England 2030

CWells2000

Some Very Interesting news coming out of The FA in England. Looks like the FA is going to be bidding for the 2030 world cup. We have also got the backing of Germany (The DFB) and even UEFA are keen as well.

Here is the Daily Mirror and Sun Articles:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-set-bid-world-cup-11762276

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4901830/england-amazingly-backed-by-germany-in-world-cup-2030-bid/

Ideal Locations for Stadiums: Would Probably be 15 shortlisted 

1. Wembley - London - 90,000

2. Old Trafford - Manchester - 75,643 (Possible Future expansion to 88,000)

3 .Bramley Moor Dock Stadium -  Liverpool - 61,878 

4. Tottenham New Stadium - London - 61,559

5. Emirates Stadium - London - 60,432

6. Ethiad Stadium - Manchester - 55,097 (Possible Future expansion to 61,000)

7. Anfield - Liverpool - 54,074 (Possible Future expansion to 58,000-60,000)

8. St James Park - Newcastle - 52,404

9. Stadium Of Light - Sunderland - 48,707

10. Villa Park - Birmingham - 42,655 

11. Hillsborough - Sheffield - 39,732

12. Elland Road - Leeds - 37,890 

13. Stadium:mk - Milton Keynes - 30,582 (Expansion to 44,000)

14. King Power Stadium - Leicester - 32,312 (Expansion to 42,000)

15. Bramall Lane - Sheffield - 32,609 (Expansion to 38,000-40,000)

Do you think this is an interesting development?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nacre said:

If FIFA accepts a bid from the USA, Canada and Mexico then the UK should be able to bid with England, Scotland and Wales. If I were PM of the United (for now) Kingdom, I would throw my body in front of an England-only bid.

I think we could get Scotland and Wales involved in the world cup as well especially considering they have a lot of the stadiums and the training facilties required. I do think we could get stadiums like Murrayfield,Ibrox,Celtic Park,Millennium Stadium involved. I see england though however bidding solely.

12 hours ago, Nacre said:

If FIFA accepts a bid from the USA, Canada and Mexico then the UK should be able to bid with England, Scotland and Wales. If I were PM of the United (for now) Kingdom, I would throw my body in front of an England-only bid.

If anything you've got this backwards. Nobody would have a problem with an England only bid, it is what everyone is expecting. But involving Scotland/Wales/NI could dredge up some of the same arguments and debates had when a Team GB football team was put together for London 2012. Not that I'd necessarily be against a UK-wide bid if FIFA is preferring joint hosts, but I don't know what the stance of the Scottish FA in particular would be. They might be wary of Scottish football being advertised globally under a UK-wide banner, as was the case with 2012 when they refused to get involved with Team GB. If that's the case, we might as well just go for an England only bid as planned.

14 hours ago, CWells2000 said:

Some Very Interesting news coming out of The FA in England. Looks like the FA is going to be bidding for the 2030 world cup. We have also got the backing of Germany (The DFB) and even UEFA are keen as well.

Here is the Daily Mirror and Sun Articles:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-set-bid-world-cup-11762276

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4901830/england-amazingly-backed-by-germany-in-world-cup-2030-bid/

RE: the Mirror story (not going to click on a S*n link ta v much), it's really nauseating to see the FA beating themselves up over 2018 when actually, our bid was pretty good and the truth is the 2018/22 process was mired in Blatter's FIFA's corruption. Really, let's not look backwards or rewrite history to placate FIFA. If we're going to bid for 2030, nothing needs to be said about 2018. It's FIFA that needs to prove it's changed before we bid, not the other way around.

14 hours ago, CWells2000 said:

Ideal Locations for Stadiums: Would Probably be 15 shortlisted 

Bramley Moor Dock Stadium -  Liverpool - 61,878 ..

You're not an Everton fan are you? :lol: That proposed capacity for BMD (61878) is one Evertonians are bandying about because it includes the year of the club's foundation. It's probable the capacity of their new stadium will be c60k but we won't know for sure until they release the plans (hopefully in the new year).

Edited by Rob.

If USA Canada & Mexico are listed separately then the UK's nations will be. It won't be branded as a UK world cup because we are separate nations* - & if that is FIFA's new approach we'd be mad not to embrace it. The facilities already available in Glasgow, Edinburgh & Cardiff are a huge asset to a potential bid - & a proper national stadium for NI would be justified if they keep up this winning thing. If anything I'd go the whole hog & try to get the Republic of Ireland involved too, they'd be a big boost to it. 

*plus proper nation listing would be guaranteed by the ROI being in there. So it's not just UK. 

46 minutes ago, yoshi said:

If USA Canada & Mexico are listed separately then the UK's nations will be.

My feeling is this won't be the case. Multi-nation bids are clumsy from a marketing pov. The US/Can/Mex bid actually recognises this so is currently calling itself "United 2026" which just sounds like an airliner (and lo and behold the top result in Google is for an airliner of that name). I can't see that name sticking should "United 2026" win the right to host as everyone expects. So I suspect FIFA will drop the locations from the name of the tournaments if multi-national bids are to become the norm and simply market them as e.g. "FIFA World Cup 2026".

In the UK's case, of course, a multi-nation bid will be referred to by all and sundry as the UK's World Cup, even if that isn't what FIFA calls it. And after seeing the debates around the Team GB football team in 2012 I'm not convinced the Scottish FA would want in. Of course, the possibility of automatic qualification would be a huge incentive, but I still don't know if it'd be that simple. These things never are!

