Maybe no Russian anthem @ PC 2018

IOC considering more penalties against Russia for all its cheating/doping activities -- like possibly no playing of the Russian anthem if their athletes win gold; and their atheltes NOT being allowed to march at the OC -- per The New York Times. 

That's the least those f*cking cheating Russians deserve!  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/sports/olympics/russia-doping-winter-olympics.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront  

They are such a morally bankrupt people as a whole.  Serves them right. 

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

IOC considering more penalties against Russia for all its cheating/doping activities -- like possibly no playing of the Russian anthem if their athletes win gold; and their atheltes NOT being allowed to march at the OC -- per The New York Times. 

That's the least those f*cking cheating Russians deserve!  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/sports/olympics/russia-doping-winter-olympics.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront  

They are such a morally bankrupt people as a whole.  Serves them right. 

I really want to disagree with you about this.

But so far I can't actually think of a reason why I should.

No one is a saint. IOC probably knew about state sponsored doping from other countries in the past but never moved a finger about it because money.

Even if they input sanctions to Russia they will still be gutless because they won't actually completly ban Russia, just like in Rio 2016. This is just symbolic and to try to appease the media and critics.

39 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

No one is a saint. IOC probably knew about state sponsored doping from other countries in the past but never moved a finger about it because money.

Even if they input sanctions to Russia they will still be gutless because they won't actually completly ban Russia, just like in Rio 2016. This is just symbolic and to try to appease the media and critics.

No; I think the IOC has to balance PENALIZING Russia because obviously their actions as a host nation in 2014 WERE REPREHENSIBLE.  But at the same time, maybe NOT penalize the few Russian athletes, who hoping against hope, could actually be clean.  And of course, they also don't want to decimate the ranks, say, of the figure skaters, esp in the Ladies and Pairs, who would give the Olympics quality competition.  

I think the IOC should also BAN the presence of Russian officials @ PyeongChang!  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

We all know that's not going to happen, as much as most of us want to. Sadly, money is the only thing they have on their mind. However I expect maybe one or two of the federations are banned from PC, just like the athletics team was banned from Rio. 

Again, they're hypocrite. They fully sanctioned countries like Kuwait (on this case for state meddling in their NOC affairs) because they're generally irrelevant when it comes to sport (even though a kuwait athlete won a gold medal as part of the Independent Olympic Team). But Russia, China, or former communist countries which we all know had a state sponsored doping plan never got anything at all, because they give attraction to the games, for better or for worse, and that's the only thing they care about.

I want to be idealistic and believe Russia will be fully sanctioned, but sadly that's just a fantasy which won't happen. 

Also, Pyeongchang is already having enough problems trying to convince North Korean officials to assist to the games in order to appease the current political climate (Thanks, Trump. ) I don't think they want to be on bad terms with Russian officials now to make the situation even more complicated than it already is. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sochi 2014 was an absolute farce of WOG. Jesus christ. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/42145478

Russian doping: IOC bans five more Winter Olympic athletes

Five more Russian athletes have been banned from the Olympics for life as a result of the International Olympic Committee's investigations into the country's doping scandal.

Sergei Chudinov, Aleksei Negodailo, Dmitry Trunenkov, Yana Romanova and Olga Vilukhina have all been punished.

The IOC announced the first Russian bans, based on the findings of the 2016 McLaren report, on 1 November.

On Monday, it published a full decision on one of the bans for the first time.

In it, the IOC's disciplinary commission described the "puzzle" of investigating something that was "by nature and purpose elusive".

The McLaren report said Russian athletes benefited from a state-sponsored doping programme between 2011 and 2015, speaking of "a cover-up that evolved from uncontrolled chaos to an institutionalised and disciplined medal-winning conspiracy".

In explaining its decision to punish Alexander Legkov, one of two Russian skiers banned on 1 November, the IOC said the athlete had "sought to argue that no evidence could be drawn from the McLaren report" but it had "come to a different conclusion".

It said the authority of the report's author, Professor Richard McLaren, was "unquestionable" and it "can and will rely" on its findings.

Negodailo and Trunenkov were members of Russia's four-man bobsleigh team that won gold at Sochi 2014.

Romanova and Vilukhina won silver in the biathlon relay, while Vilukhina won silver in the 7.5km event.

Nineteen Russian athletes have now been suspended from the Olympics for life since 1 November.

