Not that I’ve made much of an effort myselfhere lately, but time was this would’ve been a hot forum topic. This time last year we were arguing La La Land and its effects on the (then) 2024 race.

Anyway...

Went to see this yesterday, and gotta say, really enjoyed it. Is it a whitewash of Harding? Possibly, but it doesn’t really pretend to be THE truth. Whatever you think really happened, there’s no denying you go out of the film with a lot more sympathy for Tonya. As I read in one review, when you see the real footage of Tonya on ice just before the credits, you sure look at it in a new light.

Olympic-wise? They sure recreate Lillehammer 94 well. Not the exact look, when you compare it to the real footage, but pretty damn close. A little bit of Albertville in there as well, but I can’t remember the origina from 92 well enough to comment on that. One thing they got glaringly wrong (from an Oly-nerd standpoint) was her coach telling her, AFTER Albertville, that the IOC had only “just” decided that the next winter games would be held only two years hence. 

And Margo Robbie did I (almost) all her own skating in it. Pretty remarkable! Her performance is great - happy to see her get an Oscar nomination. Allison Janney as the mum is the real scene-stealer, though.

Anyone ese see it yet (I know Puppy has)?

Edited by Sir Rols

On 27/01/2018 at 3:35 AM, Sir Rols said:

Not that I’ve made much of an effort myselfhere lately, but time was this would’ve been a hot forum topic. This time last year we were arguing La La Land and its effects on the (then) 2024 race.

Anyway...

Went to see this yesterday, and gotta say, really enjoyed it. Is it a whitewash of Harding? Possibly, but it doesn’t really pretend to be THE truth. Whatever you think really happened, there’s no denying you go out of the film with a lot more sympathy for Tonya. As I read in one review, when you see the real footage of Tonya on ice just before the credits, you sure look at it in a new light.

Olympic-wise? They sure recreate Lillehammer 94 well. Not the exact look, when you compare it to the real footage, but pretty damn close. A little bit of Albertville in there as well, but I can’t remember the origina from 92 well enough to comment on that. One thing they got glaringly wrong (from an Oly-nerd standpoint) was her coach telling her, AFTER Albertville, that the IOC had only “just” decided that the next winter games would be held only two years hence. 

And Margo Robbie did I (almost) all her own skating in it. Pretty remarkable! Her performance is great - happy to see her get an Oscar nomination. Allison Janney as the mum is the real scene-stealer, though.

Anyone ese see it yet (I know Puppy has)?

How do they 'skate' around the Kerrigan incident (if you pardon the expression)? Do they try to make out it was a genuine accident or that it never really happened at all?

I wonder if Kerrigan is planning to bring out a sequel, "I Nancy"? ;)

On 26/01/2018 at 9:35 PM, Sir Rols said:

I can’t remember the origina from 92 well enough to comment on that.

Here you go

And here's a comparison video between the actual video and how it's portrayed in the movie. Indeed, it's quite alright but, they couldn't get the official logo right, or even the "look of the games" right.

4 hours ago, Mainad said:

How do they 'skate' around the Kerrigan incident (if you pardon the expression)? Do they try to make out it was a genuine accident or that it never really happened at all?

Oh no. The whole film pretty much leads up to “The Incident”. And when it comes, it’s played out graphically.

Let’s just say the film plays with the fact that different people have different, often totally contradictory, accounts of what happened. The blame though falls fairly heavily in the film on her ex and, especially, her “bodyguard”. Tonya doesn’t get away totally scot-free either, but does elicit some sympathy.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JO2024 said:

And here's a comparison video between the actual video and how it's portrayed in the movie. Indeed, it's quite alright but, they couldn't get the official logo right, or even the "look of the games" right.

The film was made on a very small budget - plus I doubt the IOC would have supported the film and allowed use of their trademarks.

• Like 1

Indeed...all the logos, bunting and decorations were 'tweaked' for legal reasons obviously....there was one big error though, in the movie in 1992 her coach comes up says 'the IOC have decided there  will be a Games in 2 years instead of 4 years'...this decision actually happened in 1988, 4 years early. Great movie, sad error.

Of course, yes. So films have to pay a lot of money to the IOC if they want to use the official logos and stuff. Cause in "Eddie the Eagle", the logo and branding and everything seemed very accurate. I guess it depends on the film's budget.

16 hours ago, JO2024 said:

Of course, yes. So films have to pay a lot of money to the IOC if they want to use the official logos and stuff. Cause in "Eddie the Eagle", the logo and branding and everything seemed very accurate. I guess it depends on the film's budget.

I think it has to do with controversy.  They let the inspirational movies like Cool Runnings, Eddie the Eagle, Chariots of Fire  use it, but Tonya...

On 1/26/2018 at 10:35 PM, Sir Rols said:

One thing they got glaringly wrong (from an Oly-nerd standpoint) was her coach telling her, AFTER Albertville, that the IOC had only “just” decided that the next winter games would be held only two years hence. 

Just went and saw it today, and loved it! But ugh I know! The second the coach said it I turned to the person I saw it with like "NO!!! THAT"S NOT WHAT HAPPENED!", forgetting I was in a movie theatre and talking is frowned upon. The people around me probably didn't like me then, but oh well. I provided them a service only "Oly-nerds" (Is that what we're called???) can :lol:

• Like 1

I just watched the movie as well and I absolutely loved it! The way it made you sympathize with Tonya was truly heartbreaking but maybe that's just because I'm a sucker for feels haha. At the same time, though, it also made Tonya much more terrifying. Since it's already established from the beginning that this is all a web of lies, her portrayed innocence just makes her look even more sly and manipulative.

But by far, my favorite parts of the movie was when the characters broke the 4th wall. It felt really well executed in my opinion.

That's just my take, thank you for joining me for another episode of Mediocre Movie Reviews with Woohoo :P