• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hodori, the mascot of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

Lady Gaga's evil twin.

First winter closing ceremony to not have an opening balls-up to laugh at since 2006. 

I'm sad now, well, just a little. Looking ahead will be interesting in the next few months. Especially with what City Hall decides to do. These are positives for hosting here in Calgary again:

• No white elephants - if anything new needs to be built, it would be heavily used after the games and continue the 88 legacy. Also a great catalyst to build the second hockey arena. I'd also like to see the 90 meter ski jump refurbished and used for what it was built for. Would love to see Nakiska reused again instead of Lake Louise. I hope Canmore joins in again. Maybe build new jumps there at the nordic site so nordic is all together? Forget Edmonton. We could do it all here.
  • Full stands, full seats, a great party and cultural Olympiad. What the IOC needs right now. (Party again at Ranchman's!!).
  • Some much needed infrastructure - C-Train line extension out to the airport. The airport is good right now. Just opened a new international terminal and a new runway two years ago.
  • Favorable time zone for... NBC!

Let's do it again in Calgary in 2026. I'm in 100%. Hidy and Howdy are asking, Can't you feel itB)

After three Asian olympics in a row and the general uninterested feel of Europe to host (thanks, Sochi), I really am rooting for Calgary to win, now that the USOC decided to focus solely on L.A.

For those who want to rewatch the handover, CCTV posted a video in HD of it, which you can also download. I also posted some pics on the Beijing 2022 handover thread at the subforum.

http://api.5club.cctv.cn/cctvsports/cctv5/cctvsportsshare/video/video.html?id=VIDE1519562052988791

6 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

After three Asian olympics in a row and the general uninterested feel of Europe to host (thanks, Sochi), I really am rooting for Calgary to win, now that the USOC decided to focus solely on L.A.

I'll continue to post in the Calgary 2026 thread. I have to go back and find the news articles that were posted on both CBC and CTV, from a couple weeks before PyeongChang started when the IOC was here touring around and checking out the legacy sites. Some interesting stuff in there.

Pickup trucks...ya watching Baron? Slick. And too many for Eurovision :P

They sure love Soohorang. And the number 5. And test cards. 

Bye Olympic flame - see you on the other side of the sea in 2020. 

PARTY TIME! 

Martin Garrix where Psy should've been. Is the pagoda prop coming back or has it always been up there? Freaky birdman thing - is he basically the star of the games? 

And that's that. Thanks PC (until the Paras of course) - hopefully Beijing mean it when they talk of responsible spending & then hopefully bring on Calgary/Sion/Stockholm 26! (I hope only one of those bid, picking a favourite from them will be hard)

PS: bloody hell, 2018 is a busy year. Can't they spread these things out a bit. 

25 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Pickup trucks...ya watching Baron? Slick. And too many for Eurovision :P

They sure love Soohorang. And the number 5. And test cards. 

Bye Olympic flame - see you on the other side of the sea in 2020. 

PARTY TIME! 

Martin Garrix where Psy should've been. Is the pagoda prop coming back or has it always been up there? Freaky birdman thing - is he basically the star of the games? 

And that's that. Thanks PC (until the Paras of course) - hopefully Beijing mean it when they talk of responsible spending & then hopefully bring on Calgary/Sion/Stockholm 26! (I hope only one of those bid, picking a favourite from them will be hard)

PS: bloody hell, 2018 is a busy year. Can't they spread these things out a bit. 

Pagoda prop was meant for the closing ceremony. We saw it on spoiler pics being prepared on the underground pit but we initially believed it was meant for the opening.

To be fair, they already used Gangnam Style in Incheon 2014 as PSY closed that (forgettable) opening ceremony back then. 

As for Beijing, i'm more scared about the spending in Zhangjiaoku (the snow cluster) than Beijing itself since many of the 2008 venues will be reused. Zhangjiaoku is still very underdeveloped so they better get working over there right now. 

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

Pnd that's that. Thanks PC (until the Paras of course) - hopefully Beijing mean it when they talk of responsible spending & then hopefully bring on Calgary/Sion/Stockholm 26! (I hope only one of those bid, picking a favourite from them will be hard)

Well, if things go wrong again (and that is quite likely), Sion and Stockholm will have to withdraw from the race anyway because of a lack of public and/or political support. And then Calgary might be the only viable candidate. Because Sapporo won't get the Games, so soon after Tokyo and the three Asian Olympics in a row.

6 hours ago, SkiFreak said:

I hope Paris uses more physical props like London 2012 did in the opening. In my opinion those were the coolest opening ceremonies in the last couple decades.

And I hope LA brings back Rocket Man!

I hope Paris would talk about it's medieval past with elements of fantasy (to pay homage to French fairy tales). 

For those asking about detailed programmes of past ceremonies, I recommend plugging yourself into this goldmine & filling your boots (apologies for the clunky link):

http://library.olympic.org/Default/search.aspx?SC=CATALOGUE&QUERY=ceremony+media+guide+&QUERY_LABEL=#/Search/(query:(Page:0,PageRange:3,QueryString:'ceremony media guide',ResultSize:-1,ScenarioCode:CATALOGUE,SearchContext:0,SearchLabel:''))

• Thanks 1

Extravagant Closing Ceremony. The Koreans know how to party. I hope another Olympics come to Korea in the near future.:lol: As much as I love Korean Culture, I say Gamsahabnida Daehanminguk!!!

6 hours ago, yoshi said:

For those asking about detailed programmes of past ceremonies, I recommend plugging yourself into this goldmine & filling your boots (apologies for the clunky link):

http://library.olympic.org/Default/search.aspx?SC=CATALOGUE&QUERY=ceremony+media+guide+&QUERY_LABEL=#/Search/(query:(Page:0,PageRange:3,QueryString:'ceremony media guide',ResultSize:-1,ScenarioCode:CATALOGUE,SearchContext:0,SearchLabel:''))

Goldmine! Thanks for that link! B)