Past Winter Olympic sites may not be able to host again

LatinXTC

According to a NYT story, by 2050 several former winter Olympic hosts will no longer be able to host the winter olympics again due to climate change. Some on there weren't at all surprising to me like Sochi and Garmish (I've noticed a trend in warming temps there when I compared temps between that area and Pyeongchang while they were bidding to host the 2018 winter games). Looks like maybe Vancouver should try and put in 1 more bid soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/11/climate/winter-olympics-global-warming.html

• 1 month later...

While that chart suggests Lake Placid might still be reliably cold enough to support ice and snow in 2050, it appears that this current winter (2018) may boast the warmest February on record with four days in New York's North Country where the thermometer neared 70 degrees F.  In fact, the last two days of the month are expected to be over sixty degrees as far north as Saranac Lake which is just  few miles west of Lake Placid.  The change is happening.  It's here.  These warm temps have another problem.  If there is precipitation, it comes as rain and that wreaks havoc on a state with the most ski resorts in the nation.  Some of those ski mountains have had to try additional attractions just to remain viable because the ski season is not reliable.  Some have built camping lodges and restaurants apart from the skiing.  Several have built indoor water parks with another preparing to open in the Catskills.   Many have summer outdoor water slides.  Virtually all make their own snow which is extremely costly.  Lake Placid, while it has maintained and upgraded its Olympic venues, is simply too small to host a modern Olympic Winter Games.  I's smack in the middle of a "forever wild" state park so there is little room for expansion.  It will continue to hose championships in bobsleigh, luge or skeleton, ski jumping, hockey and figure skating.  It hosts Alpine events and is bidding for several large youth sporting events and annually hosts over a thousand athletes for the Empire State Games.  But if LP had to make snow in 1980, the first Olympic host that needed to do so, it's only going to get worse--and warmer-- in the Adirondacks.