Sign in to follow this  
Rob.

Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

I wonder if they’ll replace the logo or keep the splodged one they’ve currently got? 

Ah, shame there’s no actual pictures of it in there. I’d imagine it’d be unveiled on July 27 then, if they’ve got trademark etc sorted. 

Finally we're getting an official and proper logo to call our own!
I'm from Birmingham myself so I'm curious to see what my city's people will think of it once they unveil it!

Plans showcasing the emerging design for the redevelopment of Alexander Stadium have been published, as public consultation begins.

The venue at Walsall Road, Perry Barr, will be the focal point of the 2022 Commonwealth Games, hosting the Opening and Closing Ceremonies as well as the athletics programme.

New artist impressions of the stadium have been released revealing Birmingham City Council’s intentions to create a legacy asset the city and its residents can be truly proud of.

The redeveloped stadium will increase its permanent seating capacity from 12,700 to 18,000 allowing up to 40,000 during the Games through additional temporary seating.

Key features include:

• A new western stand replacing the Main, Knowles and Nelson stands
  • New tiered seating to the north and south
  • A new 400m 6-lane warm up track and re-laying of a new IAAF Category 1 track (400m 9-lane competition standard track)
  • Improved public realm and parking provision, with additional landscaping and signage
  • Installation of new stadium lighting and practice throwing field
  • A new access road from A453 Aldridge Road (to be used for event/maintenance use only)

D9mcE6GWkAAMYcB?format=jpg&name=large

D9mcF3qWkAAb0QD?format=jpg&name=large

D9mcGEXW4AE897B?format=jpg&name=900x900

D9mcGMTX4AEMph0?format=jpg&name=large

Called it! ;) Looks unusual & a bit London 2012 on that page - will be interesting to see for sure. 

Hold on, is that the actual logo? I assumed it was a kind of teaser for the look or part of the logo (like the shards from 2012). 

Love how nobody on that Twitter feed (which has pictures of several similar installations across the WM) has twigged that the design is the same as the background of the Games website holding page :lol:

52 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Hold on, is that the actual logo? I assumed it was a kind of teaser for the look or part of the logo (like the shards from 2012). 

not sure whether it is the logo or an element/elements of it? the main bit seems to represent the letter B?

Yikes. They’re going to try to get the 80’s/90’s audience again with this design aren’t they :P

It looks like green is the main colour for at least the initial logo (a little ironic for a city not exactly famed for its greenery :P) but if that shape is the full logo, I’m struggling to figure out what it represents - if it was only the two triangles, it’d be a B but with 3, I’m not sure...

Now it’s appeared in West Brom & Stourbridge, with added transparency. The London 2012 parallels grow...

I must say, it’s quite a nice shape, regardless of whether it’s meant to ‘be’ anything. I also can’t imagine Birmingham Updates aren’t in on the whole thing & acting in their posts - good harmless fun though, & it’s getting awareness up :)

As a Brummie myself, I'm so excited for tomorrow and this fresh new logo and brand for the Games!

Also today saw a quiet rebrand of the Commonwealth Games Federation and its brand. With a new look for the three triangle symbol. Expect to see this in the new Brum 2022 logo.

latest?cb=20190726142844

And also a new name!

latest?cb=20190726143719

They finally got rid of the hideous thing! Whatever else is in the design, Brum already has a better logo than the previous few Games :lol: The new logo is nice, much better looking while still recognisable. Hopefully the rest of what’s above it will be just as good :)

Not bad, looks very modern enough and it still retains the main elements of the former CWG symbol. I wonder how they'll blend it on Brum logo.

So far it seems they want to try something innovating like London did. Have a feel it will have some controversy/criticism but if they combine it with a good brand/look like London did we might be in safe hands.

Well, it’s out. The shape is the logo, & appears to represent a map of the West Midlands, hence the third triangle. Must admit, I’m not too keen on how the font looks awkwardly put on top of the logo. Also surprised how invisible the new CGF thing is, you’d think they’d have made a bigger deal of the new logo now it’s not awful :)

• Like 1

Enormous improvement on the Jackson Pollock bid logo.

Can see this working very nicely, well done Birmingham.

If this was released in 2007 it would had caused controversy, but people are actually liking it. London logo was definitely way too ahead of its time.