PyeongChang 2018 Ceremonies Spoiler Thread

Highly unlikely they will change the lighting method.

For one the mechanics are in place already and it would be impossible to come up with a new method. 

Second, 99.9% of the world won't be aware the stadium is a Pentagon shape let alone be aware of this cauldron leak. It's still going to be a secret for the majority. 

They said they were "considering" it. But considering there is less than two weeks before the Opening, I doubt they will have time to change it unless they simplify the lightning of the cauldron now. 

Also, like mattygs said, most in the world don't even know about the supossed leaks.

With all the leaks from volunteers/contractors/curious people who seemingly can just wander in - it was only a matter of time before the method was leaked. Silly Reuters - but lighting a cauldron that is visible for a considerable distance outside the stadium was bound to be caught on camera by someone.  The stadium is very close to a major road and residential areas.

Another singer confirmed to take part. Also they explain what the singers will apparently be doing at the Opening.

There will be a special collab performance by Ahn Ji Young from K-Pop band Bolbbalgan4, and Jeon Ink Won and his folk music band Deugulkhwa, apparently to symbolize how much korean music has changed over the years. 

https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/30/ha-hyun-woo-bolbbalgan4s-ahn-ji-young-perform-2018-pyeongchang-olympics-opening-ceremony/

ha-hyun-woo-ahn-ji-young.jpg

Guckkasten’s Ha Hyun Woo will be performing at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics opening ceremony.

See Also: Watch Live: The 27th Seoul Music Awards

On January 30, his agency Interpark INT stated, “Ha Hyun Woo will be taking the stage as a solo vocalist” but did not give any details about the upcoming performance.

Ha Hyun Woo has been part of the indie rock band Guckkasten since the early 2000s but became more widely known after achieving several records on the show “King of Masked Singer.”

Other performers confirmed for the night are Bolbbalgan4’s Ahn Ji Young, who will be joining veteran singer Jeon In Kwon and band Deulgukhwa in a special collaboration stage. The performance is designed to show the communication between generations of Korean music. A source reported earlier this month that the theme of the song is “peace.”

The opening ceremony for the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics will take place on February 9 at 8 p.m. KST at the Gangwon Province PyeongChang Olympic Stadium. The ceremony will be directed by Yang Jung Woong, a play director.

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2018/01/30/0200000000AKR20180130158000007.HTML

On this article, the production staff confirmed once more (because of reports from some groups saying they feared the National anthem and flag wouldnt be heard because of the unified team) there WILL be a South Korean flag/anthem performance. Apparently the Taegeukgi will be brought in by a group of celebrities, in a short segment with a Taegeuk motif/theme (the red/blue ying yang symbol which is the most recognized symbol of Korea and which also is on their flag)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taegeuk

6 hours ago, PikyoK said:

There is a 100% chance that PSY will be mentioned at the Opening Ceremony.

The link is not working. You should try with other one.

Also, short video of the rehearsals from the distance. One can hear a tiny bit of the music if you put earphones on

That small last sound is a tiny bit similar to how the traditional korean court music starts (look at the guy on green at the following video)

This is not a spoiler, but rather just myself making theories. Doing a research about korean culture during these last couple of months, when I constantly browse online to see the opinion of koreans , there is one thing many have in common: Arirang, despite being the most recognized korean song in and abroad, has become very repetitive and exhausting even for themselves, specially for the younger generations. If you look at the comments of koreans regarding the handover done in 2014, i even saw the comment of someone saying they "wanted to travel back in time and kill whoever composed Arirang" , along most common ones like "Is Arirang the only patriotic song we can offer to the world?", even begging Ryo Kunihiko (who will be the music producer for the Opening Ceremony as well) to try toning down the use of Arirang and using other less known folk music. 

Then, I found there is another patriotic song which has been gaining a lot of popularity since the last decade, because many agree its lyrics represents new, modern Korea, instead of talking about the past struggles for peace/unity. This song, "Beautiful Country" was already used at two sport ceremonies (closing ceremony of the 2011 IAAF World Championship in Daegu and at the closing of Incheon 2014 Asiad). 

