IOC Open To Discussing 2026 Olympic Bids From Multiple U.S. Cities

GBModerator

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said Thursday that it could be open to entertaining multiple bids from U.S.-based cities who are vying to host the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Games. With Los Angeles having been selected to host the Summer Games in 2028 and the 2026 Winter Games process having been modified, allowing more time […]

View the full article

Oh geez - this new hysteria mode just keeps getting better & better (so there may still be hope for Tulsa & Bozeman after all)! Why stop there, though. Open all the 'dialouge' gates & let EVERY "interested" city from around the world have a say.

It's quite obvious now that the IOC can bend/break/amend & erase their own rules whenever they see fit/are desperate/or are just downright hysterical.

Question to the crowd: does attaching the Paralympics to the regular Games help or hinder the OGs as we see them today?  I think they are an extra burden to host cities.  If the IOC is to streamline itself, it should just cut away from the Paralympics.  

Thoughts?   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Question to the crowd: does attaching the Paralympics to the regular Games help or hinder the OGs as we see them today?  I think they are an extra burden to host cities.  If the IOC is to streamline itself, it should just cut away from the Paralympics.  

Thoughts?   

Hosting the Paralympics may be "an extra burden" for host cities, but hosting the Paralympics without the Olympics would be a major burden for almost any city, given the number of competitors, and the ambition for numbers of spectators (needing large numbers of volunteers). Also, linking the Paralympics to the Olympics is starting to work well in terms of profile building, as UK Channel 4's work on London showed that significant TV audiences were available for a second helping of international sport if the presentation was right.

Well, of course it’s extra costs for one host, but still cheaper than to have Paras separately elsewhere.

Apart from that, there may even be less bidders for the Paras. And would the IOC wish to be seen as an organisation outcasting people with disabilities? That would be a PR disaster of enormous proportions which the IOC just cannot afford.

8 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

. Also, linking the Paralympics to the Olympics is starting to work well in terms of profile building, as UK Channel 4's work on London showed that significant TV audiences were available for a second helping of international sport if the presentation was right.

Not in the case of the upcoming PyeongChang 2018 WOGs.  it depends on the culture of the host country.  Sure, liberal, sociliastic western democracies will always support them over the 50% mark -- but look, So. Korea isn't doing so right now.  It got messed up too when Rio hosted.  I think it should be an optional thing.  I think the IOC would have more takers if the Paras weren't part of the equation.  

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Well, of course it’s extra costs for one host, but still cheaper than to have Paras separately elsewhere.

Apart from that, there may even be less bidders for the Paras. And would the IOC wish to be seen as an organisation outcasting people with disabilities? That would be a PR disaster of enormous proportions which the IOC just cannot afford.

No; the IOC diesn't have to do it.  But by their adding another set of Games onto their already ambitious programme, they are making it more difficult to find wannabee host cities.  

Not in the case of the upcoming PyeongChang 2018 WOGs.  it depends on the culture of the host country.  Sure, liberal, sociliastic western democracies will always support them over the 50% mark -- but look, So. Korea isn't doing so right now.  It got messed up too when Rio hosted.  I think it should be an optional thing.  I think the IOC would have more takers if the Paras weren't part of the equation.  

It got messed up in Rio because everything got messed up in Rio, and it just happened to be the last item in a long list. Once it was there, however, the "last chance to be part of the Great Experience" factor seemed to work, and it could even work in Korea.

The IOC might get more takers without the Paras, but I think it's absolutely not a serious deciding factor for most cities: very few people would vote against a bid in a referendum because they didn't want the Paras.

JMark, stop making excuses for the Paralympics.  Nobody really wants them.  I mean it makes people look and "feel good" to care for the handicapped, etc., etc., but for something that shouldn't grow bigger because it's a self-death-wish-fulfilling m.o., and then the Paras also want to keep getting bigger and bigger, the IOC should think of casting off the Paras -- and just have them fend on their own, if the regular OGs are to survive themselves.  I mean, there's a great amount of hypocrisy involved in propping up the Paras, in order to appear to have a "conscience" but it doesn't fool me one bit. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

stop making excuses for the Paralympics.  Nobody really wants them.

In the week of 12-18 September 2016, the only programmes in the UK Channel 4 top 20 that weren't Paralympic-related were the Singapore Grand Prix and "Celebrity Island With Bear Grylls" (which was in aid of cancer research). Audiences for the sport coverage ranged from about 1.3 to 1.5 million, which would scale up to around 7 million if the UK had the same population size as the USA.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:27 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Thoughts?   

