Gold Coast 2018 CWG Opening Ceremony

Does anyone know exactly when it starts? According to Google Gold Coast is 10 hours ahead of UK time, but if  it's a standard 8pm start, that's 10am here - & BBC don't even start coverage till 10:30. So is Google wrong or is it starting at 9pm local?

I'm even more confused now. The GC site, all the papers & the BBC's schedule page say it starts at 10, but their coverage starts at 10:30 - & the Games countdown clock on the official site is counting down to 11 (!) Either I'm thick, something is a typo, the BBC are doing a tape delay or our clocks going forward has messed everyone up :P

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

And woops, it appears Channel 9 shown that snippet of the opening without permission so they're banned from the Opening Ceremony now :wacko:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/03/channel-nines-suspension-from-commonwealth-games-under-review

They just showed some "sneaky peeks" from the dress rehearsal ceremony...Pretty impressive...and very much a beach party. 

Looking forward to tonight for the real thing...Always remember the Opening sets the tone for the Games.

No one here? I guessed this'd be the live chat thread. Anyway looking forward to this, the Commonwealth Games are always good fun - even if the buildup to this has felt very lowkey this year - maybe because it's before the World Cup this time. 

TVNZ has two channels operating. The main channel with Tony Street hosting with our main sports announcers. And... The channel I'm going to follow... TVNZ Duke... Which has that infamous "alternative commentary" announcing team for the ceremonies. Thats the main wall to wall CWGs channel with no cut outs for news etc... 

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

Alternative commentary eh? We get regular or no commentary options. Also, are any of the forum's Aussies on here or have they all gone on pilgrimage up there? Would be nice to have a home viewpoint too. 

:D It's hilarious...

They usually on for the Cricket or the Rugby. 

Shall we say it's not for the politically correct set...You'll be thinking it - they will say it!!!

The rain is pouring down...

Bummer. 

But at least the Alternative Commentary team are already taking the piss out of it! 

Edited by Alexjc