Thank you and Goodnight...

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but this is going to be my last post here on the site. After 11 years I have decided that the passion for the site is no longer there.

I just wanted to say thank you for the memories and I wish you all good health, wealth and lots of spectacular ceremonies to come...

For my last post, after all my years of searching, I finally got my hands on the official DVD of the Sydney 2000 ceremonies :) that's my weekend sorted :)

Thank You and Goodnight X

23517653_1733062616727394_61942950288789

• Like 2

What can I say Scotty? Never say never, but I know what you mean about lost passion for the board. Still, it’s been some good times here in the past, and I still hope an odd glimmer might break through come a games time - or a truly decent and absorbing bid campaign (though it’s hard to see that happening any time soon). Hope to see you break your departure come PC next year... or Tokyo 2020, Paris 2024 or LA 28.

In the meantime, enjoy the Sydney OC! Still one of my faves (understandably, surely).

Ayway,I’m off to celebrate Marriage Equality here in Oz. About time, but it’s a sweet feeling.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Scotguy said:

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but this is going to be my last post here on the site. After 11 years I have decided that the passion for the site is no longer there.

I just wanted to say thank you for the memories and I wish you all good health, wealth and lots of spectacular ceremonies to come...

For my last post, after all my years of searching, I finally got my hands on the official DVD of the Sydney 2000 ceremonies :) that's my weekend sorted :)

Thank You and Goodnight X

But if it's your last post, how will you be able to tell us what the DVD does about the stuck-cauldron problem?

I clearly understand your reasons and I agree with you that the board is not what it used to be anymore. However you'll still be greatly missed around here. Here's hoping everything goes well wherever you go and remember you can always count with us whenever you need a helping hand.

Also, I hope you can return with us at least for one last time for PC2018, given it's very close now and maybe the passion in the board will be reignited, even if it's for a short time. :P 

Best of luck!

47 minutes ago, paul said:

This is all Rio's fault.

To be fair it's the whole Olympic movement fault and their negligency to evolve from a monolithic society and to adapt to the the new times. Plus the meltdown provoked by Sochi ridiculous waste of money to already suspicious interests/audience which caused the last two bid races (which are the soul of this forum) to be completly pathetic, to say the least. Add to the fact there wont be a 2028 race for reasons we already know (the double awarding of the games a couple of months) and the fact the 2026 race seems to be as bad or even worse than the last two. 

Sadly, the Olympics are more or less one of the favorite things to hate right now. Though I still want to be optimistic and believe changes will come (not as long Bach and his friends are still on power, though). 

In reality,  the issues the IOC faces are no different than they were when I started following the Games nearly 40 years ago. Economics, doping, corruption were just as rampant then as they are now.  The difference is back then you read a story in the next day's newspaper or watched a related feature on the evening news.  You were not bombarded with the constant flow of negativity prevalent in today's media.  Being hammered with views critical of something you enjoy does cause you to question if the time you invest in that interest is being wisely spent.  The loss of interest in these forums is a result of this.  

There is also the simple fact that our tastes change over time.  I remember when this time of year was all about the NFL, it was my life from August to January. Now, I seldom if ever watch. It has nothing to do with the issues that polarize opinions about the league, I just simply have had my fill of it, the game just does not seem as interesting as it once did. 

While I agree with you with the Doping and Corruption thing, I think it's a mistake to compare the Olympics of back then to what they are today. They've grown a bit too much out of control, which led the already existing Economic issues from the past to increase a threefold. As for the first two, they've become more obvious because of the general sense of distrust toward sport institutions (after the FIFA fiasco of 2015, I can't blame them) thanks to the social media becoming more relevant. 

We like it or not, the media will always make bad publicity. After all, good news don't sell. Even Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 which were very good editions didn't escaped their own share of bad publicity (the blame of the Georgian athlete's death being put on the organizers/problems with the ice at the speedskating arena/the cauldron glitch/etc). Of course, bad publicity has become much worse because of both social media and the fact society has become way too cynical and critical of everything on recent years.

I still have hope Olympics can recover their reputation. But for that a big reform is needed. Which is not going to happen as long as Bach and his circle stay around. If he had any real dignity, the fact Agenda 2020 was a colossal trainwreck should be enough reason for him to resign (though we all know he's not gonna do that).

:mellow: A huge sea change in global opinion over the Olympic Games in the last twenty five or so years since Sydney won the rights to 2000 is clearly obvious. 

GamesBids web page is still a reasonably good site for Olympic news and general sports hosting news, BUT the forum pages need updating NOW.

The main menu still hasn't been reorganised since the double hosting of 2024 and 2028 were announced. We are still having to scroll past former events that hold little interest anymore.

Another factor is that life has got faster and there just isn't the time to talk. Mainly in the between years where nothing major is going on - case in point - Australia and New Zealand are hosting the Rugby League World Cup which is only gaining a marginal presence in even the sports news simply because the last FIFA18 qualifiers are being played. 

It will light up in a couple or so months when PeyongChang hosts the OWGs and again for Russia18 but will go quiet for the rest of the year.

Sports Bodies themselves are becoming jaded at the IOC due to it's oversized governance and now focusing on their own "world cup" events. And now in the world of multi media, TV coverage costs nearly $1 billion. 

As for those who were regular chatters...Life moves on. Yes we have had our ups and downs but in the anonymous web world, really all in no harm.

Good luck in life Scotguy...Just now and then have a sneaky peek to keep up with the news...:)

• Like 1

Everyone seems to acknowledge that a 'big reform' is needed. But what form should that/they take? And bye Scotguy, sorry to see you go - the board will be poorer without you - but there's a Games round the  corner... Good luck with everything :)

13 hours ago, Alexjc said:

GamesBids web page is still a reasonably good site for Olympic news and general sports hosting news, BUT the forum pages need updating NOW.

The main menu still hasn't been reorganised since the double hosting of 2024 and 2028 were announced. We are still having to scroll past former events that hold little interest anymore.

About time someone pointed this out.

What are we still doing with subforums about the 2018 Bid which ended 6 years ago already? Same for 2020, where we still have a couple of peeps posting on the Tokyo thread over there when all Tokyo 2020 posts should be done in the new subforum dedicated to the next Summer Games. It really becomes confusing for people who is interested on joining the site.

I understand the 2024-2028 subforums are still around because they ended just recently, but in the near future they should be taken down too and replaced with their proper subforums. 

• Like 2