Innsbruck Out Of 2026 Olympic Bid As Failed Referendum Adds To IOC Headaches

GBModerator

Innsbruck’s Olympic Winter Games bid was stopped dead in its tracks Sunday after it was narrowly defeated in a public referendum across Innsbruck and Tirol.  Austrian Olympic officials along with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will view this as a major setback after struggling to recover the image of the Games and reform the bid […]

View the full article

Right now the panic sirens are going off in the IOC. I mentioned this another thread but Innsbruck had a scaled down low-budget plan and the people of Tyrol and Innsbruck overwhelmingly voted no. Combine that with Sion having yet to get government approval (I doubt a referendum would pass it anyway) and a skeptical city council in Calgary and the IOC is going to come crawling on their hands and knees to the USOC for a bid. Salt Lake, Reno, Denver, it won't matter. The IOC is approaching desperation. They need a traditional host unless they want to go to Almaty in 2026. Given the few contenders as it is, I highly doubt the IOC even has the option for a double awarding for 2026 and 2030.

With Oslo pretty much giving the IOC the middle finger last time, & Stockholm saying no (again) back in April, & now Innsbruck bailing, the IOC's hope of a traditional host for 2026 is virtually out the window. Cuz Sion's prospects aren't looking especially good after all of this & when you factor in the Swiss government's apprehension for full support. Not to mention that eastern Switzerland (Graubunden) having already said no to 2026 earlier in the year, too. Tisk tisk IOC, whacha gonna do now, besides bite your fingernails.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

We could still get a Calgary/Salt Lake (or vice versa) combo-deal meal! :lol:

I don't see a 2026-2030 double allocation without a European city in the mix.  If Sion drops out of the 2026 race, it'll go to Calgary or Salt Lake or whichever city is left standing, and the IOC will regroup and try to engage Europe for 2030.  If 2026 doesn't go to the U.S., the IOC can be fairly certain that they'll have a U.S. bid to fall back on in 2030 anyway.

But at this point, nothing would surprise me, and I do think there is a decent chance of 3 straight Games in North America from 2026-30.

13 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

But at this point, nothing would surprise me, and I do think there is a decent chance of 3 straight Games in North America from 2026-30.

I have this feeling too. With 3 consecutive Games in Asia, then Paris, then 3 consecutive Games in North America, Paris will feel like quite a breathe of fresh air 

44 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

I don't see a 2026-2030 double allocation without a European city in the mix.  If Sion drops out of the 2026 race, it'll go to Calgary or Salt Lake or whichever city is left standing, and the IOC will regroup and try to engage Europe for 2030.  If 2026 doesn't go to the U.S., the IOC can be fairly certain that they'll have a U.S. bid to fall back on in 2030 anyway.

Oh, I agree. I was being more facetious than serious (hence the lol emoji). But at the same time, it's not like the IOC can be reassured about much these days, especially when it comes to Europe. I don't hold much faith over Sion (or Switzerland in general, considering their failed Olympic bid track record. And their recently failed Graubunden attempt).

I was actually a bit more optimistic over Innsbruck than Sion. But now that it's been debunked, what could puny Sion (relatively speaking) do what much larger Innsbruck didn't want to do. At this point, the IOC's only saving grace for a "traditional" European (Alpine) host is Milan (as outside a chance that was at first. And if they decide to indeed move forward). But even there, they face a lot of the challenges of what a Denver bid would face here, particularly when it comes to the mountain cluster.

I think that Innsbruck was the key in order for another double (winter) allocation to have moved forward (with another North American pick). But now that Innbruck 2026 is merely a whistle in the wind, then yeah, I don't see the IOC picking two winter slots simultaneously next time out, either.

1 hour ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

Oh, I agree. I was being more facetious than serious (hence the lol emoji). But at the time, it's not like the IOC can be reassured about much these, especially when it comes to Europe. I don't have much faith over Sion (or Switzerland in general, for that matter, considering their failed Olympic bidS track record. Not to mention their recently failed Graubunden attempt, too). 

