly tacky and copied. Too many references to the Tokyo handover, including the use of the head of government. Tokyo did it in a much cooler and more stylish way, though. And they had the original.

Tokyo is certainly reaching a new level of handover.. It is proven that it is so hard to beat.. 

That's a nice gesture - the OCOG president expressing his regret and sympathy for all athletes who injured themselves during competition. Although the Pyeongchang OCOG could have done its part against that. The freestyle and snowboard courses were criticised for being too dangerous.

1 minute ago, Tatsh said:

The handover has tried to surpass Tokyo, but they did'nt, specially for the poker face of Xi.

Considering that China isn't able to replicate the weirdness of Japan with their stiff performance I'll say that it was an appreciated attempt.. 

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

After this Asian run, projections are gonna be quite hard to do for Paris & everyone after to follow - they sure know how to do hi-tech. 

I hope Paris uses more physical props like London 2012 did in the opening. In my opinion those were the coolest opening ceremonies in the last couple decades.

And I hope LA brings back Rocket Man!

For those who didn't noticed, there were some reference to Lunar New Year celebrations in the video part of the handover. I wonder if they will use LNY themes for the 2022 opening considering the games begin during the celebrations.