Los Angeles 2028 Logo Comp - Ceremonie d'annonce/Announcement Ceremony

Welcome to Spaghetti Junc...I mean La-La Land!

Thank you to the cast of the aforementioned Oscar-hoover for getting us started.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Madames et Monsieurs, good evening & welcome to the Dolby Theater here on Hollywood Boulevard, home of the Oscars, where we are gathered to crown Best Picture (literally) in this summer half of the 11th GamesBids Olympic Logo Comp.  I hope you have enjoyed taking part & voting, & our trip around the iconic landmarks of this City of Angels. Get used to them, they'll be seen a lot more in 11 years. Again, as per tradition, I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who entered. Designing an Olympic logo is a tough game, & even more so for this site's famously discerning audience. Talking of whom, thanks to you as well, as we can't have a comp without voters. The Academy has nothing on you. There are always disputes and controversies about the Oscars, but this comp always has a transparently elected winner. 

And to announce that winner of Best Picture, please welcome to the stage The 45th President of the United States of America!

Donald Duck.svg

Wrong Donald. Oh, Trump's here now:

Image result for donald trump

Trump: Hello, hello everybody, great to see such a crowd here. Let me tell you for certain, this is without doubt the biggest audience for a logo comp announcement EVER. EVER! And it's good to see the covfefe this is getting on the FAKE NEWS channels around the world, all seeing what a winner I am, yeah, a winner. Anyway, I have to go build some countries then nuke a wall. I think that's it. So the winner...the winner, of Best Puss...I mean Best Pict...I mean this...thing, is:

37441976841_bb634e4c02_o.jpg

Woo...hoo...itsme...83!

los_angeles_2028_by_humdoodee-dbko8q5.pn

Yoshi: Thank you Mr President. If you could maybe keep off Twitter for a bit, that'd be great - with 280 characters now, that's twice the space to cause Armageddon with. Anyway, before we all start glowing in the dark...Congratulations @woohooitsme83! It's a US home win, as Woohoo takes his second title, & first summer victory. You now take another place on the roll of honour, & maybe even the odd Google Image Search over the next decade or so. To finish the admin, the final result of Round 6 was A: 7 B: 8. The margin was smaller than Trump's...hands, but it was still enough to confirm victory. 

And that is that from LA, & from me, for this 11th GB Logo Comp. I must once again thank @Sir Rols for starting all the rounds up & giving us that image of the Donald doing something that looks sufficiently like awarding an Oscar to not make this ridiculous. Thanks again :) And to all participants in both parts too - I know this has been a bit lower-profile than previous events but hopefully you have enjoyed taking part & voting - I know I've enjoyed hosting it.

As for now, well, we're on Hollywood Boulevard! Where could be better for a huge end-of-comp party? Let's end this comp how we started it - after all, we're gonna need to love LA over the next 11 years:

LA will see you again in 2028!

• Thanks 1

Congrats Woohoo! Well done and well deserved.

I was really torn at the end there - I've long been a Davey design fan and he sure presented one up to his usual standard here. I did vote for it in one round. But when it came to the nitty gritty, I plumped for Woohoo's - it seemed to me it would work better within an entire "look" for the games. I would have preferred a simpler 2028 logotype, but that's just taste. All round it was a classy logo. The two best definitely fought it out at the end.

And good on you Yoshi. Well done for keeping up the tradition. I wasn't totally divorced from proceedings here, but it was nice to relax a bit and nd a respectable roster of entries and voters to make it all legit. I had my doubts, but you proved me wrong.

Congratulations to woohooitsme.....that was interesting watching the momentum go back and forth. I think you described the inspiration as a cross between a hot dog and an angel...it was hard to resist after that.

Nice job Yoshi....wow that was a lot of work! p.s. wasn't there one vote in the final that should have been disqualified.....a guy who just happened to join the same day he voted?

Congratulations to woohooitsme83 it was a hard fought contest. How many times have I been the bridesmaid! Ha ha

Great competition as always guys, you put a lot of effort in and we all appreciate it.

Officially I retired last year but I may see you in 2018 : )

14 hours ago, daveypodmore said:

Congratulations to woohooitsme83 it was a hard fought contest. How many times have I been the bridesmaid! Ha ha

Great competition as always guys, you put a lot of effort in and we all appreciate it.

Officially I retired last year but I may see you in 2018 : )

you were robbed. 

this competition was awful.

it was the worst one I've ever seen on here and there were some truly bad ones back in the day when that 15 year old mr. x acolyte ryan or whatever was running them. 

but your sun logo was one of the best any competition has ever produced ever. far better than the typical paint-by-numbers paul entries we get these days.

speaking of paint-by-numbers, yoshi, please don't ever run another competition again. you may legitimately kill this forum, and anyone who's spent five minutes on here over the past few months knows that's not even an exaggeration. 

D- and that's being generous.

• Haha 1

Shhhhhhhh I finally have time now that it's the weekend

Thank you all for your kind words, I really don't know what to say haha. Contrary to what some others  may think, I think this year's competition was great; I loved the beautiful gradients in Bernham's, I loved how incredibly well Paul ran his unconventional theme, I loved the perfection and polish of Davey's, I loved the tacky cliche of Rol's star, and how "American" Glacib's logo feels. And as for David's? Hey, I'm a sucker for the Dodgers :P 

It was a tight race, and I feel honored that mines somehow pulled through till the end. Thanks, guys!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be trademarking my little hot dog so I'll be able to charge the IOC some big bucks later on ;) 

PS. Nevermind the babbling cabbage, Yoshi. I think you ran the comp wonderfully :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I am baffled. 

Seriously - the most appropriate and clever logo (but yes - also a bit obvious) we have seen in years goes down to a blobby, over-complicated fluoro 80's nightmare...

Taste is subjective however.

But yay for WooHoo.

Yes, it was clever- but it was presented for our approval as, mostly, finely-detailed yellow on a white background, which greatly reduced its impact. Also, reproduced at small sizes on product packaging, the fine lettering would not have been legible.

I always saw it that when it went really small they became the sun rays and didn't need to be read.

I sent the logo to the people at LA2028 saying it was a little project that I'd like to show them, got nothing back, not even a thank's for taking the time. So I hope their games are a disaster.

Only joking ; ) It will be interesting to see what they come up with and when they reveal it as they have such a long lead up

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...