I was actually a bit more optimistic with Innsbruck than Sion. But now that it's been debunked, what could puny Sion (relatively speaking) do what much larger Innsbruck didn't want to do. At this point, the IOC's only saving grace for a "traditional" European (Alpine) host is Milan (as outside a chance that was at first. And if they even decide to move forward, that is). But even there, they face a lot of the challenges of what a Denver bid would face here, particularly when it comes to the mountain cluster.

I think that Innsbruck was the key in order for another double (winter) allocation to have moved forward with another North American pick. But now that Innsbruck 2026 is merely a whistle in the wind after today, then yeah, I don't see the IOC picking two winter slots simultaneously next time out, either.

I would love to see another European Winter games, but it looks like Rio and Sochi have cities scared stiff right now.

The IOC desperately needs a well-organized, well-attended, on-budget Games that doesn't have legacy issues. I think this scenario would bring back some of these cities that have been so skittish the last couple of years. But when will this happen? Paris? LA?

5 hours ago, scooter133 said:

I would love to see another European Winter games, but it looks like Rio and Sochi have cities scared stiff right now.

The IOC desperately needs a well-organized, well-attended, on-budget Games that doesn't have legacy issues. I think this scenario would bring back some of these cities that have been so skittish the last couple of years. But when will this happen? Paris? LA?

Winter Games have, in a sense, even more problems than Summer Games- you can't use student accommodation for the Athletes' Village, and worse, the Games must inevitably use the facilities of an existing high-status winter resort (thereby cutting off its normal income stream and probably some of its employment opportunities) unless you want to create a new high-status winter resort from an undeveloped area of natural beauty ...

The problem is (as in the Summer Games), they keep adding on MORE and MORE events (like those very cinematic X-country and BMX races) -- except they cut a very large footprint on the landscape and just makes it seem that they're padding the programme.  Why not just stick to basic sports and, like before, just feature, "demonstration" sports, tweaked a la the CWG formula?  The programme for BOTH Olympic Games are sooooooooo BLOATED and the IOC can't see that.  It will be their downfall.  

And the more events you add, the greater the chances of the Russians competing and JUST MUCKING up the whole works since they are no longer the dominant force in the sports world -- but will do anything and everything just to muck up the old order.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, i'll just relax and wait when the US eventually save the Olympics again in less than 2 years.

What can I say that it hasn't been said already? The monolithic organization that is the IOC needs to wake up and smell the coffee, but I guess they're too stubborn and greedy for that. 

On October 15, 2017 at 6:19 PM, FYI said:

I think that Innsbruck was the key in order for another double (winter) allocation to have moved forward with another North American pick. But now that Innsbruck 2026 is merely a whistle in the wind after today, then yeah, I don't see the IOC picking two winter slots simultaneously next time out, either.

I would the double awarding is dead but if Calgary somehow stays in the race (skeptical even with Nenshi's re-election. If you don't want to fund a new ice hockey arena then how are you going to fund an Olympics?) and the USOC puts forward a candidate for 2026 then I could see the IOC going with a double awarding despite the fact it would mean three straight Olympics in North America. What choice does the IOC have? Right now the traditional winter powers of Europe are saying no. If the COC and USOC have two strong bids it would be hard seeing the IOC saying no one of them in the 2026 race.

27 minutes ago, stryker said:

I would the double awarding is dead but if Calgary somehow stays in the race and the USOC puts forward a candidate for 2026 then I could see the IOC going with a double awarding despite the fact it would mean three straight Olympics in North America. What choice does the IOC have? Right now the traditional winter powers of Europe are saying no. If the COC and USOC have two strong bids it would be hard seeing the IOC saying no one of them in the 2026 race.

Without traditional Europe in the picture, which is what the IOC really, really wants right now, I think that they'd be willing to gamble to see what could come about for 2030 in that part of the world. You just posted in the other thread about what Pound said in regards to Innsbruck's withdrawal. So if that's the case, then I don't see them being as rational this time out if that means awarding the same continent twice at the same time just bcuz "what other choice do they have".

