Athan

Beijing 2022 emblems

Here's the pair. Designed by Brian Bland of Bland Designs Ltd from Blandsville, Blandland

DRF1tB7U8AAlTGY.jpgDRF1uzZVQAAJQYy.jpg

Edited by Rob.

Looks like someone's taken a knife to the London 2012 logo - & not been too discriminate about where they cut. 

I expected more from China, tbh. This is not terrible, but nothing special either. What is the meaning of the logo anyway?

Maybe i am so attached to the 2008 'Dancing Beijing' logo this really doesnt strikes anything. The text font isnt bad though. Seems like a mix of chinese calligraphy with some ice/winter touches

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201712/15/WS5a33c5cca3108bc8c6734f33.html

5a33c5cca3108bc89ad9eef7.jpeg

Amid cheers and applause at the National Aquatics Center, Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli, Yu Zaiqing, a vice-president of IOC and Zhang Hong, China's Olympic speed skating champion, unveiled the emblem for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games at 20:22, presenting the most anticipated Beijing 2022 logo to the world at the iconic 2008 Summer Olympics venue.

The emblem, called "Winter Dream", features a variant illustration of the Chinese character for winter, dong (冬), that resembles images of skating and skiing athletes rendered by flowing curves symbolizing mountain ranges and snow courses. Below the pattern are the words "BEIJING 2022" written in traditional Chinese calligraphy.

The emblem was designed by a group led by Lin Cunzhen, an associate professor at China Central Academy of Fine Arts, and was selected from 4,506 entries contributed by designers from home and abroad.

"The emblem offers a unique integration of profound Chinese culture, international style and characteristics of winter sports," said Cai Qi, president of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Games. "It illustrates the ardent expectations of 1.3 billion Chinese people for the winter sports gala."

The emblem for the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Winter Games was unveiled later by Vice-Premier Liu Yandong, Cai and Zhang Qiang, China's Paralympic curling player.

Inspired by Chinese character fei, which means “to fly”, the design embodies the strong determination of para-athletes to conquer physical impairments for athletic excellence.

IOC President Thomas Bach, who sent a video message to celebrate the moment, gave high remarks to the new emblems.

"The unveiling of the emblem is a milestone on the exciting journey for China and the entire Olympic Family. This emblem is the symbol of ambitions and dreams. It will build the excitement and anticipation in China and around the world for our shared expectations for the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022," Bach said in the message.

A worldwide contest for emblem designs was launched July 31, 2016 to mark the one-year anniversary of the Chinese capital winning the rights to host the Games. After that historic moment, Beijing is poised to become the first city in the world to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics.

The Beijing 2022 organizing committee, as copyright holder of the logos, will soon launch its official merchandising program. Commemorative stamps with the emblems are scheduled to be released Dec 31 by China Post, and about 10 official merchandising outlets are expected to open in mid-January.

So, it's basically the winter version of Dancing Beijing. Both come from a chinese character and are redesigned to look like an athlete performing sports. Except I feel the execution here isn't as professional as 2008's. It feels more like a Winter Universiade logo than an Olympics, tbh.

Doesnt means its a terrible logo. Its okay-ish. But that's all. Still better than Sochi though.

It kind of looks fan made if I'm being honest. The look of the games is pretty obvious at this point - angular designs using the colors of the logos. 

Funny enough, so far the earlier looks we often see alongside the logos when they are released often dont make it to the final cut. 

Sochi had those weird blue floating triangles before moving to the russian patterns quilt. Pyeongchang seemed like they were going to integrate the lines which make the logo into the look but instead they went for a hangul themed look.

Message from Thomas Bach regarding the unveil of the logos. Also some bits of the unveiling ceremony done at the Water Cube.

So, the text font is actually based on chinese Papercut, which seems to be a popular folk art at Zhangjiakou (one of the host sites)

Full lenght video of the Olympic Emblem

Full length video of the Paralympic Emblem 

Also, its the same designer who did the Bid logo (and curiously enough, the Nanjing 2014 YOG one as well)

The logos are called Winter Dream and Flying High, respectively.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-12/15/c_136829274.htm

BEIJING, Dec. 15 (Xinhua) -- Named "Winter Dream" and "Flying High," the emblems of the 2022 Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games have again left a Chinese mark in the history of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, following Beijing 2008 and Nanjing 2014.

The two emblems were officially launched in the National Aquatics Center, known as the "Water Cube," on Friday.

Lin Cunzhen, deputy dean of China Central Academy of Fine Arts' Design School, is the designer of the two emblems.

She is a designer already closely tied with the Olympics, having also designed the emblem of the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games.

"After I knew my design finally got approved, my first feeling was of total relief. We've finally made it, and I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I'm really excited," said Lin, who has worked on these emblems for a year.

"I would say that every time we made changes, we did research, made revision and went with the best things. I learned quite a lot during this process," she said.