The latest bans come with the IOC set to rule on whether Russia will be allowed to compete at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, which begin on 9 February.

The IOC will announce its decision at its next meeting, scheduled to begin on 5 December.

Russian Sochi Olympians banned

Gold medallists

Alexander Legkov, 50km cross country

Aleksei Negodailo, four-man bobsleigh

Aleksandr Tretiakov, skeleton

Dmitry Trunenkov, four-man bobsleigh

Aleksandr Zubkov, two-man and four-man bobsleigh

Silver medallists

Olga Fatkulina, 500m speed skating

Yana Romanova, biathlon relay

Olga Vilukhina, biathlon relay and 7.5km biathlon

Maksim Vylegzhanin, 50km cross country

Men's 4x10km cross country

Men's team sprint classic cross country

Bronze medallists

Elena Nikitina, women's skeleton

Others

Evgeniy Belov, cross country

Yuliia Ivanova, cross country

Sergei Chudinov, skeleton

Alexey Petukhov, cross country

Evgeniya Shapovalova, cross country

Maria Orlova, skeleton

Olga Potylitsyna, skeleton

Olga Stulneva, bobsleigh

Alexander Rumyantsev, speed skater

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I think I saw somewhere that Russia has now been stripped of 1/3 of its medals from Sochi.  I'm surprised it's not more at this point.

They're announcing more and more every couple of days at the moment !

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-sanctions-four-russian-athletes-as-part-of-oswald-commission-findings

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-sanctions-four-russian-athletes-as-part-of-oswald-commission-findings-2017-11-24

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-sanctions-five-russian-athletes-and-publishes-first-full-decision-as-part-of-the-oswald-commission-findings

As much as I fear taking out Russia completly from PC2018 will hurt the interest for these games even more (the NHL dropping from this edition already did that job though ;; ), i'm more scared about the complete lose of trust to Olympism as a whole.

If the IOC wants to gain credibility again, or at least some, they have to show they still have a spine and that such a level of cheating can't go unpunished, specially if the whole Govt and Russian state was involved and, on top of that, are still unrepentful and bringing the classic "Rusophobia" boogieman.

They lost the first place at the medal tally retrospectively and they are still saying crap like "This was a victory of the Russian people and its too late to take away what we already gained" and stuff. They're still living in Wonderland. 

• Like 2

The original article was on spanish but I took my time on translating it.

This December 5 is going to be, without doubt, one of the biggest challenges the Olympics have faced on its history. The aftermath earthquake which could happen if Bach refuses to grow a pair can be devastating to the whole Olympics like anything else before. 

https://elpais.com/deportes/2017/11/27/actualidad/1511795823_258317.html

The world of anti-doping calls for Russia not to participate in the Pyeongchang Games
The president of the IOC, Thomas Bach, will announce on December 5 if he admits the Russian athletes in the Olympic winter event

As soon as I landed in the gray Eindhoven on a dark Sunday morning in November, a Brazilian journalist trembled with cold and wondered aloud how Romario could endure five years living here? In the afternoon, in the conference room of Play the Game, the same question was asked by everyone attending the great biennial conference on corruption in sports. How does this man stand here?

They did not refer to the Brazilian soccer player who triumphed at Barça after playing at PSV Eindhoven but to Hassan Al Thawadi, the secretary general of the organizing committee of the Qatar 2022 World Cup, a hotbed of doubts. Al Thawadi, passionate and conquering, intervened, clearing all accusations of corruption in the purchase of the votes of FIFA leaders to organize the World Cup and the bad working conditions of the workers who build the stadiums in the desert. All their arguments ended with a veiled accusation, something like how would they have the same doubts if the World Cup was not organized by an Arab country but one from Western Europe?

It is the same argument that are spent in their communications to claim their innocence and the Western obsession with their doping sins the great protagonists absent from the conference, the Russians, of whom all speak badly. None of the leaders of Russian sport and the Russian anti-doping agency, invited by the organization, attended the debates in Eindhoven. A few days after we happily accepted the invitation to discuss their issues with the international leaders, the organizers tell us, they all apologized for their attendance.

