Just now, Ikarus360 said:

While I have nothing against the London 2012 anthem arrangements, I hope they give us fresh air in Tokyo and make new arrangements. It's getting a bit boring hearing them in 2-3 Olympics already.

And funnily enough, the re-use of the London 2012 recordings is the only thing that I know of where the IOC practises sustainability these days.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hodori, the mascot of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

Lady Gaga's evil twin.

First winter closing ceremony to not have an opening balls-up to laugh at since 2006. 

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

While I have nothing against the London 2012 anthem arrangements, I hope they give us fresh air in Tokyo and make new arrangements. It's getting a bit boring hearing them in 2-3 Olympics already.

Anyone have the London 2012 anthem album? Been trying to find it online, but no luck. Not on iTunes anymore.

3 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Why are they still coming out by country? That's the opposite of the point :/

Well, I think it's only natural that you march together with your team mates, those are the persons you know best. And probably you already arrived at the stadium with your team, so you stay together. At least the countries don't get announced and they follow no particular order to enter the stadium.

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

To be fair to Bach, I think it's protocol for all IOC members who have a gold to be introduced as champions. I don't think it's Bach 'insisting'. 

I didn't know that either. I heard in a report by German television recently that he insists on that. But that probably shows how critically the German journalists now view the IOC president from their own country.

Here's an area where I hope Canada improves in, in the future; nordic. Any x-country event and ski jumping. We now have two Olympic sites in Canada as well as other locations that have hosted world cup events like Sovereign Lake near Vernon, BC. Time to put them to full use and training.

Just now, yoshi said:

Why is that? It seems the antipathy to the games in Germany has come about since he became President - has he always been something of a hate figure in Germany?

No, but the critical reports started when he became IOC president, also due to his tight connections to Sheikh Ahmed Al-Sabah who helped him getting elected. The critical reports became much more numerous in the lead-up to Rio 2016 when the IOC decided against a ban for Russia.

The critical attitude towards the Olympic Games in Germany has started before Bach became president. Already the bid for 2018 seven years ago was quite a controversial one. I think that is the same development like in Norway, Sweden, Switzerland etc., regardless of where the IOC president comes from.

And just an addition: Thomas Bach is also criticised here because he forgot the agenda on which he won his election - namely the Agenda 2020 for more sustainable, cheaper and downsized Olympics. You can't find a lot of that concept anymore, as could be seen in the construction of the luge track in Pyeongchang instead of awarding the sledding events to Nagano.

Also that fanfare/interlude music, I just noticed is the one used on the welcoming segment of the Opening. 

I hope we get an official album. The music of both ceremonies was really great if you ask me. 

Just now, Olympian2004 said:

And just an addition: Thomas Bach is also criticised here because he forgot the agenda on which he won his election - namely the Agenda 2020 for more sustainable, cheaper and downsized Olympics. You can't find a lot of that concept anymore, as could be seen in the construction of the luge track in Pyeongchang instead of awarding the sledding events to Nagano.

With the huge rivalry between Korea/Japan which still exists today? I doubt they would had taken the decision very well if you ask me. I don't think Bach could do much about this. Maybe if the hosts weren't countries which hate each other for centuries, things would had been different.

And now, it IS K-Pop time. :P