Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

____

On 8/1/2022 at 10:48 AM, yoshi said:

... (Also @Alexjc New Zealand are doing extremely well... what's come over them this games? If only those Aussies hadn't taken 26, there's probably gonna be a groundswell of support for a Kiwi bid now. At least I hope so :) )

Nobody was interested in 2026...(or picking up 2022 for that matter)... This current govt simply paid it no mind as the only two real contenders, Auckland and Christchurch were/are in the middle of a massive infrastructure building program not really ready for a '26 Games...Also mentioned elsewhere, Christchurch has only just started construction of Te Kaha Stadium after a decade and a half of arguing.

New Zealand does have a limited budget, only 5 million taxpayers. The closest we'll get to hosting the CWGs is 2034 as Hamilton, Ont. is putting in a firm bid for '30 and looks likely to succeed.

As for the current 2022 CWGs NZ team...:). Fourth on the overall medals table and third on the Gold table for now, but naturally will drop when the premium events start...Track and Field. 

Edited by Alexjc

Havn't heard the medal ceremony music, any good? 

Not a fan of the podium or the medal ceremony outfits.

Still the best was glasgow with the guys in the tartan kilts and the women wearing those tartan dresses

Looking like a really epic battle for the Ashes over the weekend - and where's this Jamaica netball team been all these years?! I saw some people saying beating Australia was luck, but annihilating New Zealand sure isn't - wow. 

24 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Looking like a really epic battle for the Ashes over the weekend - and where's this Jamaica netball team been all these years?! I saw some people saying beating Australia was luck, but annihilating New Zealand sure isn't - wow. 

Jamaica as well as England have been improving for a few years now. Australia and New Zealand have become complement and must realise that they are now not untouchable.

New Zealand has an attitude when it comes to netball and rugby that they will win every game and if they do not then it is an insult to them. They do not realise that other teams are playing better, and thus if they do not change their approach then they will continue to loose more and more.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yoshi said:

The professionalism of SSN has helped them incredibly. With the strong amount of foreign players, they are taking the learnings from the league back home and its showing at international tournaments. This is great for world netball that the old firm are being challenged

It's not a sport I really see much outside the Commonwealth Games, but yeah it'd be really good to see someone else win - if England beat Australia later (maybe with less terror than last time!) it'll be like a no lose final :)

Oh well, so much for beating Australia :ph34r:. Even I could see that Bueta was playing a different game there. Amazing run from that Aussie in the 1500 final earlier :). 

Edited by yoshi

On 8/7/2022 at 4:11 AM, yoshi said:

Oh well, so much for beating Australia :ph34r:. Even I could see that Bueta was playing a different game there. Amazing run from that Aussie in the 1500 final earlier :). 

NZ beat England for the Bronze in a team sports double - Cricket and Netball!;)

(I'm going to do my Team New Zealand report card at the end)

Edited by Alexjc

Lol we're just trying to give you more medals in the hope you're convinced to put a bid in :lol:. Cricket gold medal match one of the most bizarre T20s you'll see - 18 wickets including a complete disintegration by India...I think Australia have a force field around them to stop them ever being beaten...

As good as it gets for Australia, Ashes victory on English soil, 67-57. Scotland finish on 13 golds, Wales 8, Northern Ireland 7 (missed out on top 10 when Malaysia won the last gold of the Games!). Special mention to Guernsey, a silver and a bronze getting them on the table. Congrats to NZ for their best ever result (2030/34? Please?), and at the bottom for Niue - their first ever medal. Nothing for Jersey or IOM this time (what happened to Mark Cavendish?). And a big gold for Birmingham - I thought it'd be good and give Brum a little boost, but even on TV it feels like it's gone way beyond that - it feels like a lot of perceptions have been changed. If Birmingham does decide to pursue the Olympics, I don't think it'll be seen as a joke now. Looking forward to going down there to see the bull now it's staying for a while...good luck Victoria, a new kind of Games. I just hope you a) don't hold the ceremonies at the G, it defeats the whole bid, b) find different ceremonies people to Gold Coast (closing at least), and c) maybe let us win at least half of your medal count? Maybe? Not asking much :P

Edited by yoshi

New Zealand's best ever GOLD medal haul at the CWGs and second only to Auckland in total medal haul. Fifth on the Gold  table, Sixth overall. 

New Zealand always seems quite at home in England.

A great effort from a post pandemic cobbled together depleted team with some surprising results from sports that were not expecting the larger haul they took. The stand out events clearly were the Cycling in all forms, Track and Field, Swimming and Squash. The barely get a mention sports threw up some surprises which allows them to gain access to funding. Great to see some "oh so close" moments from determined athletes as well...Beach Volleyball coming to mind, and great to see the girls say they'll wear what they like on the day after some Woke issues about the size of the "minimum" bikini requirements. During the day they flipped the bird to the complainers and wore the smallest they were allowed to, and evening sessions, tight leggings. 

The pandemic saw some sports have a "quiet" games, Weightlifting, Boxing, Judo, all at least getting some minor medals.

Track and Field saw great results when it came to jumping/vaulting over bars (those long legged "Supermodels" in their barely there "underwear" clearly a reason why that section of the stadium was packed out), and biffing cannonballs. 

