Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Olympian2004

A question about Sydney's cauldron

Looks like I posted this in the wrong forums earlier, so I'll repost it here.

Ok, we all know how the cauldron was lit, but there's a little detail that bugs me. It's easy to see Kathy Freeman walk out into the pool of water and light the cauldron at her feet. My issue is that the cauldron is shaped like a cone without the top, but she walks straight out. If she lights the wick at the pseudo-apex, how would she be able to walk to the center of the cone without going uphill?  

I know this question is really nitpicky, but I rewatched the lighting today and it's been bothering me all day

Good question.

I guess the answer are the holes in the cauldron. When you watch the video at the IOC website, you can see (starting with minute 3:52, but especially in minute 3:55) that there is a line of four-and-a-half holes leading exactly to the place where Cathy Freeman stood during the lighting. When you bear that in mind and rewind to the moment when Cathy stepped through the water, you'll notice that she seems to step quite carefully at the beginning, as if she was searching for the holes to step in. So: The solution why she hadn't to go uphill are the holes in the cauldron.