Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WD96

Beijing 2022 Handover segment

Recommended Posts

Beijing 2008 mascot overkill is probably one of the reasons they've decided to keep it at just one for the Olympics and one for the Paralympics. In all honesty, it works far much better this way.

And yes, like I said before, PC2018 did a wonderful work with how they treated their mascot. I admit this is the first sport mascot in many years I'm legit going to miss so much....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, they excel the mascot marketing thing. As I said, back to the 80's were really memorable, from Misha and Vučko to Cobi. The Snowlets from Nagano started all this mess, a part of being horrible. Sydney just made it worst. Even a generic koala would have been better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Indeed, they excel the mascot marketing thing. As I said, back to the 80's were really memorable, from Misha and Vučko to Cobi. The Snowlets from Nagano started all this mess, a part of being horrible. Sydney just made it worst. Even a generic koala would have been better.

You know Sydney mascots were boring as hell when even an unofficial mascot (Fatso the Wombat) became more popular. 

And to be honest, the mess indirectly began with Cobi. He was a very weird choice/design but ended up being successful and beloved by the people in Barcelona. Atlanta tried to imitate that and we all know what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2018 at 7:53 PM, mattygs said:

I'll be the odd one out.

One of the worst handovers I've seen in some time. No story, no heart , and apart from the video could have been anywhere in the world. Yup, we get it, you have computers, and tv's , and really really fast internet connections China - but big whoop. Not impressed. Apart from the soundtrack, I think that was great. 

I’m with you on this. And for all the talk of high-tech, I didn’t really see it - a lot of precision walking and dancing around the floor projections (which, yes, look nice but are really getting overdone and just got lost in the midst of all the ones the Koreans were also spamming) ad a bunch of LED screens. Big deal! And a lot of focus on Xi, which was kinda creepy on the same day he was proclaimed Leader for Life. And he wasn’t even jolly or got into the spirit like Abe at Tokyo’s handover. No, it all left me a bit cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rewatching the handover many times, sadly I have to agree with some. Displaying hi-tech performance doesn't always means your show will completely reach the spectators. Tokyo felt far more genuine and festive. This just felt somewhat fake and like random ideas mashed up and it didn't conveyed a message.

Again, Zhang Yimou strength doesn't lies in futurism, he should just focus on ancient China and leave the futuristic stuff to Japan and Korea, in all honesty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps projections have become quite predictable that they are not as surprising as the ones before the millennium before them. It was better than PyeongChang in Sochi to me though. 

I doubt there would be handovers like SLC. The music and the stage setting riding real horses in a country where are rare to see, that was creative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to realize that their objective is no longer about a traditional China but a modern one. How they want people to perceive a modern China.... What's authentic and unique about their version of modernity that doesn't mix with modern Japan or Korea. What's the difference? How is it related or contributing to the world that people can relate to? We saw style and K-Pop in Korea. In Japan, probably a lot of anime and high tech stuff. But China, what does a modern China look like and why it matters or seems cool to people???

Zhang Yimou is all about doing things with precision, number, and scale. He doesn't have that cool or a touch from the future in him. He may be great in delivering a show full of history and traditions but not when it comes to modernity. This handover feels just like the modern segment from 2008 OC: the use of music, color, lighting, people dancing and forming things....very predicable and even somewhat cheesy.  It feels like it's already 60% there in the future but stuck 40% somewhere from the past.  

My mom said she could tell the difference between Korean and Chinese performances in the ceremony by the use of music, colors, and performances. With Korean performance, it feels fresh, stylish, cool, loosen up, and modern. China just tried too hard to be modern. That killed the fun at the same time felt cheesy/stuck in the past not as modern as Korea or Japan. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nowuniverse said:

They need to realize that their objective is no longer about a traditional China but a modern one. How they want people to perceive a modern China.... What's authentic and unique about their version of modernity that doesn't mix with modern Japan or Korea. What's the difference? How is it related or contributing to the world that people can relate to? We saw style and K-Pop in Korea. In Japan, probably a lot of anime and high tech stuff. But China, what does a modern China look like and why it matters or seems cool to people???

Zhang Yimou is all about doing things with precision, number, and scale. He doesn't have that cool or a touch from the future in him. He may be great in delivering a show full of history and traditions but not when it comes to modernity. This handover feels just like the modern segment from 2008 OC: the use of music, color, lighting, people dancing and forming things....very predicable and even somewhat cheesy.  It feels like it's already 60% there in the future but stuck 40% somewhere from the past.  

My mom said she could tell the difference between Korean and Chinese performances in the ceremony by the use of music, colors, and performances. With Korean performance, it feels fresh, stylish, cool, loosen up, and modern. China just tried too hard to be modern. That killed the fun at the same time felt cheesy/stuck in the past not as modern as Korea or Japan. 

 

 

I hope it's about China since the Qing dynasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WD96 said:

I hope it's about China since the Qing dynasty.

Qing is retrospectively the most unpopular Dynasty still to this day since the majority of Han people see it as the Manchu domination/oppression, plus how weak they were dealing with Japan and the colonial powers. Which is why they don't usually depict Qing stuff in ceremonies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rehearsals and "Behind the Works" reports of the making of the Handover are now available

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 4:46 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Qing is retrospectively the most unpopular Dynasty still to this day since the majority of Han people see it as the Manchu domination/oppression, plus how weak they were dealing with Japan and the colonial powers. Which is why they don't usually depict Qing stuff in ceremonies.

Maybe they will talk about China in the 1920s instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must say I loved the handover segment - actually the closing ceremony as a whole was one of the best for years.  Seems this year the organisers remembered to keep some of their ceremonies budget for the end too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Handover segment was OK.  I don't what else they can portray other than Harbin in winter, which I guess the Beijing powers aren't too eager to promote.  I actually found it better than the Tokyo 2020 segment in Rio.  That was too garish; this one was far more entertaining and creative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen again the handover, and the first word that came to my mind was "pretentious".

The desing of lines, the  saturated colours used on stage, the overuse of projections as Sochi and Rio, the video of Xi trying to be cool. Everybody maybe have idea that this handover tried to surpass Tokyo 2020, but they didn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Must say I loved the handover segment - actually the closing ceremony as a whole was one of the best for years.  Seems this year the organisers remembered to keep some of their ceremonies budget for the end too.

London also kept good balance of both Opening and Closing budgets. I dare to say many parts of 2012 closing were even better than the Opening (you can tell a good part of the budget ran out at the Pandemonium segment only). Same for Sochi, then again they had no control of what they spend in anything at those games.

Rio closing was pretty poor, you could tell they used most of the money in the opening. The Tokyo handover was the only really eyecandy segment of the ceremony. 

Ironically, despite Beijing 2008 opening still being considered the most spectacular ever, the closing ceremony was actually very forgettable. China overkilled the budget in the Opening only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...