Sign in to follow this  
WD96

Should the Paralympic Closing Ceremonies include the British anthem

I know the Olympics does this tradition with the Greek anthem at their closing ceremonies to honor their birth place. But should the Paralympics same tradition with the British anthem?

Just now, WD96 said:

I know the Olympics does this tradition with the Greek anthem at their closing ceremonies to honor their birth place. But should the Paralympics same tradition with the British anthem?

*include the same tradition with the British anthem?

On 08/12/2017 at 2:32 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

NO. 

...and why not, exactly, given the Games' 'birth' at Stoke Mandeville?

24 minutes ago, mjb22 said:

...and why not, exactly, given the Games' 'birth' at Stoke Mandeville?

Good question.  Altho it was a Dutch doctor who started it all.  But why don't you ask or propose it to the IPC?? 

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Good question.  Altho it was a Dutch doctor who started it all.  But why don't you ask or propose it to the IPC?? 

That's "Dutch" as in "Pennsylvania Dutch" (i.e. Deutsch).

Can somebody come up with a good reason for them to play "My Country 'Tis of Thee" instead of the British national anthem?

No - it would be inappropriate. 

I even think the Greek national anthem is an overkill - play it once at the Opening of the Summer Games but forget it at the closing and don't do it at all at the Winter Games IMO. 

If they want to do it to recognise Stoke Mandeville's role it'd be a nice gesture, but I've no strong feelings either way.

I noticed at the opening ceremony of the 2018 Paralympics, there are four flagpoles. One of the flagpoles could have the Union Jack raised. Still, please take this with a grain of salt.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:28 AM, spiele said:

No - it would be inappropriate. 

I even think the Greek national anthem is an overkill - play it once at the Opening of the Summer Games but forget it at the closing and don't do it at all at the Winter Games IMO. 

Considering Chamonix, France is the actual birthplace of the Winter games, I always thought it was weird to have the Greek anthem at the WOG. And if we get a bit more detailed, the actual birthplace is either Sweden, where the precursor Nordic Games were held. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Games

10 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Considering Chamonix, France is the actual birthplace of the Winter games, I always thought it was weird to have the Greek anthem at the WOG. And if we get a bit more detailed, the actual birthplace is either Sweden, where the precursor Nordic Games were held. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Games

I agree. I do think that Greece deserves its recognition but I find when it becomes so regular and routine it loses its meaning. But thats the nature of the Olympics - highly protocol driven. 

I agree with the Greek anthem at the opening of the SOG, but that should be it. 

I've actually always thought it would be nice if the former hosts were recognised like the Commonwealth Games by marching first - perhaps the Winter Games could have done that (so South Korea would march first at Beijing 2022). 

21 hours ago, spiele said:

I agree. I do think that Greece deserves its recognition but I find when it becomes so regular and routine it loses its meaning. But thats the nature of the Olympics - highly protocol driven. 

I agree with the Greek anthem at the opening of the SOG, but that should be it. 

I've actually always thought it would be nice if the former hosts were recognised like the Commonwealth Games by marching first - perhaps the Winter Games could have done that (so South Korea would march first at Beijing 2022). 

I agree regards to appreciate and recognize the previous edition host nation.

Furthermore, in my opinion, they should end the tradition to light up the torch in Athens, Greece. Let do it in the host nation soil and perhaps it may cut the cost for host nation to bring everyone concern in the ceremony to Greece, at least the host nation team. 

5 hours ago, budse said:

Furthermore, in my opinion, they should end the tradition to light up the torch in Athens, Greece. Let do it in the host nation soil and perhaps it may cut the cost for host nation to bring everyone concern in the ceremony to Greece, at least the host nation team. 

Because it's a single event which is short enough to show on TV news, lighting the flame at Olympia is a very easy target for sponsorship (Toyota for PC18, I think). Security costs for Games spectators are a much more challenging issue :unsure:

On 3/11/2018 at 10:46 PM, spiele said:

my favorite instance of ridiculous olympic protocol was during london when bach spent 3x the time addressing "your majesty, your majesties, your royal highnesses" etc and then 2 seconds addressing the other 99.99999 percent of the planet as "ladies and gentlemen" although in his mind he was probably only addressing the jane austen gentry.

and you got to love the times when the french petulantly insist on putting their language before english.

like, guys....no.