USOC Says They Will Protect Los Angeles’ Financial Interests And Not Bid For 2026 Winter Games

GBModerator

Reporting From PyeongChang, South Korea – United States Olympic Committee (USOC) Chair Larry Probst Friday said that there are no plans to pursue a U.S.-based Olympic Winter Games in 2026. “It would make things extremely complicated from a financial standpoint with Los Angeles in 2028, hosting the Games,” Probst explained at a press conference for […]

The post USOC Says They Will Protect Los Angeles’ Financial Interests And Not Bid For 2026 Winter Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

10 hours ago, Faster said:

Calgary is going to bid. Canada sent a ministerial delegation, the GG, Mayor Nenshi and almost the entire COC executive. Canada is bidding. 

I second this. The trouble Calgary has had to go through would be wasted if it didn't go through with the bid, and as Faster stated, it is looking more and more like they will go through with it. The IOC knows this, and I highly doubt they would let a bid like Calgary slip through their fingers in favor of Sapporo, which can actually say "there's always next time".

This "Asian Era" of the Olympics is cute and all, but I am waiting for this likely "North American era": Calgary 2026, Los Angeles 2028, Salt Lake 2030

I don't live in Calgary, but I know a few Flames fans and they are really angry that the city's mayor is willing to let their NHL ice hockey team leave by refusing to fund a new arena while at the same time spending just as much money on the Olympics. Their argument is that if the city has money to spend on sport it should be spent on a new arena that will be used for forty years rather than the Olympics for two weeks. Imagine if Madrid knew it could host the Olympics, but only if it lost Real Madrid: which would the Madrilenos choose?

I have no idea if this is representative of the general public in Calgary, though.

Edited by Nacre

1 hour ago, Nacre said:

I don't live in Calgary, but I know a few Flames fans and they are really angry that the city's mayor is willing to let their NHL ice hockey team leave by refusing to fund a new arena while at the same time spending just as much money on the Olympics. Their argument is that if the city has money to spend on sport it should be spent on a new arena that will be used for forty years rather than the Olympics for two weeks. Imagine if Madrid knew it could host the Olympics, but only if it lost Real Madrid: which would the Madrilenos choose?

I have no idea if this is representative of the general public in Calgary, though.

I have a couple Canadian colleagues from the Calgary area and I asked about this the other day. The city and the Flames ownership are so far apart on a new arena that it's looking increasingly likely the Flames will leave. And the fieldhouse idea looks dead in the water as well. As for the Olympics, well, I think you will get a better idea of the city's support once the costs start coming out, and I would expect there will probably be a rather vocal "No Olympics" crowd. That seems to be the norm now, especially for winter bids. If a bid does go through it's going to be a "budget no-frills" bid and indications point to the IOC accepting this. Thye have no other choice unless they want to go to Asia again. This means you will liely see the aging Saddledome as the main arena in Calgary for figure skating, short track, and probably the gold medal matches for ice hockey while remaining ice hockey matches are held in Edmonton at Rogers Centre and maybe even Vancouver at the General Motors Place. No doubt the IIHF will complain about this, but there's reallly no othe choice. I wouldn't exactly say the bid is in the clear as far as beinga certainty either. The whole fiasco with the media and IOC that came out will give plenty of ammunition to those against a bid.

I quite like the idea of Calgary's return - with Los Angeles it is fitting. When they both hosted in the 1980s they formed an important part of the transition of the Olympic movement from the dark days of the 1970s into the prosperous 80s/90s. The IOC is in arguably its biggest crisis since the mid-70s, so it seems full circle that we head back to Calgary and Los Angeles in the 2020s (although hopefully by then - following a successful Tokyo and Paris - the woes of the 2010s will be long behind us).