I think ultimately it'll depend on what noises are coming from FIFA. If they are dead-set on multi-nation bids being the way forward trying to get a UK bid together might be worth it. But given that England is capable of hosting a world cup alone, it might prove to be easier to go it alone. And that's what most are expecting anyway so it shouldn't cause any issues.

Edited by Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

In the UK's case, of course, a multi-nation bid will be referred to by all and sundry as the UK's World Cup, even if that isn't what FIFA calls it. And after seeing the debates around the Team GB football team in 2012 I'm not convinced the Scottish FA would want in. Of course, the possibility of automatic qualification would be a huge incentive, but I still don't know if it'd be that simple. These things never are!

Wasn't this because the Scottish FA is afraid for the independence of their national team? Surely a separate Scottish team at a pan-British World Cup wouldn't be threatening.

I think the problems in 2012 were due to the fact there had to be an actual GB team playing in the event as GB - forced by the IOC who see us as one nation. That couldn't happen at a World Cup, no matter where it is because to FIFA, there is no such thing as the UK - only the 4 nations. The only thing Scotland might get upset at is that media everywhere would call it the UK World Cup, because it's a lot simpler. Scotland, Wales, & NI would all play separately - what's more, they could all play at home. Who wouldn't want a home World Cup?

• 7 months later...

Football Association preparing bid to host 2030 World Cup

The Football Association is preparing a bid to host the 2030 World Cup, it has been announced.

The governing body's board has agreed to conduct "feasibility work" on a potential bid.

If the bid is successful, 2030 would be the first World Cup in England for 64 years and the first major tournament for 34 years (the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020 are at Wembley).

One option is for a joint bid with the other home nations.

The UK government has said it would support a joint bid led by England.

Any bid would need to secure the nomination of UEFA and the support of a majority of FIFA's 211 member nations.

A final decision on whether to bid will be made next year.

"Last month the English FA board agreed to conduct feasibility work into the possibility of putting itself forward to be UEFA's potential candidate to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup," said FA chairman Greg Clarke.

"This work will take place during the new season and no decision will be made until 2019."

https://news.sky.com/story/football-association-preparing-bid-to-host-2030-world-cup-11456539

Edited by Rob.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It should look and sound as good as it does given the money that's reported to have been spent on it.

Maybe it's just me but I really can't get very excited about the idea of another English World Cup bid at this stage. Partly that's because of the 2018 process and a lack of trust in FIFA that I think you'll find still exists for many English football fans. But it's also because of a feeling that actually we could offer a better package with a British bid.

It’s a great looking ground, fair play. Better than ours (but then, you are 10 years after, spent nearly £1b on it, & needed to build it to NFL levels, so it should be). Particularly love that south end, the uniform unbroken tiers are the big problem with Emirates (& Wembley) when it comes to getting some noise up. Congrats on that amazing game last night too - North London Derby for the Super Cup? ;)

• 1 month later...

As a Scot would be great to get a world cup bid like this together and would have good chance of success. Need the fa and SFA etc around the table. UK bid great but feel trying to add Ireland not such a good idea and feel having too many hosts could weaken bid anyway as too many would be already qualified then as hosts. FIFA seems happy with 3way bids now,so nice as Aviva stadium is don't think there is any need to have joint bid with ROI. NI as part of UK would be nice to include but no stadiums suitable as usually to be over 30-40000 capacity minimum.

A three way bid England Scotland Wales all on one island could be very successful. No requirement for fans to ferry etc to Ireland then as FIFA supposed to also consider things like travel links etc required for fans getting to venues.

Not too many in one city either,know from Scotland's failed euro 2008 bid the preference with these things is not too many in one city,in euro 2016 Paris got away with 2, (a world cup is obviously slightly different), think 2-3 in London max, probably 3-definitely Wembley and maybe another 2 probably including quite iconic former Olympic stadium that's now west hams and any one other of London's, probably just 2 in Glasgow-Hampden as national stadium (52000) and Celtic park as biggest (60800). Scotland could also supply murrayfield at capacity of 67000 in Edinburgh-Murrayfield is biggest stadium in Scotland and has hosted plenty big football matches successfully (Liverpool playing Napoli there this summer) and it also has decent transport links now with it's own stop on the new Edinburgh tram network which links to several railway stations and Edinburgh airport also.

Obviously Wembley for the World Cup Final, Semi Finals require 60000 capacity minimum,I'd envision Old Trafford for one and the other possibly in either Cardiff or my preference Scotland (since Scotland second biggest contributor of stadiums host!) and both of either Celtic park or Murrayfield are big enough for one semi final in Scotland-(hampden is not). . So Hampden (52000), Murrayfield (67000), Celtic park (60000), obviously Wales the millennium stadium (74500), and the rest in England such as Wembley,Olympic Stadium,1 other London,Old Trafford,Anfield,Villa Park,St James Park, Stadium of Light.

Obviously England the largest of 3 hosts and as biggest partner would deserve opening ceremony and final to be at Wembley,in fact only Wembley big enough for final anyway, although if FIFA insisted on opening ceremony being in another host nation them Hampden or Millennium stadium for opening ceremony and Wembley for Final-but Wembley for both would make most sense really if allowed. Finally consider both 2030 and 2034 as Uruguay etc joint bid might for 2030 might carry weight that year to mark 100 year anniversary of first world cup in Uruguay in 1930. If looking that way then 2034 maybe for UK. Either way long way away!

Also some infrastructure improvements to go with it,like finish the dualling of A1 all the way for example as it links Edinburgh venue to Newcastle venue etc. Sure there are plenty similar infrastructure improvements that could be really useful across England and Wales too that would also help with the bid.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...