I couldn't agree more with the idea.. the current host city mostly treated PG as second priority. They poured all the resources and funds to OG then PG (as they didn't have choice, their main aim was OG but they should still do PG).

Let IPC find their own host city that will pour wholeheartedly to stage PG. SO could find their host, I think IPC will also able to find their own host.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, budse said:

I couldn't agree more with the idea.. the current host city mostly treated PG as second priority. They poured all the resources and funds to OG then PG (as they didn't have choice, their main aim was OG but they should still do PG).

Let IPC find their own host city that will pour wholeheartedly to stage PG. SO could find their host, I think IPC will also able to find their own host.

Is it really that possible though? SO works because it's more of a humanitarian event rather than a competitive event so it's like comparing apples to oranges.. If you want to see what will happen to IPC after breaking their bond with IOC you may want to check the Deaflympics.. That event is struggling to find proper host..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zigzag said:

Is it really that possible though? SO works because it's more of a humanitarian event rather than a competitive event so it's like comparing apples to oranges.. If you want to see what will happen to IPC after breaking their bond with IOC you may want to check the Deaflympics.. That event is struggling to find proper host..

The problem is the Paras are piggybacking on the regular O's; but at the same time, they are also expanding - so that is DOUBLE dependency on the regular O's which is already having its own problems of staying afloat!  The Paras should combine with the DeafO's and the Special O's -- and they will find medium-sized cities to host them.  What's the point of having the Paras as a parasite to the main Os' if the O;s are on the brink of extinction??

What's the point of having the Paras as a parasite to the main Os' if the O;s are on the brink of extinction?

The Os are only on the brink of extinction in terms of finding host cities. As a global event, they are riding high- and as my last message indicated, the Paras can ride high by linking themselves with the Olympics (turns out, 1.5 million is the current viewership for Arrow on The CW, while Will and Grace is getting around 6.5 million on NBC).

8 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

The Os are only on the brink of extinction in terms of finding host cities. As a global event, they are riding high- and as my last message indicated, the Paras can ride high by linking themselves with the Olympics (turns out, 1.5 million is the current viewership for Arrow on The CW, while Will and Grace is getting around 6.5 million on NBC).

Once you run out of the 1st world countries with a 'conscience,' and there are only a limited # of those, then you will have the Rio, PyeongChang situations where the Paras really become burdens to the success of the regular Os.  

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Once you run out of the 1st world countries with a 'conscience,' and there are only a limited # of those, then you will have the Rio, PyeongChang situations where the Paras really become burdens to the success of the regular Os.  

It doesn't have to be about "conscience"- it's like USA people going to a European or South American football match; an experience they might not have expected to like much, but which can pleasantly surprise them.

Just 0.2 per cent of tickets sold for Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Paralympics, official claims

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1057154/just-02-per-cent-of-tickets-sold-for-pyeongchang-2018-winter-paralympics-official-claims 

I rest my case.  You can't force people to buy tickets for something they don't have too much or any interest in.  I think it's about that time that people accept the Paras have become a big burden on the budgets of the -- hello? -- ever-shrinking number of cities which want to host a future Olympic Games.  

Added: it's something like the Paras (with all their infrastructure adjustments and peculiarities, that could use a permanent home.  Again, with one of the smaller, liberal northern European or Canadian cities who will never host the larger O-Games (like Amsterdam, Dublin, Helsinki,etc.) but can benefit and glory in being the permanent home and host to the Paras.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^^ Posted this on the Tickets thread at the Pyeongchang subforum. Truly sad, really shows up they didn't promoted the Paralympics like they should had. Doesn't help that the country overall doesn't even seem that interested in the main winter Olympic event either. 

Weren't the London paralympics a success, though? How many tickets did they actually managed to sell for the 2012 and 2016 editions, respectively?

London and Rio both sold lots of tickets. IIRC 2.7 million for London and 1.7 for Rio. In liberalized societies like Britain and Brazil people are more willing to support womens sports and disabled sports as a moral principle, but it is a harder sell for organizers in non-western countries. But there are difficulties beyond that.

I think that one problem with the paralympics is that many disabled people and their families do not identify with the paralympics. The vast majority of paralympians are people who have mobility loss (paralysis or loss of a limb) or sensory loss (blind or deaf.) Almost none of them have degenerative diseases or developmental disorders like Downs syndrome.

Moreover even many of the people who are disabled in the "right ways" do not care about the paralympics because they find them patronizing and think that disabled athletes should compete in the Olympics.

Edited by Nacre