how bad does this time zone suck  

11 members have voted

1. 1. ^

• like, really bad... we have 2 more of these in a row?
    • like, not too bad because i'm australian or something but it's summer so i'm out all day at barbies

basically anything worth watching happens at 3 in the morning, which is ridiculous. I'm exhausted from waking up to watch ski jumping at 5, not sure it's very sustainable over 16 days.

i actually had to watch the ceremonies on NBC last night if you can freaking believe it. 

now i have tape-delay luge on but it's not live obviously so I'm starting to question whether the athletes can actually hear me shouting at the screen and react in real time to my coaching advice. 

i am however enjoying as the commentators dance around the OAR question while avoiding mentioning doping or the IRL country of russia.

watching canada miss a couple bronze medals already has also been entertaining but at this point i'm feeling bad and want them to start winning.

honestly i'm on team anyone who can beat OAR.

at first I thought it was only going to be a couple of athletes in exceptional circumstances but those numbers seemed to have crept up. sus.

i forget the point of this thread. oh right, the time zone. well, there are a few things on before i go to bed.

The great thing about NBC setting the schedule for the blue riband events so they take place in US prime time, is that no matter where in the world the games are, we Aussies can wake up to a morning full of live broadcasts of the marquee events taking us right through to lunchtime. Perfect for those of us who take games time off and consider this morning session to be real prime time for watching.

What sucks about Aussie coverage is that no matter where in the world the games are and what it’s actually happening live at the time, our formal evening prime time coverage consists of pre-recorded packages of the athlete’s “journeys” and those same athletes being asked into the studio to comment on their personal best in ranking 46th in that day’s ladies combined cross country round robin biathlon heats while playing the tape of that event at least five times.

* Oh, and i apologise for in the past berating American TV viewers as pussies for not being able to countenance the idea of watching a winter games in their summer months and thus allowing the Kiwis to host one south of the equator. It really does kinda suck and seem strange to be watching moguls and hearing the commentators talk about minus temperatures and chill factors while you’re sitting in front of the fan trying not to sweat too heavily on a stinking hot and humid Sydney summer day.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Texas said:

So in 2028 in Los Angeles, will NBC use all of that Olympics coverage to randomly drop in a mention of Sunday Night Football?  Or will the save that for the last few days like they did in Rio?

I don't think NBC even knows that yet.

we might all be dead from nuclear war by then anyway if this olympic detente doesn't work so who can think so far ahead? 

i mean i'm like stressing out about this olympics right here.

10 minutes ago, BigVic said:

Aussies had to watch the swimming plus track and field at the last Summer Games in Rio during the lunch hour but with the next three Games in Asia, most events take place 1 or 2 hours behind local time in Australia. 

I expect NBC will insist on morning finals for those in Tokyo as well, so prepare for much of the same for us as with Rio.

It’s those Euro games that are a killer for us, with most big finals in the Oz midnight to dawn slot. 

5 hours ago, Sir Rols said:
6 hours ago, BigVic said:

I expect NBC will insist on morning finals for those in Tokyo as well, so prepare for much of the same for us as with Rio.

It’s those Euro games that are a killer for us, with most big finals in the Oz midnight to dawn slot. 

This would annoy lots of Aussies. Will we see Andre De Grasse going for gold in primetime or lunchtime in Australia. 

NBC had morning finals for swimming in Beijing but track and field were in the evening Beijing time so they were taped 

Well, swimming they’re already expecting morning finals: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/morning-olympic-swimming-finals-possible-for-tokyo-2020/

Athletics - we’ll see. It may well survive a trade off with swimming. Yeah, it is annoying (well, personally, I like the morning/lunchtime highlights - I tend to take the time off for the games), but it is what it is till the likes of NHK or China pay as much as NBC does for rights. I can se they’ve gotta keep the US broadcaster sweet. Just thank God the European Broadcasting Union doesn’t dictate the timing schedules.

Edited by Sir Rols

7 hours ago, 4seasonscentre said:

I work for a sponsor of the Canadian Olympic team. For 2014 they setup TVs on every floor. For this Olympics and the next two they will not be used because events completely avoid our business hours :-(

The mood has been lack lustre. 

HBC?

5 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I can se they’ve gotta keep the US broadcaster sweet. 

NBC seems to have used all its leverage to get figure skating (and some skiing) in primetime. not what i would have picked, but i get it and it's better than nothing. canada seems to have fielded something of a team this year so it's keeping things interesting. 