Plus, what would be trickier this time out, what happens when Almaty & Erzurum (or even Saporro) are also the in the mix? You know that they aren't gonna go anywhere (ie "referendums") & will cry foul if two "Anglo" bids on the same continent get picked at the same time while they get left in the dust. 

Lets remember that was even a point of contention when Budapest was still in the 2024 picture only a few months before they finally withdrew. Once they did, though, the IOC didn't have anymore obstacles for a double-lock & that's what they did. It's possible the IOC could still do that again, but without one of those spots going to Europe, then I see them holding more reservations on it this time out (all things considered), unless they ultimately believe that traditional winter-sports Europe has finally closed the door on them. And even then, they'd more than likely still be in denial. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Without traditional Europe in the picture, which is what the IOC really, really wants right now, I think that they'd be willing to gamble to see what could come about for 2030 in that part of the world. You just posted in the other thread about what Pound said in regards to Innsbruck's withdrawal. So if that's the case, then I don't see them being as rational this time out if that means awarding the same continent twice at the same time just bcuz "what other choice do they have".

Plus, what would be trickier this time out, what happens when Almaty & Erzurum (or even Saporro) are also the in the mix? You know that they aren't gonna go anywhere (ie "referendums") & will cry foul if two "Anglo" bids on the same continent get picked at the same time while they get left in the dust. 

Lets remember that was even a point of contention when Budapest was still in the 2024 picture only a few months before they finally withdrew. Once they did, though, the IOC didn't have anymore obstacles for a double-lock & that's what they did. It's possible the IOC could still do that again, but without one of those spots going to Europe, then I see them holding more reservations on it this time out (all things considered), unless they ultimately believe that traditional winter-sports Europe has finally closed the door on them. And even then, they'd more than likely still be in denial. 

Agreed. They won't double award Canada and America. 

I don't know if the IOC could afford to turn down both a U.S. bid and Calgary bid as long as those were the only two left standing. If Almaty and Sapporo are in the race then I think it becomes more difficult. I also don't think 2030 would be any more beneficial for a European bid. As it stands now, what incentive is there for a traditional European bid (one that can actually pass a dreaded referendum). Maybe the IOC starts some backroom conversations with the NOC to see if perhaps a French bid could be interested (I'm sure that 2018 Annecy bid would look good right now). Austria is out. Switzerland has a horrid track record of enough voters saying yes in a referendum. Same with Germany. After the scorching of Norway by the IOC after Oslo's withdrawal in the 2022 race I don't think the Norwegians will be bidding for a while. Sweden can't get government backing for a Stockholm bid. Realistically who's left in terms of Europe as far as traditional winter bid goes? Milan with Cortina d'Ampezzo?

Well, that's just it. I don't see see SLC & Calgary being the only ones left standing this time out (& if anything, Calgary is on a bit of shaky ground). There's likely going to be a couple of Asian entrants. And if one of those is Sapporo, I don't see the IOC just glossing over the Japanese. 

As for Annecy, I don't see the French doing it. Unlike the U.S., I'm sure that they're going to be focused on Paris 2024 (as they should be) & may not want to rock the boat with the French citizenry with too much Olympic overload. At this point, Milan is only other possible realistic Euro option. But even there, they'll have many obstacles to overcome, too.

19 minutes ago, FYI said:

. At this point, Milan is only other possible realistic Euro option. 

Yeah, but the luge/bobsleigh track of Torino 2006 already closed down.  So; not unless they can just re-open that venue for a Milano run.  

Zaragosa, Spain, hello??  Oh wait, they have to settle the Catalan question first.  

1 minute ago, stryker said:

I remember when the Torino track shut down. I thought there was still a sliding track at Cortina?

But that one will be 70 years old by 2026, and is on the opposite side of northern Italy.  Milano and Torino are on the western side of north Italy.   Cortina is NE, closer to the Austrian border and Venice.