Beijing 2022 Handover segment

Beijing 2008 mascot overkill is probably one of the reasons they've decided to keep it at just one for the Olympics and one for the Paralympics. In all honesty, it works far much better this way.

And yes, like I said before, PC2018 did a wonderful work with how they treated their mascot. I admit this is the first sport mascot in many years I'm legit going to miss so much....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Indeed, they excel the mascot marketing thing. As I said, back to the 80's were really memorable, from Misha and Vučko to Cobi. The Snowlets from Nagano started all this mess, a part of being horrible. Sydney just made it worst. Even a generic koala would have been better.

You know Sydney mascots were boring as hell when even an unofficial mascot (Fatso the Wombat) became more popular. 

And to be honest, the mess indirectly began with Cobi. He was a very weird choice/design but ended up being successful and beloved by the people in Barcelona. Atlanta tried to imitate that and we all know what happened. 

On 26/02/2018 at 7:53 PM, mattygs said:

I'll be the odd one out.

One of the worst handovers I've seen in some time. No story, no heart , and apart from the video could have been anywhere in the world. Yup, we get it, you have computers, and tv's , and really really fast internet connections China - but big whoop. Not impressed. Apart from the soundtrack, I think that was great. 

I’m with you on this. And for all the talk of high-tech, I didn’t really see it - a lot of precision walking and dancing around the floor projections (which, yes, look nice but are really getting overdone and just got lost in the midst of all the ones the Koreans were also spamming) ad a bunch of LED screens. Big deal! And a lot of focus on Xi, which was kinda creepy on the same day he was proclaimed Leader for Life. And he wasn’t even jolly or got into the spirit like Abe at Tokyo’s handover. No, it all left me a bit cold.

Rewatching the handover many times, sadly I have to agree with some. Displaying hi-tech performance doesn't always means your show will completely reach the spectators. Tokyo felt far more genuine and festive. This just felt somewhat fake and like random ideas mashed up and it didn't conveyed a message.

Again, Zhang Yimou strength doesn't lies in futurism, he should just focus on ancient China and leave the futuristic stuff to Japan and Korea, in all honesty. 

Perhaps projections have become quite predictable that they are not as surprising as the ones before the millennium before them. It was better than PyeongChang in Sochi to me though. 

I doubt there would be handovers like SLC. The music and the stage setting riding real horses in a country where are rare to see, that was creative.

They need to realize that their objective is no longer about a traditional China but a modern one. How they want people to perceive a modern China.... What's authentic and unique about their version of modernity that doesn't mix with modern Japan or Korea. What's the difference? How is it related or contributing to the world that people can relate to? We saw style and K-Pop in Korea. In Japan, probably a lot of anime and high tech stuff. But China, what does a modern China look like and why it matters or seems cool to people???

Zhang Yimou is all about doing things with precision, number, and scale. He doesn't have that cool or a touch from the future in him. He may be great in delivering a show full of history and traditions but not when it comes to modernity. This handover feels just like the modern segment from 2008 OC: the use of music, color, lighting, people dancing and forming things....very predicable and even somewhat cheesy.  It feels like it's already 60% there in the future but stuck 40% somewhere from the past.  

My mom said she could tell the difference between Korean and Chinese performances in the ceremony by the use of music, colors, and performances. With Korean performance, it feels fresh, stylish, cool, loosen up, and modern. China just tried too hard to be modern. That killed the fun at the same time felt cheesy/stuck in the past not as modern as Korea or Japan. 

2 hours ago, nowuniverse said:

They need to realize that their objective is no longer about a traditional China but a modern one. How they want people to perceive a modern China.... What's authentic and unique about their version of modernity that doesn't mix with modern Japan or Korea. What's the difference? How is it related or contributing to the world that people can relate to? We saw style and K-Pop in Korea. In Japan, probably a lot of anime and high tech stuff. But China, what does a modern China look like and why it matters or seems cool to people???