10 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Well, swimming they’re already expecting morning finals: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/morning-olympic-swimming-finals-possible-for-tokyo-2020/

Athletics - we’ll see. It may well survive a trade off with swimming. Yeah, it is annoying (well, personally, I like the morning/lunchtime highlights - I tend to take the time off for the games), but it is what it is till the likes of NHK or China pay as much as NBC does for rights. I can se they’ve gotta keep the US broadcaster sweet. Just thank God the European Broadcasting Union doesn’t dictate the timing schedules.

I'd guess that NBC will request a first-week schedule similar to 2008, with swimming and gymnastics finals between 10am-2pm in Tokyo so they can be shown live in primetime.  I could see them maybe allowing the men's gymnastics finals to be held in the evening since those events will have major interest in Japan.  NBC didn't care about having gymnastics live in primetime in 2016, but I think they'll want at least women's gymnastics live in 2020.

I'm sure NBC will push to have at least some track finals during the morning sessions, and I'd imagine the organizers and IAAF would be open to this since they did it in Rio.  Another option would be a schedule like the World Championships in London with only one session on most days of the competition that would take place between 10am-2pm.

I can’t quite remember, and my memory may be well off, but I seem to recall in London that while the bulk of the athletics finals were at the night sessions, there were a couple they did do also in the morning sessions. But I will stand corrected if someone says otherwise.

What I do vividly remember from London (because I was there) was that they delayed Sally Pearson’s medal ceremony there till the very end of the night’s athletics session specifically so it would be timed to be able to be shown on breakfast TV live in Oz (they specifically said that over the stadium announcements. To date, that was the one and only Aussie Gould medal ceremony I’ve been able to attend in person). 

My sleep is all messed up now. Stayed up last night to watch women's hockey, and then some other events. Finally crawled into bed, and woke up close to 3pm. Oh well, at least I'm on seasonal layoff right now. :P 

2 hours ago, BigVic said:

In China, Western Australia and SEA, most events take place 1 hour behind South Korea meaning we've got the best seats in the house. 

We'll have the best seats in the house... in 2026!

Biathlon is great for those of us in Europe. Right before or after Noon. Great for lunch with the kids who have off from school this week. Can watch a little with shopping in the sport section of department stores. I need to find some place who is doing a breakfast buffet with a TV.

I'm actually loving this time zone setup.  Lots of big events in primetime.  Then I wake up the next morning and there's plenty still going on to watch.  There's very little happening in the middle of the day in Korea (middle of the night here).  The majority of the events save for hockey and curling seem to be happening before 4pm local time (2am Eastern) or after 8pm local time (6am Eastern).  Get a little sleep in between, fire up the app on my Roku, and it has been a great experience!

On 2/11/2018 at 10:37 AM, krow said:

NBC seems to have used all its leverage to get figure skating (and some skiing) in primetime. not what i would have picked, but i get it and it's better than nothing. canada seems to have fielded something of a team this year so it's keeping things interesting. 

All of the alpine skiing is in US primetime.  The speed events have to be during the day although they've run the technical events at night before.  The big get for them was all of the snowboarding (which has obviously paid off)

I'm liking the time zone as well, for the same reasons mentioned by Quaker. The only difference is that, with my wife and I both being off work this week, we do whatever we have planned until about 3 or 4 pm when I fire up the Roku and watch the on-demand coverage of what I choose. If I'm lucky I get that done by 8 pm for the start of the primetime show, otherwise I set the DVR to record it and I'll pick up with that once I'm done with the streaming coverage.

Things get more challenging next week when its back to work and I will not be able to stay up late.

I do not like this time zone for WoG.

In Brazil the Winter Olympics are not popular and fearing to lose public all the transmission is at the end of the night and in the beginning of the morning, always between 00.30 a.m. and 05 a.m.

I am glad Tokyo 2020 is in this time zone, I believe there will be a lot of coverage on prime-time TV, which is good for me when I work during the day. It's even better than Rio 2016, I remember coming home at 23.45 p.m after returning from the University and sitting in front of the TV with all the events closed except for the "exciting" beach volleyball.

Oh, I do not like games in Europe, the timezone is so bad in Brazil :(

When the Games are held in Europe and GB, the big events take place in the early hours of the morning in Australia. We are used to waking up in ungodly hours to watch European Football and Champions League matches. 

Lucky for the next two Olympics in Australia, time zone won't have to be a problem as Tokyo is +1 of AEST and -1 of AWST and Beijing +3 of AEDT and at the +0 of AWST in the summer of 2022 

Americans would have to deal with a big time difference for Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2020. Normalcy returns in Paris 2024 when all the swimming/track and field finals are held in the early hours AEST