Munich 2018 Opening Ceremony Live Chat!

I've decided it is time to kick this off as the ceremony is merely hours away.

As we all know the 2018 Games have been plagued with intrigue, controversy and political power plays since Munich bet Annecy and Pyeongchang for the hosting rights - however all this is bound to be forgotten once the lights go down in the newly updated Olympiastadion.

487593567-olympic-stadium-munich-frei-ot

This is what we know - 

Roof reinforcements and the leaked photos of a large "sky grid" indicate much of the artistic segment will be staged above the field.

The Frauenkirche will ring their bells to mark the start of the ceremony - and will be where the torch relay will commence at the start of the show.

Over 15,000 volunteers will be part of the show which is entitled "Dreamers". 

Over €12,000,000 worth of fireworks are rumoured to be used.

Vladimir Putin has been barred from the ceremony after the recent seizure of the Lithuanian parliament by "ethnic Russian armed patriots".

North Korea has been barred from competing after the attack on Incheon.

President Sanders will be in attendance.

What we don't know - 

No cauldron has been sighted.

Will Beyonce perform the official song "Five Rings (Everybody Wants To Rule The World)" - despite the huge backlash due to a non-German being given the job?

Will Katarina Witt light the flame after being spotted at the OC's headquarters in recent days (especially since her sensational firing from the committee)?

We have GamesBidders on the ground - start the updates now!

......its really too bad that the USOC had to be disbanded before these games as a result of the 90% share-the-wealth tax applied to all corp and personal holding by the Sanders administration....it would have been great to see the American team one last time. At lease Nuevo Los Angeles will still get to host in 28 now that the Sanders government returned the stolen territories of Alta California to the Mexican Government.

*sigh* If only... Now that my boyfriend lives in Munich and I therefore visit the city every few weeks, I really regret that it didn't get the 2018 Games and kept itself out of 2022. It would have been a great host, and the Olympic Park still amazes even after 46 years.

On the positive side, I will never have to witness Olympic Games in Germany presided over by Thomas Bach. After all the scumbagging he did so far, this would have been a really undeserved honour.

• Like 2

A few thoughts - 

The Arabs sitting down during the tribute to the Israeli 1972 11 was appalling. I was happy to see Bach briefly stop his 45 minute interpretive dance number to tell them off.

Also you had to feel for Beyonce - getting her to do a triple flip in the middle of the last chorus was insane. Also why the f*ck did Kanye get to carry the flag in for the Federation Of American States?

Also what was with that Fijian skeleton athlete waving his dick as he walked in?  I mean it was fine when he did it at the Tokyo Summer Games a couple of years back as it was really humid - but seriously - that thing could have froze and snapped off!

I did however love the vomiting tourists in the Oktoberfest section - such strong projectiling! 

Having Katarina Witt bow to Bach when passing him the flame was atrocious. It was lucky that they tackled Dmitri Medvedev before he could wrestle the torch off Fanny Chmelar. Russians. Sigh. Nice lighting though - the flaming beer keg catapulted into the aerial cauldron was well done. Bit of a shame it overshot and took out nineteen Uzbekistani athletes - but lets be honest - they wouldn't have medalled.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy
Ho's gunna ho.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I did however love the vomiting tourists in the Oktoberfest section - such strong projectiling! 

Particularly pleasing seeing the Aussie competitor scoring a PB for distance.

7 minutes ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

that thing could have froze and snapped off!

I thought it had! That thing was so shrivelled and shrunk in the cold there wasn’t much to see - i kept rewinding and rewatching and I can assure you, that wasn’t the same schlong as Tokyo!

12 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I thought it had! That thing was so shrivelled and shrunk in the cold there wasn’t much to see - i kept rewinding and rewatching and I can assure you, that wasn’t the same schlong as Tokyo!

Poor bastard - unless you are hung like a Scandinavian or.. let's say a Nigerian (?) you really need to keep it in your pants.

29 minutes ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Also you had to feel for Beyonce - getting her to do a triple flip in the middle of the last chorus was insane. Also why the f*ck did Kanye get to carry the flag in for the Federation Of American States?

...at lease she landed it.

It was a moment for the ages - such an inspiration.

Well it appears she will sing 'Independent Women Part 1' at the Uzbekistani athlete memorial tomorrow night in the Isstadion. Quite a nice gesture considering only in death do Uzbekistani women get out from under the yoke of oppressive men.  I am truly touched. What a star.

Wow! Just read Rob Livingstone’s #GamesBids tweet, and it turned out that was him, CAF, Olympian2004 and StefanMuc in the Oktoberfest spew segment. Good onya guys, you did the board proud and brought a lump to my throat! 

Thought it was a classy touch having the country names in the parade of nations engraved on the bier steins carried by the busty waitresses. Pity the poor lass who had to carry the “Olympic Athletes from Russia” steins, but at least she had big enough bazoongas to support them all.  

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 3