Sign in to follow this  
AustralianFan

Gold Coast 2018 CWG Opening Ceremony

Can't be any worse than the Glasgow effort - that was easily the worst Opening Ceremony I've ever seen.  Melbourne's was quite strong back in 2006 so I'm hopeful the Gold Coast can deliver, especially as Australia seems to be pretty much the only country that still cares about the Commonwealth Games.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Can't be any worse than the Glasgow effort - that was easily the worst Opening Ceremony I've ever seen.  Melbourne's was quite strong back in 2006 so I'm hopeful the Gold Coast can deliver, especially as Australia seems to be pretty much the only country that still cares about the Commonwealth Games.

:angry:Twat!

• Thanks 1

There was talk of Kylie being invited to perform (sigh) but that doesn't seem overly likely as her 'Golden' album comes out around the same time and she'll probably stay in the UK to promote it.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

There was talk of Kylie being invited to perform (sigh) but that doesn't seem overly likely as her 'Golden' album comes out around the same time and she'll probably stay in the UK to promote it.

Problem is that the CWGs Opening and Closing ceremonies are just not "the Gig" to line up to perform for anymore - Especially if you have nailed an Olympics ceremony.

4 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Problem is that the CWGs Opening and Closing ceremonies are just not "the Gig" to line up to perform for anymore - Especially if you have nailed an Olympics ceremony.

Her career has well and truly slipped into "heritage act" here though. So who knows? The Gold Coast is such a tacky town they may go for glitz and glamour.

• Like 1

Ok.. and here we are after PyeongChang... waiting foe CWG ceremonies...

Anyway.. I think whatever what we are going to see will be better than Glasgow opening.... on my top 3 of the worst ceremonies ever...

Delta Goodrem will apparently perform in the opening ceremony, a second CWG ceremonies appearance for her.

There is also supposedly a 500 strong didgeridoo orchestra 

More details

The stadium will be turned into an inland beach for the ceremonies with sand dumped onto the stadium, there will also be a lifeguard tower featuring.

Aswell as Delta, Dami Im will perform.

Hope someone yells COOOOOOWEEEEE!!!! at the very start of the Ceremonies like they did up the road in Brizzy in 1982!:)

And dress up in a blue safari suit and sing tie me...... oh maybe not. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mattygs said:

And dress up in a blue safari suit and sing tie me...... oh maybe not. :lol:

...Make a huge Aussie Flag mosaic - actually that will probably happen. 

Prince Phillip looking on and make out he is getting into it and having fun...(ahh YouTube)

Already liking the idea of making a beach-inspired stage for the Opening, as well for the life-guard tower. Here's hoping the show is better than whatever Glasgow did in 2014 (I watched it again yesterday in order to get into the mood for the CWG and dear god its even worse than I remember)

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/carrara-stadium-will-be-an-inland-beach-for-commonwealth-games-opening-ceremony/news-story/234a92f1943bfe9ad6d179a0edee0a11

Carrara Stadium will be an inland beach for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony

CARRARA Stadium will be transformed into an inland beach as hundreds of surf lifesavers take centre stage at next week’s opening ceremony for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

Tonnes of sand have been dumped inside the stadium for Wednesday night’s opening spectacular which will feature about 400 lifesavers and nippers, The Courier-Mail can reveal.

Singers Delta Goodrem and Dami Im add star power to a cast of thousands performing, while dazzling lighting effects will include a wave breaking and receding on the sand, which will also be lit up with the flags of the 71 competing nations and territories.

2b68ea34ce9a1332758db5e0eb772f9c?width=6

Lifesavers will usher the athletes and team officials into the stadium and have even been given the job of bringing in the chairs for them to sit on.

An iconic yellow Gold Coast lifeguard tower placed inside the stadium is also set to feature in the ceremony in a salute to the Glitter Strip’s finest.

The stadium will be ringed with a ribbon of striking Aboriginal artwork as part of a strong indigenous theme, including a 500-piece didgeridoo orchestra and Aboriginal dancers, some of whom are members of the famed professional troupe Bangarra.

More than 4000 performers in the opening ceremony have been rehearsing for weeks behind the stadium walls.

But thousands of Games volunteers and about 500 local schoolchildren will get a sneak peak at the opening ceremony at a full dress rehearsal on Saturday night, which will be repeated on Monday.

The opening ceremony will be attended by about 35,000 people including Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, as well as Prince Edward, the Commonwealth Games Federation’s vice-patron.

Celebrities including Margot Robbie, Chris Hemsworth, Miranda Kerr, Mick Fanning and Greg Norman have also been invited by the State Government.

“When the world tunes in to hear what the Gold Coast has to say on April 4, we’ll be ready,’’ Games creative director David Zolkwe, who has choreographed events including the Athens Olympics and 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, said.

“This city, with its connectivity to an awesome natural environment is the perfect stage from which to tell a universal story about, time, place and the things that connect us, whoever we are, wherever we are.”

The ceremony will feature a 3300m sq performance stage and 3200m sq of staging around the track to accommodate the Parade of Nations.

The stadium’s track and field will be safeguarded by more than 8000m sq of ground cloth and 6000m sq of temporary roadways.

Technicians have installed 600m of trussing to support 46 tons of audio and lighting equipment and installed and commissioned 22 high-powered projectors.

ARIA-award winning Queensland musician Katie Noonan, former frontwoman of the Brisbane band George, is musical director for the opening and closing ceremonies.

Mr Zolkwer works for US-based ceremonies experts Jack Morton Worldwide, which was embroiled in controversy four years ago after it was revealed leading Australian choreographers including Sydney Olympics ‘‘ringmaster’’ Ric Birch had missed out on the ceremonies contract.

1a0199fff5c0ba40d373d38d6a4e3c12?width=6

Despite the Glasgow ceremonies were one of the most weird and boring ever, I think none, never, can top the placard bearers...

Imagen relacionada

Imagen relacionada

Imagen relacionada

• Like 1

There are already some spoiler pictures at Instagram if you search with the Carrara Stadium tags. I'll only post the link to see all of the pics for people who want to keep the surprise until wednesday.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/246923135/carrara-stadium/

I can't hold back seeing the spoilers pics of any ceremony... and... yeah!!!! It seems a lot better than Glasgow.... It may top Delhi 2010 ceremonies!!!!!

Can't wait for the OC to showcase Australian culture given that I'm Australian. I just saw the spoilers and they are great. I think it could top all Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony.

They are starting to add seats for the athletes.

Hey everyone, haven't been on here in quite a while.

I'm volunteering for these Commonwealth Games and got to work the opening ceremony rehearsal last night. Not going to spoil it but it was really good. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

The issue here is to top the 2010 Delhi ceremonies and their own 2006 ceremonies held in Melbourne.... 

Anyone can top boring Glasgow ceremonies (excepting the placard bearers... none can top them)

1 hour ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Hey everyone, haven't been on here in quite a while.

I'm volunteering for these Commonwealth Games and got to work the opening ceremony rehearsal last night. Not going to spoil it but it was really good. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow night. 

Goods on you! :D

Hope you give us a behind-the-scenes view after the event!

Good luck and enjoy!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/watch/39705413/your-first-look-at-the-gold-coast-commonwealth-games-opening-ceremony/

Here is a video I got from an Australian TV morning show called Sunrise. It features a sneak peek of the Opening Ceremony. I don't know if this video is available only in Australia. If so, you can use a VPN.

Seems like the budget of this ceremony was kind of low, judging for the sneak peak. I think, however, those who have grown tired of projections in sport ceremonies might like it since it seems their use will be minimal to non-existant on tomorrow's opening.