Germany may boycott the 2018 Winter Olympics

"Please be informed that final decision to boycott the PyeonChang 2018 Winter Olympics has not been made by the government yet and we continue to monitor the situation on the Korean Peninsula," said Dagmar Freitag, the chairwoman of the Sports Committee, in her letter to Alfons Hörmann, the President of the German Olympic Sports Confederation.

image.jpg

Experts from many countries including Austria, France and Norway express their fears over security conditions during the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Games. Among the threats the experts see possible joint military operation of the U.S. and South Korea against North Korea, Pyongyang's provocations against Seoul and disregarding of the UN Security Council's resolutions related to missile and nuclear tests.

However, there is no consistent discussion of the issue among the global sporting organizations. Any attempt to draw their attention to that kind of information on the situation over North Korea is either ignored or purposely concealed or even falsified. Germany's possible boycott of the Olympic Games may change everything and force the participants of the conflict to sit down to talk and settle their differences.

First of all, welcome to Gamesbids. Since you are new here, please know that posts concerning Pyeongchang 2018 should be done on its respective subforum.

Second of all, if you wish to post news, please share the link source with us. Either way, this is old. Germany reaffirmed not too long ago they would take part in Pyeongchang 2018, alongside France. 

2 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

This looks fake.

I should add: as a German native speaker, I find the language a bit too clumsy for an official letter by the chair of the parliamentary sports committee. Said committee is currently inactive anyway, like all other committees as we had elections but no govt is formed yet and it’s a kind of “interregnum”. It also implies that the DOSB would have contacted them regarding a boycott, which I find hard to believe.

• Like 1

I did a search in Google Images of this pic. I found no coincidences, so I'm calling this a fake. Anyone can make a fake statement/leak/photo these days thanks to the available technology.

Again, please post the source of the news when you have it. We have enough of fake news and this doesn't help at all. 

29 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I should add: as a German native speaker, I find the language a bit too clumsy for an official letter by the chair of the parliamentary sports committee. Said committee is currently inactive anyway, like all other committees as we had elections but no govt is formed yet and it’s a kind of “interregnum”. It also implies that the DOSB would have contacted them regarding a boycott, which I find hard to believe.

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly, it's the (currently receding) threat of another possible boycott which interests the German press:

Dopingskandal

Russland plant keinen Olympia-Boykott

Russische Politiker hatten einen Boykott der Olympischen Winterspiele angedroht, falls Flagge und Hymne verboten würden. Der Kreml gibt sich moderater: Eine solche Option werde "nicht geprüft".

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/russland-plant-keinen-olympia-boykott-a-1181655.html

Montag, 04.12.2017   15:56 Uhr

This might mean Russia is not going to be fully banned from PC2018 tomorrow, if they're making such decision. WADA is not going to be happy about it.

On the other hand, the time to officially sign up for the WOG already ran out and North Korea so far hasn't inscribed their two qualified athletes for Pyeongchang. While they can still participate with an IOC invitation, I think its clearly obvious they don't have intentions to take part.

SK wants NK to take part in the games as some form of guarantee Kim won't do anything stupid during the WOG with his athletes still being at the south of the border. Guess they will have to forget about it. 

12 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

This might mean Russia is not going to be fully banned from PC2018 tomorrow, if they're making such decision. WADA is not going to be happy about it.

On the other hand, the time to officially sign up for the WOG already ran out and North Korea so far hasn't inscribed their two qualified athletes for Pyeongchang. While they can still participate with an IOC invitation, I think its clearly obvious they don't have intentions to take part.

SK wants NK to take part in the games as some form of guarantee Kim won't do anything stupid during the WOG with his athletes still being at the south of the border. Guess they will have to forget about it. 

That would be a small guarantee, and just for the first few days of the WOG, since the only qualified NK athletes are their pairs figure skating team and the pairs competition will be over by the middle of the first week.  All Kim would need to do is bring them home as soon as their competition is over and then there would be nothing restraining him.