In 2014, Lin's design was adopted as the Beijing 2022 bid emblem. Now, her designs have again been selected as the final emblems of the 2022 Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

With its origin in the Chinese character "dong" (winter), the Olympic emblem integrates the spirit of Chinese calligraphy and eastern cultural heritage with a modern, global style.

It represents a new image of and dream for China. It also expresses China's vision and determination to host "a fantastic, extraordinary and excellent" Winter Olympics and Paralympics, and to encourage 300 million people in the country to participate in winter sports. At the top of the emblem is a skater rushing forward, while at the bottom is a skier. The dynamic lines in the middle represent the mountains and trails in the snow seen during winter sports, and the silk ribbons which are often used when Chinese people celebrate the Lunar New Year, which will overlap with Beijing 2022.

The Paralympic emblem, featuring an athlete-centered concept, also combines Chinese calligraphy and Paralympic winter sports. Oriented around the Chinese character "fei" (flight), the emblem is an abstract image of an athlete who is fighting for victory, highlighting the spirit of and inspiration for the Paralympic Winter Games.

"The Olympic emblem was initially drawn on the idea of the Chinese character 'dong' (winter) in the bid emblem, with the character rendered in Chinese calligraphy representing Chinese culture. Meanwhile, a pattern combining ice-sports and snow-sports was used to represent the Olympic Games," Lin said.

"The design was guided by the athlete-centered concept of the Games. The questions we had to ask ourselves were these: How to make it different from the bid emblem and how to showcase the athlete-centered concept? Those required a lot of research. As the Winter Games have both ice sports and snow sports, the emblem has to be an abstract expression of both."

Last December, after rounds of selection, Lin's design, No. 801 in the system used by the emblem review committee, emerged from a total of 4,506 designs submitted from all over the world.

But the joy of triumph was soon displaced by the need to undertake intensive revision work. Lin said she and a group from the China Central Academy of Fine Arts had made the revisions repeatedly from January to November, and there were occasions when she was pushed onto the verge of collapse.

"When you have to restart over and over again, you turn numb to things like graphics," Lin said.

However, Lin did not give up. In a small office at China Central Academy of Fine Arts, she led her team to have in-depth discussions with experts. Together, they continuously readjusted their designs.

Lin worked like crazy for quite some time, according to her students. Lin said she was truly delighted to see every, incremental improvement of her designs.

"People always ask me where the inspiration comes from, but I think design needs to be down-to-earth. Sometimes inspiration occurs, but for most of the time, you have to revise your design little by little and make it closer to perfect," she said.

Compared with the design for "Winter Dream," the design of the emblem "Flying High" posed even greater challenges for Lin.

"How to make the two emblems related, but distinct? The emblem for the Paralympics should communicate the identity of the Paralympics. It took me a very long time to think it over," she recalled.

Lin said following the idea of designing the "Winter Dream" logo, she tried many times to look for a Chinese character that could be featured in the emblem "Flying High."

"We tried many characters, such as 'fei' (flight), 'meng' (dream), 'mei' (beauty) and 'xin' (heart). But when they were put together with 'dong,' people would read them together and have new interpretations. We tried to avoid that."

To find an idea, Lin began to watch videos and pictures of previous Paralympic Winter Games. Finally, she decided to use an abstract pattern instead of a character.

"The final version of the Paralympic emblem 'Flying High' comes from the Chinese character 'fei' (flight), but it changes into the character for sports as the emblem showcases both the inner strength and the fast speeds achieved by Paralympic athletes," said Lin.

Wow. The shop is packed for this early. There is a nice vase and a pin set of a map of the venues. I am not seeing an English translation, but if you are not shipping out side of China you don't really need to. They are taking Mastercard as well as Visa. Isn't that a No No?  Why do all of the sight not deliver outside of the host country. It is limits the sales? Not even after the Games?

It's very very similar to candidature logo so i didn't realize that logo been actully annouced, :P i thought they still using old one, but when i seen they been using logo everywhere in Pyongchang i realized that this is actual logo

7 minutes ago, Shadowriver said:

It's very very similar to candidature logo so i didn't realize that logo been actully annouced, :P i thought they still using old one, but when i seen they been using logo everywhere in Pyongchang i realized that this is actual logo

Well, the artist of the final logo was also the same person who designed the bid one. So it's understandable why it looks similar :P 

I like it though. After two weird/oversimplistic logos in 2018 and 2020 it's nice to see another complex one like Rio's. 

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

Well, the artist of the final logo was also the same person who designed the bid one. So it's understandable why it looks similar :P 

I like it though. After two weird/oversimplistic logos in 2018 and 2020 it's nice to see another complex one like Rio's. 

This is probably first case i seen :P And I absolutely agree, yea i forgot to mention that we finally getting some more colorful logo, i think London 2012 to even past logos to 2004 been more interesting then Pyongchang and Tokyo. I really love gradient logos and when they add some 3D elements to it, thats why Rio is my favorite Olympic logo so far, they hired really good company working on them (looking on there presentation videos), medals on other hand was meh :P