There were also frustrating disappointments, from the Team sports... Hockey, both teams, crashed out completely,  Rugby Sevens, although Bronze in both, were expected to at least Silver. Cricket T20 were lucky to get Bronze. Bowls, were expecting more and disappointed at their haul. Triathlon, I'm gonna say it - the Mix Team would've medalled if it was not for one hanger-on athlete who is well past her use-by date and should be a coach.

But redemption for the Netball in getting on the podium with Bronze, clearly showing just how much work is still needed now that Jamaica has come of age. 

As for the Host city...Thank you Birmingham for showing the way forward for a city hosting. I hope the mechanical Bull finds a home under cover as a keep-sake for stepping up and SAVING the games. Handing over to Victoria Region who will show another concept in hosting these minor albeit fun multisport events clearly has shown the way for New Zealand to finally step up and put in a serious bid for 2034.

Edited by Alexjc
  • Like 1

Agree.   There was so little hype in the lead up but they've been a brilliant games, no doubt helped by being the first big multi-sport event with crowds back and although it's been nowhere near the TV audiences of a decade ago the ratings have actually been really strong considering where TV ratings are now, generally above the slot averages for the BBC.

You can tell how good it's been by me not feeling the need to comment here.   Means I have virtually nothing to moan about.   The Opening Ceremony was pretty decent too - clearly London inspired without the London budget, as indeed the opening of the closing ceremony has been, but all the better for it.

• Like 1

Because of other commitments, I haven't been as in tune with these Commonwealth Games as I was with the wonderful spectacle that I enjoyed in Glasgow eight years ago. Yet, from everything I have seen of them, my sense is that Birmingham, for the most part, has delivered more than the CGF could ever have hoped to believe that it would when it stepped into the breach created by Durban's exit. There are always issues and problems, of course. The rail strikes won't have helped and questions should, rightly, be asked about why a league football match at Coventry (the venue of the rugby sevens) had to be postponed at short notice yesterday because of an apparently unsafe pitch. But the issues that matter now are what happens next for Birmingham and the wider region. Unlike the West Midlands Mayor, at least based on the comments he made on the BBC News tonight, I don't see the past 11 days as the starting point for a future Olympic bid from Birmingham (at least not yet). But it could herald a long chapter of legacy events if the right level of event is targeted. Something like the 2026 European Athletics Championships, for which a bid is already in place, seems like a very good step beyond these games to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arwebb said:

Because of other commitments, I haven't been as in tune with these Commonwealth Games as I was with the wonderful spectacle that I enjoyed in Glasgow eight years ago. Yet, from everything I have seen of them, my sense is that Birmingham, for the most part, has delivered more than the CGF could ever have hoped to believe that it would when it stepped into the breach created by Durban's exit. There are always issues and problems, of course. The rail strikes won't have helped and questions should, rightly, be asked about why a league football match at Coventry (the venue of the rugby sevens) had to be postponed at short notice yesterday because of an apparently unsafe pitch. But the issues that matter now are what happens next for Birmingham and the wider region. Unlike the West Midlands Mayor, at least based on the comments he made on the BBC News tonight, I don't see the past 11 days as the starting point for a future Olympic bid from Birmingham (at least not yet). But it could herald a long chapter of legacy events if the right level of event is targeted. Something like the 2026 European Athletics Championships, for which a bid is already in place, seems like a very good step beyond these games to me.

Legacy is what it's all about. It's interesting you bring this up...

A classic is Christchurch 1974 and the hosting of Pacific regional sports events that got really good coverage for about a decade after. It's still an iconic thing here in NZ...Yet Auckland has been totally forgotten as no attempt was made by that city to cash in on a legacy.

• Like 1

I will go on the record and say this has been one of the best Commonwealth Games' ever. Birmingham delivered and made the Commonwealth Games special again. We now have lots of momentum going into Vic26. The legacy from these games is going to be massive for Birmingham and the West Midlands. The major international events that will come to Birmingham and the wider region will be terrific for the region. Eurovision and the European Athletics Championships look likely to come to Birmingham. I would like to see the European Games also be staged in Birmingham- every edition has been an Eastern city so it is ready for a Western city for 2025 or 2029. The Olympics are the big dangling carrot. We saw it with the Gold Coast paving an inspiration for Queensland to bid for the 2032 Olympics and I think this will provide an inspiration for Birmingham to play a major role in an Olympic Bid. I don't think they will be able to go at it alone but for sure could co-host with the likes of Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield for a multi city Olympic bid. Will 2036 be too soon after London? Possibly? But for sure Birmingham would put on a terrific Games yet again.

On 8/9/2022 at 4:32 AM, Alexjc said:

Legacy is what it's all about. It's interesting you bring this up...

A classic is Christchurch 1974 and the hosting of Pacific regional sports events that got really good coverage for about a decade after. It's still an iconic thing here in NZ...Yet Auckland has been totally forgotten as no attempt was made by that city to cash in on a legacy.

It seems to me that, while legacy is often talked about in quite an abstract way, the most obvious way of securing legacy from an event like the Commonwealth Games is that more events follow it and the facilities that were built for the original event are used and used well. Pre-Covid, your observation about Christchurch would certainly have been applicable to Glasgow and it has the potential to apply to Birmingham too if they play it right. The desire to top what's gone before is understandable, but it's not always the right path to take and I think this is one of those moments.