Zhang Yimou is all about doing things with precision, number, and scale. He doesn't have that cool or a touch from the future in him. He may be great in delivering a show full of history and traditions but not when it comes to modernity. This handover feels just like the modern segment from 2008 OC: the use of music, color, lighting, people dancing and forming things....very predicable and even somewhat cheesy.  It feels like it's already 60% there in the future but stuck 40% somewhere from the past.  

My mom said she could tell the difference between Korean and Chinese performances in the ceremony by the use of music, colors, and performances. With Korean performance, it feels fresh, stylish, cool, loosen up, and modern. China just tried too hard to be modern. That killed the fun at the same time felt cheesy/stuck in the past not as modern as Korea or Japan. 

I hope it's about China since the Qing dynasty.

9 hours ago, WD96 said:

I hope it's about China since the Qing dynasty.

Qing is retrospectively the most unpopular Dynasty still to this day since the majority of Han people see it as the Manchu domination/oppression, plus how weak they were dealing with Japan and the colonial powers. Which is why they don't usually depict Qing stuff in ceremonies.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 4:46 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Qing is retrospectively the most unpopular Dynasty still to this day since the majority of Han people see it as the Manchu domination/oppression, plus how weak they were dealing with Japan and the colonial powers. Which is why they don't usually depict Qing stuff in ceremonies.

Maybe they will talk about China in the 1920s instead.

Thought Handover segment was OK.  I don't what else they can portray other than Harbin in winter, which I guess the Beijing powers aren't too eager to promote.  I actually found it better than the Tokyo 2020 segment in Rio.  That was too garish; this one was far more entertaining and creative. 

I've seen again the handover, and the first word that came to my mind was "pretentious".

The desing of lines, the  saturated colours used on stage, the overuse of projections as Sochi and Rio, the video of Xi trying to be cool. Everybody maybe have idea that this handover tried to surpass Tokyo 2020, but they didn't.

18 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Must say I loved the handover segment - actually the closing ceremony as a whole was one of the best for years.  Seems this year the organisers remembered to keep some of their ceremonies budget for the end too.

London also kept good balance of both Opening and Closing budgets. I dare to say many parts of 2012 closing were even better than the Opening (you can tell a good part of the budget ran out at the Pandemonium segment only). Same for Sochi, then again they had no control of what they spend in anything at those games.

Rio closing was pretty poor, you could tell they used most of the money in the opening. The Tokyo handover was the only really eyecandy segment of the ceremony. 

Ironically, despite Beijing 2008 opening still being considered the most spectacular ever, the closing ceremony was actually very forgettable. China overkilled the budget in the Opening only. 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28.1.2018 at 15:13, anthonyliberatori said:

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-01/25/c_136924892.htm

Sie wollen sich auf das neue und kommende China konzentrieren, nicht auf das alte China. Zusammenfassend heißt es, dass sich viele, seit Peking 2008 nicht allzu lange her ist, noch an die Darstellung der 5.000 Jahre chinesischen Geschichte erinnern. Es besteht also keine Notwendigkeit, dies erneut zu tun und sich zu wiederholen. Sie sagen, dass sie Hochtechnologie mit traditionellen Elementen verbinden werden, die sich alle auf den Wintersport konzentrieren.

Ich denke, dies ist eine gute Idee, da Peking 2008 erstaunliche Zeremonien hatte, aber wenn es erneut versucht würde, würden sie wahrscheinlich in der Nähe von Nagano landen (vorausgesetzt, China lässt die Technologie hinter sich). Ich denke, es wird gut für China sein, diese Gelegenheit zu nutzen, um sich auf der Weltbühne als wachsendes technologisches Zentrum zu präsentieren und gleichzeitig ihre Geschichte zu verflechten. Es könnte auch eine direkte Antwort auf Tokios Übergabe und dann eine weitere Antwort auf Tokios Eröffnungsfeier 2020 im Jahr 2022 sein, aber so oder so freue ich mich darauf.

Ich teile die selbe Meinung. China hat die Chance das Land zu präsentieren und sollte diese unbedingt nutzen.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...