From Russia, and in the negative, representatives of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the World Anti-Doping Agency (AMA), the North American agency on behalf of all national agencies and athletes, spoke. All, more or less firmly and clearly, agreed that next Tuesday, December 5, the IOC should declare its ban and prohibit its athletes from participating with their anthem, flag and uniforms at the Pyeongchang Winter Games (Korea South), next February. The pressure on the president of the IOC, the German Thomas Bach, consider it necessary all the forces of good because they remember with some frustration how the same IOC did not dare to sanction Russia before the Rio 2016 Games, leaving it to the federations the decision to allow or prohibit the Russians from participating. Only athletics remained firm in his refusal.

"I hope that Bach does not crack like he did before Rio. I have had an honest conversation with him on the subject and I have promised to close my mouth, but I will only keep it closed if he stands firm, "said Dick Pound, the oldest member of the IOC, the Jiminy Cricket of the organization, a minority conscience . "My colleagues and those in charge of the international federations are not as concerned about the fight against doping as their portfolios". Pound, a former vice president of the IOC who never achieves enough votes to return to the Executive, was the first president of the AMA. He was also the author of the first report on doping organized in Russia, the one for which the scandal began. It was followed by the two McLaren reports, which detailed, with the help of the former director of the Moscow laboratory, how the Russian government had covered and protected its athletes and how it had organized a system of systematic doping at the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.

In both reports, drawn up on the initiative of the AMA, the IOC of Bach responded with the launching of two commissions of inquiry, the Oswald commission and the Schmid, whose reports will be decisive in the decision adopted by the IOC on December 5. In parallel, following the first details of the Oswald commission, the last weeks the IOC has suspended and deleted the results of 14 Russian athletes who competed in Sochi. Russia has lost nine medals for these sanctions and the leadership of the Sochi medal count, which has come to occupy Norway. A Solomonic solution would be the prohibition to Russia and the permission to participate individually to its athletes. Russia has threatened a boycott if it is not allowed to participate with its flag and anthem.

"I would not talk about doping in the State but about institutionalized doping," said Craig Reedie, current president of AMA, who wanted to be a diplomat. "Russia has made great strides. He has created a new independent anti-doping agency, he has started to make controls, he has improved his system, but he still has to fulfill two conditions for us to readmit him in the AMA, to accept the conclusions of the McLaren report and to give us all the electronic records of the analyzes in the Moscow laboratory. Until you do, your agency remains outside the AMA. But that does not mean that your Olympic committee should be automatically expelled ... "

The same Sunday that Reedie spoke like this the British press published how the Russian government had covered the doping of almost all the players of its selection and how FIFA refused to accept the tests. Russia organizes the 2018 World Cup. It should be FIFA, according to Reedie, who forbade the host team to play in their World Cup.

Can't find the source on english but looks like Russia backpedaled about boycotting the Winter Games in case they get sanction.  

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/juegos-olimpicos/20171204/433418561645/rusia-descarta-el-boicot-a-los-juegos-de-pyeongchang.html

Russia rules out the boycott of the Pyeongchang Games

"We are against the violation of the rights of our athletes, the unjustified violation of rights. But at the same time Russia remains committed to the ideals of Olympism, "says a spokesman for the Kremlin

Russia does not plan to boycott the 2018 Winter Olympics in the South Korean city of Pyeongchang if the International Olympic Committee (IOC) imposes restrictions on the country's participation in the alleged state-sponsored doping, the Kremlin said on Monday.

The IOC plans to decide on Tuesday the Russian participation in the event, after more than 20 Russian athletes were sanctioned for life by doping to compete in the Olympic Games in Sochi 2014. "No, it is not being discussed," said the Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov on a possible Russian boycott in a conference call with journalists.

"We are against the violation of the rights of our athletes, the unjustified violation of rights. But at the same time Russia remains committed to the ideals of Olympism, "he added. Peskov said that Russia's decision not to boycott the Games was taken by President Vladimir Putin and seeks to "preserve all possible channels of cooperation and dialogue with the IOC, as well as with other international sports organizations."

The IOC has re-analyzed all samples of Russian athletes from the 2014 Games following the revelations of Grigory Rodchenkov, the former director of the suspended Moscow anti-doping laboratory, about an alleged organization to cover up positive samples from some local competitors.

The bans on Russian athletes were the result of an IOC investigation into an extended doping program in Russian athletes and a pattern of falsification of samples by laboratory and security officials at the Sochi Games.

While i'm glad cheaters finally got what they deserved, I would be lying if I didn't said these next games are going to be one of the most controversial ever. Now we have to see what the other lapdogs friends of Russia decide to do. God forbids an organized mass boycott a la 1980's.