BidWeek: Bach Takes Control As Salt Lake City Enters 2026 Olympic Bid Race

GBModerator

Bidweek, Reporting from Toronto, Canada – I have been covering Olympic bids and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for many, many years – and throughout most of those I have denied that an organization with about 100 voting members and many more stakeholders could predetermine an ‘election’ outcome. I now know better. When on Monday officials […]

View the full article

In hindsight, this is all Larry Probst and Scott Blackmun's fault.  It didn't have to be this complicated -- both for the USOC and for the IOC.

It was a fact that the WOG s return to the US every 20 years (1960, 1980 and 2002).  Had the USOC stuck with that timetable, and positioned Salt Lake (or Reno-Tahoe or Denver) for 2022 (and not get side-tracked by trying to grab a SOG so quickly again), then:

- there wouldn't have been two WOGs in a row in Asia;

- LA would still have gotten 2028; and

- Beijing, Almaty, Calgary, etc., would then be lined up for 2026, 2030.  

It's really the uninspired thinking of the USOC, I believe, that partially led to this sad state of affairs.  So dumb!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'd still be surprised if the IOC awarded both Calgary & Salt Lake at the same time. But then again, desperate times call for desperate measures (& it could be a way of the IOC saying - "fine, you don't want us, (traditional) Europe? We'll fix it so we don't have to set foot in your land for a very long time then". Since you know, the IOC can be vengeful that way). Many thought that a double 2024/2028 combo deal wasn't doable at first, & yet here we are. 

Although, I'd still say even without a solid Euro winter candidate, & if Sapporo was also in the mix, & I could see a double NA/Sapporo deal. Although in that scenario, I'd see SLC going first, since the other way would mean three-consecutive Asian winter Games. And it looks like, if other undesirable despots come out to play, Bach & Co will tell them to pack it up & return home (instead of waiting for bids to drop like flies like before) once the "invitation" phase is over. Problem solved in their view, for another double-lock