Just saying, it would be nice if they used a shortened version of this song during the entrance of the South Korean flag. It would help for a touching moment like Ode to Motherland was in Beijing 2008. :P 

Interview with music producer Yang Bang Ean (aka Ryo Kunihiko)

http://www.kwnews.co.kr/nview.asp?s=601&aid=218013100102

218013100102.jpg

[Gangwon Ilbo] PyeongChang Olympic Games "Pyeongchang imprint on the world's chest with our magnificent and colorful sound"

New Age composer from Korean II
Sochi Closing Ceremony Arranging Gangwon Arirang
Jeongseon Arirang is a modern reinterpretation
'Ecozoo Pyeongchang' introduces new music
Opening ceremony Traditional melody and popular music
To inform Gangwon's charming color world

The preparation to catch the ears of the people of the world is complete.

The 57-year-old Pyeongchang Winter Olympic music director, who met at a café near the Olympic Plaza in Pyeongchang on March 31, was waiting for the opening ceremony to be more exciting than anyone else.

Yang said, "Since the opening ceremony attracts attention from all over the world, the first music has made it as grand and glamorous as possible to imprint Pyeongchang, which is the venue." "We have melted the attractive colors of Korean traditional music, , And it was popularly composed for everyone to enjoy. "

The relationship between the Yangbian music director and the tie goes back to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. At the closing ceremony of the Sochi Winter Olympic Games, he arranged 'Gangwon Arirang' at a show introducing Pyeongchang, and focused attention on the people of the world.

Since then, he has been producing music for the past three years by reinterpreting Jungsun Arirang, a contemporary interpretation of the Jungsun Arirang for the past three years. He has also released the album "Echoes for PyeongChang" succeded.

The path of the music that he walked purely led him naturally to the music director of the Pyeongchang Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremony. Currently cooperating with the directors at the hotel near the Olympic Stadium in PyeongChang, and is trying to improve the completeness of the opening ceremony.

Especially, the affection for "Jung Sun Arirang" was different. Yang said, "It was new because we had a different feeling from Arirang when we first heard about our long history. We feel sad and sick at first, but when we listen to it repeatedly, we feel the humorous aspect of Korea. I was friendly and comfortable. " He added, "Although it was the work that was started to promote Arilang in the Pyeongchang Olympic Games, it ultimately became a way to walk the path of new music."

He expressed his gratitude for being given the position of 'Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Music Director'. Yang said, "Since the Olympic music director is not a place that I would like to do, I feel more responsibility and I am committed to my work with the best of my ability." All the members are fully engaged in the Olympic Festival. I hope you will. "

Yang is a pianist and New Age music composer who is a Korean national and has two Korean nationalities and works on the world stage.

The Olympic Winter Games in Korea

Also, you could say that the music that is playing could be the music for the Lighting of the Cauldron or the end to the Artistic Segment of the OC.

I found some images of inflatable doves flying away from the stadium. This is probably for the Doves of Peace segment (a la Nagano 1998).

^^ No. That was for the opening of the Olympic Village. It is not related to the Opening at all.

Short video of the stadium now with all the flags hoisted. Tomorrow early in the morning is the first full Dress Rehearsal, so lots of spoilers are probably going to come in a few hours. 

It seems the warning against people who would try leaking pictures of the rehearsal of facing legal actions kind of worked. Almost all the pics are just from the outside of the venue. So far people have said they liked the opening ceremony, and feel the story was very well conveyed (though one mentioned a weird part at the middle.). Some also felt patriotism. Though the general opinion, of course, was the harsh cold of the venue. 

There is this picture I managed to grab before the original user deleted it. Seems like it's for the Parade of Nations segment. I won't embeed the picture here but for those who want to watch it click the following link.

https://imgur.com/a/eapvq

18 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

There was this traditional dance troupe guys marching on the outsides of the stadium, but not sure if they're related to the opening. 

https://i.imgur.com/Cj8W0WM.jpg

I also saw some people in the troupe holding the traditional Cheongsachorong lantern. There was also a lady holding the lantern as she was marching around the stadium with the flagbearer. These people holding the lantern might be the design for the Parade of Nations for the OC.

Yeah. It seems the placard bearers this year are bot a guy and a girl holding a Cheongsachorong lantern, whic probably has the name of the country engraved on it. The lanterns kind of remind me of the children of light from SLC 2002.

Wouldn't be the first time Korea used the idea for an opening. In Busan 2002 Asiad we had a Cheongsachorong lantern for each of the nations

151570914957_20180112.jpg