Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

Rob2012

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah, i'm sure Nigeria, Pakistan, Gambia, Malaysia (which banned Lightyear because of the same sex kiss scene) are surely going to react very well to this.

Saw some pictures of the baton welcome yesterday, they've certainly done up the city centre even since June when I went there. Would've gone again since if it hadn't been either too hot, too wet, or too close to a train strike. It is good to see Birmingham - the actual second city remember - start shouting about itself a bit, ok it might not be the most immediately beautiful place like a Bath or Edinburgh but I've often thought it's an underrated city so hopefully this will do for Brum what 2002 did for Manchester. 

(For anyone local - I noticed in those pictures they seem to have painted some huge artwork across almost all of Victoria Square. Are parts of the opening ceremony happening there, like the handover?)

1 hour ago, RooBlu said:

To the people and Games Bids forumers from Birmingham, we know that your organisers have done a fantastic job preparing. Now just enjoy what we are all confident will be one of, if not the best Commonwealth Games ever. All the very best. :) :) :)

Yes, looking like it'll be a great Commonwealth Games. Shattered that I am not there but sure Birmingham will light up and shine!!!! 

Anyone know when the ceremony actually starts? I know the BBC 1 coverage is from 7 but I'm expecting quite a lot of blabbering before the bits we're actually watching for. I assume 8:22?

(Also is it worth having a live chat thread or will this do)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

Anyone know when the ceremony actually starts? I know the BBC 1 coverage is from 7 but I'm expecting quite a lot of blabbering before the bits we're actually watching for. I assume 8:22?

(Also is it worth having a live chat thread or will this do)

5am I’ve been told 

Not much about the sport here, there's just been an almighty crash in the cycling - at least one rider has gone clean into the crowd. So big they haven't shown replays yet. Competition delayed and the BBC red button coverage has cut to rugby. 

8 hours ago, yoshi said:

Not much about the sport here, there's just been an almighty crash in the cycling - at least one rider has gone clean into the crowd. So big they haven't shown replays yet. Competition delayed and the BBC red button coverage has cut to rugby. 

Lots of sore bodies but all good. 

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How come the Womens Euro tournament is being hosted in England clashing with the Commonwealth Games? I thought there is CGF protocols that prevent other major sporting events taking place during the Games. 

Let me tell you about this little thing called covid that meant loads of sports events are being hosted a year later than planned.

• Like 1

I don't really know why they didn't have the Euros in June. In good news, looks like everyone involved in the crash is alright :)

(Also @Alexjc New Zealand are doing extremely well... what's come over them this games? If only those Aussies hadn't taken 26, there's probably gonna be a groundswell of support for a Kiwi bid now. At least I hope so :) )

• Like 2