Sign in to follow this  
AustralianFan

Gold Coast 2018 CWG Opening Ceremony

3 hours ago, mattygs said:

I think it's a little unfair to have to compare it to Melbourne 2006. I loved that ceremony, however everything about those Com Games had the undertone of Victoria competing with NSW (and doing one up on Sydney 2000).

Aside from it being staged 6 years after 2000 - how exactly? 

Frankly it was the 2018 ceremonies which - to me - were shadowing the Sydney Olympics far more obviously than Melbourne did in 2006 (even so far as using the same music). 

16 hours ago, spiele said:

Frankly it was the 2018 ceremonies which - to me - were shadowing the Sydney Olympics far more obviously than Melbourne did in 2006 (even so far as using the same music). 

I always considered 2006 as over the top like KL98, and using Dame Kiri Te Kanawa to sing happy birthday to the Queen just tacky.

This also had a disastrous effect on New Delhi who felt the need to compete. Impressive and costly OC but shambolic games.

2018 Open Ceremony DID drag on a little too long. Especially the opening galaxy sequence. Also I think the nighttime opening ceremonies are becoming tiresome, physically and mentally.

The CGF should stipulate a further cut in time. 

I don't think that Melbourne 2006 shadowed Sydney 2000 in terms of creative content (they were quite different styles), however I think it was a ceremony that was based around an Olympic scale. Now don't get me wrong, I loved those ceremonies and have long ranked the Under the Milky Way segment up there as one of my favourite all time ceremony moments. I think in terms of the ceremony production feel / size, Gold Coast is in that same mould as Manchester and Glasgow. 

Alex to an extent I would agree re: the opening galaxy sequence. It didn't present an overly high impact start to the ceremony and almost felt more global than Commonwealth. I'm not so sure it had much to do with the rest of the ceremony either. 

On 15/04/2018 at 12:41 AM, mattygs said:

Alex to an extent I would agree re: the opening galaxy sequence. It didn't present an overly high impact start to the ceremony and almost felt more global than Commonwealth.

But there was a global theme of harmony with the environment pretty much running through the whole show, linked by Migaloo.

On 4/15/2018 at 7:17 AM, Alexjc said:

I always considered 2006 as over the top like KL98, and using Dame Kiri Te Kanawa to sing happy birthday to the Queen just tacky.

This also had a disastrous effect on New Delhi who felt the need to compete. Impressive and costly OC but shambolic games.

2018 Open Ceremony DID drag on a little too long. Especially the opening galaxy sequence. Also I think the nighttime opening ceremonies are becoming tiresome, physically and mentally.

The CGF should stipulate a further cut in time. 

But how exactly was it over the top? Delhi issues were Delhi issues and would have happened regardless of where 2006 was staged. 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:41 AM, mattygs said:

I don't think that Melbourne 2006 shadowed Sydney 2000 in terms of creative content (they were quite different styles), however I think it was a ceremony that was based around an Olympic scale. Now don't get me wrong, I loved those ceremonies and have long ranked the Under the Milky Way segment up there as one of my favourite all time ceremony moments. I think in terms of the ceremony production feel / size, Gold Coast is in that same mould as Manchester and Glasgow. 

Alex to an extent I would agree re: the opening galaxy sequence. It didn't present an overly high impact start to the ceremony and almost felt more global than Commonwealth. I'm not so sure it had much to do with the rest of the ceremony either. 

I think that has more to do with it being held in the MCG - an intimidatingly large venue for a creative team to utilise. They had no option but to go large. Anything on a smaller scale with less flair would have looked like an awkward and an inappropriate response to a large arena.