Gold Coast 2018 CWG Opening Ceremony

18 hours ago, yoshi said:

Was that Jessica Mauboy? Quickest Eurovision link in ceremonial history?

That was Christine Anu singing her Aussie classic 'My Island Home' :). 

15 hours ago, intoronto said:

These ceremonies were nicely done!! 

8/10

----

-A lot of reused concepts from ceremonies

• Also the final song "Together we are one" was also the official theme song of Toronto 2015 (although a different song)

Together We Are One was actually sung by Delta Goodrem at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony. Delta was in this Ceremony as well singing a different song. Thought it was nice to hear a throwback to her 2006 song. 

15 hours ago, intoronto said:

-A lot of reused concepts from ceremonies

• Whale projection concept (used in Vancouver 2010)
15 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Probably the same whale- they did show it heading south through the Atlantic and round Africa to reach Australia !

The whale was a tribute to Migaloo the white whale. A popular animal here in Australia who was originally thought to be the only all white humpback whale in the world. Every so often he is spotted off the Eastern Coast of Australia ranging from NSW up to Queensland. 

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2017/07/20-facts-about-migaloo-the-white-whale

• Thanks 2

Thought i'd post about my night volunteering at the Opening Ceremony. 

Was working at the entry gates so I got to see all the enthusiasm from the spectators. Was a little worried I wouldn't see any of the action but the night turned out to be even better than I thought. Managed to not get rained on as I was on break when the brief, but heavy shower arrived.

Went back out once the ceremony began and we assisted with the various ceremony volunteers getting into the stadium. Once that was all underway I got to watch part of the Indigenous welcome, Christine Anu singing 'My Island Home' and Rikki Lee's beach bit. Then came the real highlight of the night, we were stationed back outside the stadium during the Parade of Nations. The athletes entered from the opposite end of the stadium from us but to my surprise, they exited the stadium right where we were. It was our job to point them in the direction of their buses. So all these athletes from around the world came out of the stadium and were dancing. hi 5ing us, fist bumping, filming us etc. The athletes from the African nations in particular were friendly, fun and hilarious. A few delegates from the nations handed our some pins to us as well, I got pins from Northern Ireland, Namibia and Cyprus which was awesome.

Once that was done, we went back to letting more ceremony volunteers inside the stadium, this continued on for a while so we managed to go and watch the rest of the show. The torch relay, Prince Charles talking, Delta singing etc etc.

Overall it was an amazing night. Loved the atmosphere and a great opening for the games. 

• Like 4

So I've just watched it again and yes...Very Gold Coast...Including that poor girl and her ample derriere!!!:D

The cleansing ceremony with the burning leaves - Camilla so wanted to smoke that!!! Her eyes said it all. That was the only time she woke up!!!:D

Overall it was a typical CWGs opening of the 21st century...different from 2014, which is what we want.

But it didn't jump off the TV screen as outstanding - Better than Melbourne 06 though. (but nothing on that Sydney 2000 masterpiece, a totally different universe)

I'll give it a score 8/10 - It was good but I'm here to watch the sports.

Finally watched it. I think the countdown/opening was very slow and it took some time to take off, but once it did it was pretty nice and classy. Performance of the Australian anthem was pretty nice (I liked how the Coat of Arms was "drawn" in the sand). The sea segment was so Gold Coast-ish and i''m glad it was incorporated into the Parade of Nations. I also liked the segment which was integrated with the arrival of the Queen's Baton. 

There were some criticism the Aboriginal people got way too much spotlight, but on today's time, I honestly feel it was fitting, as well for the raising of the Aboriginal flag alongside the Australian flag.

Overall, a 7.5/10. I'm still a bit biased for the Dehli ceremonies, but it was much better than Glasgow's embarassment. 

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Finally watched it. I think the countdown/opening was very slow and it took some time to take off, but once it did it was pretty nice and classy. Performance of the Australian anthem was pretty nice (I liked how the Coat of Arms was "drawn" in the sand). The sea segment was so Gold Coast-ish and i''m glad it was incorporated into the Parade of Nations. I also liked the segment which was integrated with the arrival of the Queen's Baton. 

There were some criticism the Aboriginal people got way too much spotlight, but on today's time, I honestly feel it was fitting, as well for the raising of the Aboriginal flag alongside the Australian flag.

Overall, a 7.5/10. I'm still a bit biased for the Dehli ceremonies, but it was much better than Glasgow's embarassment. 

Glad you enjoyed it. The countdown was from 65,000 years to 0 but it was something special. Talkback radio in Sydney criticised too much emphasis on Aboriginal people at the Opening Ceremony.  

Liked the Indigenous segments especially the welcome plus it was fitting that the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags were raised at the Ceremony too. Overall it was much better than the embarrassment of Glasgow but not as good as Melbourne 2006. The flying whale at the finale was something special.  

I'd give it a 7.0/10 

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, is the OC worth watching?  Is it better than Melbourne 2006 and Glasgow 2014?  

It's starts off slow....But compared to '06, better as this was a totally new type of venue and city hosting. Local children and adults were the performers. Projections and inflatables for effect and to keep costs down. As for comparing to '14, not really. (got to remember there are cultural differences and at that time the Scotland independence vote date was approaching.)

Also this is not and Olympics opening and up against Sydney 2000, not comparable.

Some You Tube clips are out there.

13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, is the OC worth watching?  Is it better than Melbourne 2006 and Glasgow 2014?  

