Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

Rob2012

Ah good... better get a shift on though :ph34r: Looking forward to these Games, I think it'll will be a really good place for them that can really benefit from the games - I like Birmingham, and this should give it the chance to shout a little bit, hopefully that shot of confidence Manchester got in 2002. I haven't been able to get down there since before the pandemic, I'm hoping to go once the train timetable change happens and it's back to full service - the building works going on there in 2019 should be done now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They really should've had BMX in the Games, especially after how great it was at the Olympics. I'm sure a top class track/park somewhere in Birmingham would've got loads of legacy use too. Missed opportunity. 

Edited by yoshi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

With the clip/loop thing it looks like a bottle opener......it looks too 'cheap' to be an award for sporting excellence! More like a participation medal for completing a fun run.

I do agree with you there... it reminds me of one of those party bag medals you get form a 2 dollar store.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Yes, they can play a bloopers tape of all the minorities in the Commonwealth he offended. Might be a long ceremony.

How disrespectful and rude of you. Show some respect.

He was a President of the Commonwealth Games and has opened more Commonwealth Games' than any other person. He deserves to be honoured for the role he played in the Commonwealth Games.

I also hope there is a nod to the Queen's Platinum Jubilee as well.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This isn't directly related but the more coverage this gets, the more it feels like a kind of rehearsal for what to expect from the ceremonies in Brum...I wasn't going to bother with watching it but looks much more sports ceremony than the military procession I thought it was gonna be - plus Cirque Bijou are apparently involved*

https://t.co/31Etz6e8jo

*Saw them in Bristol once, they're amazing

Well I did give it a go in the end, as a form of public service to the forum...the military and celebrity buses were a bit interminable (was Chris Eubank even born in the 50s?!), but the informal carnival bit was very good - if Birmingham is similar, we should have the best Commie ceremonies since 2010, and certainly better than the disastrous attempt to use the river 10 years ago. The section from Coventry with a giant Lady Godiva* was particularly good, and should definitely get a run out next month:

A324UDGMENPERKILNASBUCQQTY.jpg

*I don't know how well known the Lady Godiva story is in the rest of the world, so I'll drop this in to explain why she really must appear in any ceremony worth its salt that's meant to be about the Midlands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Godiva