GB in Korea

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, we've got a biathlete!

Biathlete Amanda Lightfoot selected to Team GB for PyeongChang 2018

22 JANUARY 2018 / 16:43

Amanda Lightfoot has today been selected as Team GB’s sole biathlete for the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games.

The 30-year-old from South Shields returns to Olympic competition after featuring four years ago at Sochi 2014. Lightfoot finished 71st in the 15km individual event in Russia, following her 75th place in the 7.5km sprint – her Olympic debut.

https://www.teamgb.com/news/biathlete-amanda-lightfoot-selected-to-team-gb-for-pyeongchang-2018

And at last, the full team (just the introduction here, 'cos it's a very long list:

The British Olympic Association will take its largest ever delegation to an Olympic Winter Games next month after 59 athletes were officially selected to Team GB for PyeongChang 2018.

The 56 who travelled to Sochi four years ago was the previous highest, having grown from 52 at Vancouver 2010. Lake Placid 1932 remains the Games with the fewest British competitors, with just four figure skaters making the trip to the USA.

At PyeongChang 2018, Team GB will compete in 11 of the 15 disciplines; alpine skiing, biathlon, bobsleigh, cross-country skiing, curling, figure skating, freestyle skiing, luge, short track speed skating, skeleton and snowboarding.

https://www.teamgb.com/news/meet-the-team-record-number-of-athletes-selected-for-pyeongchang-2018

• 2 weeks later...

Katie Ormerod ruled out of PyeongChang 2018

08 FEBRUARY 2018 / 15:59

Team GB snowboard athlete Katie Ormerod has been ruled out of the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games following a severe fracture to her right heel bone.

The 20-year-old from Brighouse was due to compete in snowboard slopestyle and snowboard big air and will undergo emergency surgery in the morning.

One bone-breaking injury just wasn't enough for her ...

6 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

One bone-breaking injury just wasn't enough for her ...

- and well done BBC for inserting a regretful Clare Balding voiceover at the end of the confident interview with Katie on the pre-recorded "Countdown to the Games" show which is just finishing on BBC2.

23 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Super Saturday to come ???

Oddly enough- yes !

Lizzy Yarnold defended her skeleton title and Laura Deas claimed bronze on Great Britain's most successful day at a Winter Olympics.

It took the British medal count on Saturday to three, after Izzy Atkin claimed a ski slopestyle bronze.

Yarnold, having won gold at Sochi 2014, becomes the Briton to retain a Winter Games title and also the first skeleton athlete to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42981272

- except, yet again, for Elise Christie

British short-track skater Elise Christie was in tears as she was taken to hospital after crashing out of the 1500m semi-final at Pyeongchang 2018.

The 27-year-old collided with China's Li Jinyu on the final lap as she tried to finish in the top two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43095324

• Like 1

Congrats to Yarnold, Deas and Atkin!!! :D

But what is it with Christie and all these crashes? Something seriously wrong with her technique?? :wacko:

10 hours ago, Mainad said:

But what is it with Christie and all these crashes? Something seriously wrong with her technique?? :wacko:

I suspect that depends on how you define "wrong". She's the current World Record holder in women's 500m short track speed skating, which implies that her technique is very effective indeed provided nobody gets in her way ...

13 hours ago, Mainad said:

To put it into words of one of the Canadian commentators one time. She's a b!tch, she is unpopular on the circuit and skaters give her a hard time knowing she'll get over-aggressive and get DQed. 

• Thanks 1

But that surely won't stop her fellow British short track compatriots and her nation in continuing supporting her unconditionally. They fall emotionally and feel heartbroken with and for her when following Christie. If I were Christie, I would publicly say, given the unknown circumstances ahead, that I can't promise that I'll be back for Beijing instead of saying that I will come back rather than putting a brave face of comfort; you exactly don't what will happen in 4 years time, which can be a LONG time. I would just simply go away for an extended period. Wilf O'Reilly suggests she should focus on the long track version. 

13 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

But that surely won't stop her fellow British short track compatriots and her nation in continuing supporting her unconditionally. They fall emotionally and feel heartbroken with and for her when following Christie. If I were Christie, I would publicly say, given the unknown circumstances ahead, that I can't promise that I'll be back for Beijing instead of saying that I will come back rather than putting a brave face of comfort; you exactly don't what will happen in 4 years time, which can be a LONG time. I would just simply go away for an extended period. Wilf O'Reilly suggests she should focus on the long track version. 

Is Elise Christie's Olympic nightmare down to bad luck or bad racing?

One or two slices of misfortune would be natural. But a run of six successive crashes or disqualifications at a Winter Olympics is harder to explain away

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/20/elise-christie-winter-olympics-bad-luck-bad-racing

Makes you proud to be British, what a way to round off PyeongChang 2018!

Billy Morgan pushed home in shopping trolley after celebrating bronze medal

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/25/billy-morgan-shopping-trolley-winter-olympics?CMP=share_btn_tw

DWybJoUXkAAzlqu.jpg

Edited by Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

DWybJoUXkAAzlqu.jpg

Yes,  but ....

As it turned out, that unexpected delight made the difference between achieving Team GB's minimum medal target and just feeling like a huge waste of opportunities. Serious reallocation (and perhaps even overall reduction) of funding to come, I suspect.

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

DWybJoUXkAAzlqu.jpg

Better than getting drunk and stealing a Humvee to get back to the athlete's village. :blink: I honestly don't know what those three canucks were thinking. Glad they weren't allowed at the closing ceremony.

• 3 weeks later...