Glasgow - yes - it is a better show (though I actually liked the charm of the Glaswegian opener).

Melbourne - not so much.  Melbourne had some truly jawdropping moments - the flying tram, the aerial ballet to 'Under The Milky Way', Delta singing an actual good song for once. 

The GC one had the whale and a nice indigenous section - but the low budget showed - and at times it came across as really... home made.  Like Mum sewed the costumes kind of cheap. 

It was OK - just... lackluster.  Which is fine and all - just... no-one should expect an Olympic scale ceremony at the CGs - they should be able to expect a cohesive show though.  Plus the continual throwbacks to past Aussie ceremonies got old.  Christine Anu again. Delta again. 'You're The Voice' again...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That, I suppose, raises the question of who have been Australia's breakout musical stars since Melbourne '06. Jessica Mauboy obviously. Other notable candidates?

Sia. Flume. Vance Joy. Troye Silvan. Jessica is fine. Keith Urban (who is a Queenslander - though born in NZ). 5 Seconds Of Summer. Angus and Julia Stone.

I'm assuming there were other acts approached - it's just... eh.

On 4/6/2018 at 5:34 AM, Alexjc said:

It's starts off slow....But compared to '06, better as this was a totally new type of venue and city hosting. 

Fair call if you prefer it over 2006, but this observation is confusing? Melbourne was a first time CwG host. 

51 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Starting with Sia (who has spend little time in Australia in the past 20 years, and became famous in the US in 2005) was cheating; pretty much the same applies to Keith Urban. But yes, any of the others would have been fun.

Most famous Australian artists spend much of their careers in US and Europe - they go where the money and industry is. Suggesting we don't have the right to claim them as our own talent is a bit unfair. 

8 hours ago, spiele said:

Most famous Australian artists spend much of their careers in US and Europe - they go where the money and industry is. Suggesting we don't have the right to claim them as our own talent is a bit unfair. 

Sorry- by "cheating" I was mostly referring to the substance of my question, asking about "Australia's breakout musical stars since Melbourne '06". Both Sia and Keith were established internationally before 2006.

After seeing the main highlights, now I can give my impressions when I still need to watch the full replay. It was absolutely FANTASTIC! After Rio ceremonies, it was proved that with no huge displays of technology and mass performances, a very good show can be done … And this is the new prove of this… Now, ceremonies are no growing up in scale or in mass participants, but in creativity and talent what is the real essence of an excellent show. Again, after Rio, Kuala Lumpur or PyeongChang those features were the stars… Indeed, these Commonwealth ceremonies gave us a lot better show than the recent past Winter Olympics… And this is the occasion when regional games can top or even surpass Olympic ceremonies… Gold Coast was vivid, joyful, entertaining…. Yes, very creative and that is what amazed me the most….. How fun creativity in this ceremony was carried out: volunteers of all ages, lights and moderate but precise fireworks displays… and the novelty this time was the projections not on a white floor, but on a sand floor… what was really blew my mind!

Meeting Christine Annu 18 years later singing “My island home” again was terrific (even if she was lyp syncing or not as some media pointed out); the entrance of the authorities, the countdown and the clip and Australia anthem (too moving again) were simple but brilliant points… Yeah, it totally surpassed my expectation, totally toped Glasgow and Delhi ceremonies and from now on, it will be one of my favorite ceremonies ever… Really loved it!

Special attention is given on the placard bearers who were surfers and the whale segment… I hope ceremonies continue increasing not on the lavishness, but on talent and creativity which has been keynote of the latest ceremonies around the world… because that’s really what art is about!

Totally well done Gold Coast. Congrats Australia!

3 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

with no huge displays of technology and mass performances, a very good show can be done

Agreed, with one major reservation: the artistic performance was designed for TV, and the use of a relatively small central "stage" may have made it (Migaloo apart) rather distant and uninvolving from the viewpoint of the average stadium spectator.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:52 PM, spiele said:

I agree with you 100% on that. ......

Though I always do find the Australian mindset regarding this quite entertaining.

Any Aussie celeb (music, movies, tv etc) that moves overseas to advance their career is still fiercely claimed as Aussie. However, the moment a Kiwi crosses over to Oz for the same reason they become Australian. :lol:

I do wonder if David Zolkwer's involvement in Com Games ceremonies is becoming a little overkill, however we probably shouldn't get our hopes up considering we are back to England in 2022. I think he's provided a great shift in what ceremonies can be about , but he's been involved in 4 of the last 5. I also feel that what become a point of different in Manchester, has almost become his new norm.  I think the opening ceremony really lacked a *moment*. That doesn't have to mean a technological wow moment, but just something that will be remembered. I'm not too sure if Migaloo is that. I think what was presented was great (the indigenous section was really well done), but it was missing something and at times I felt it was a little lazy. 

I think it's a little unfair to have to compare it to Melbourne 2006. I loved that ceremony, however everything about those Com Games had the undertone of Victoria competing with NSW (and doing one up on Sydney 2000).

What's quite interesting that I hadn't expected is the negative backlash of Katie Noonan as musical director. I must say it's a tad odd how she seems to have most certainly taken the opportunity to thrust herself to the front. She is by all accounts going to also be appearing in the closing ceremony. hmmmm. Not entirely sure I like that. Seems that she is one of the reasons Aussie band Sheppard will not be appearing despite being asked. A shame, they're great and an example of great current Australian (and QLD) talent. Coming Home (despite alluding to Fortitude Valley in Bris) would be a great addition to the closing.