Athens gets a Nomination

I'm not surprised about it at all given the category it is in, even with the butchereing and tape delayed broadcast. In fact, has the Athens coverage on NBC won several sports Emmys already? I have seen the VHS copies of the Salt Lake City Opening Ceremony out on eBay numerous times that were given out to Emmy voters, and they are fiercly bidded on. By contrast, I have only seen ONE COPY of the Athens Opening Ceremony DVD on eBay. With the 4-DVD set from Victory Music out there, why go to that?
I'm not surprised about it at all given the category it is in, even with the butchereing and tape delayed broadcast. In fact, has the Athens coverage on NBC won several sports Emmys already? I have seen the VHS copies of the Salt Lake City Opening Ceremony out on eBay numerous times that were given out to Emmy voters, and they are fiercly bidded on. By contrast, I have only seen ONE COPY of the Athens Opening Ceremony DVD on eBay. With the 4-DVD set from Victory Music out there, why go to that?

I missed out on the SLC bid.  So I just bought directly from this Emmy voter in Hollywood.   It is the "world feed,"  and the Parade of Athletes is cut.

Semantic point: is it the Opening Ceremony itself that gets the nomination or the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony? If it's the former, then how can NBC claim any credit etc? If it's the latter, then how cany NBC claim any credit etc?  :D

And where's the 'comedy' come in? If it's the heated discussion about semi-nude Greek men replicating staturay with phalli abounding, maybe that's why it gets a comedy guernsey  :P

I think the SLC nomination won the Emmy if I am not mistaken....I liked NBC's broacast of SLC's Opening Ceremony....but as for Athens I don't know it was ok....but nothing great...pplus the ceremony itself was a little odd IMO....so lol
I have seen the VHS copies of the Salt Lake City Opening Ceremony out on eBay numerous times that were given out to Emmy voters, and they are fiercly bidded on.

I got a copy off eBay - but I only paid $6US for it - so I doubt there was that much fierce bidding.  That was just after the Emmy noms were announced though...

And yes, the whole athletes parade is gone, and I'll have to double check but I don't think there is any commentary.

Semantic point: is it the Opening Ceremony itself that gets the nomination or the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony? If it's the former, then how can NBC claim any credit etc? If it's the latter, then how cany NBC claim any credit etc?  :D

It's the subject matter itself - the content.  So, you not only have NBC as the primary outlet involved (and since they paid jillions of $$ for the rights, only naturally will squeeze every last post-facto honor with it), but you also have, as in SLC's case, the Mischer unit; (w/ Athens, Jack Morton Worldwide); and of course the IOC, the ultimate owner of the images.  

Like any award show, what's being honored is the 'content' -- its artistic merit as a 'special event.'  But it would be NBC (or whichever network) that would be the recipient of the award since they undertook the risk of paying for the rights to show either a unique thing of beauty or a thundering dud.  (NBC may have veto rights on some aspects of the show, but ultimately, so far, they cannot take credit as the main 'conceivers' or 'authors' of the artistic content.)

Addendum:  NBC (or whichever network in the world) could lay 'claim to some additional credit' because they bring their own experience to bear in enhancing the ultimate dissemination of the show as a television broadcast showcase.  There would be an art to that; as, say, opposed to just  having 3 cameras show the thing from stationary positions.

I actually bidded for the SLC Opening Ceremony video this past week before we started talking about Athens' Opening Ceremony Emmy nod. This was before I found out here that the video lacks the Parade Of Nations, which means I won't relive the sight of Steve Young as a SLC volunteer holding the Great Britain sign during it. It's just as well--I got outbid.

Hopefully by Beijing (or Turin) we'll see an extended SLC Winter Olympic DVD set.

Archived