Broad

Olympia

In Atlanta the total incomes were 1705 milion dollar. 559 milion was from the television-rights. That's 32 %. That's not changed a lot for the Sydney and Athens games

where did you get these figures?  From the Official result?  That $559 million, I take it?, seems pretty low for the broadcast part of the revenue pie.

In Atlanta the total incomes were 1705 milion dollar. 559 milion was from the television-rights. That's 32 %. That's not changed a lot for the Sydney and Athens games

where did you get these figures?  From the Official result?  That $559 million, I take it?, seems pretty low for the broadcast part of the revenue pie.

It was from a magzine:

Title: Atlanta and the Olympics: A one year retrospective

Written by M Disher and S. Frensh

Journal of the American planning association

1997, issue 3, page 379-393

Here a the figures:

Income

- Broadcast                 559.50

- US marketing             462.50

- Int. marketing             77.60

- Tickets sale               422.00

- Others                      151.60

TOTAL INCOME           1705.20

Outcome

- Adminstration             196.37

- Constructions (roads)   562.73

- Projects (venues)        946.10

TOTAL OUTCOME          1705.20

As you notice, this is a budget for the games. It are not the final figures.

That's a strange article though.  It says a "One-year Retrospective" which means that it's discussing things that have already happened.  Yet, as you say, it's discussing the budget ...which has an allocation for 'Roads'?   :hmm:  That's an item usually attributed to the county or state since it is an infrastructure improvement rather than a venue.  

I do know however, that when final figures were tallied 6 months after, ACOG claimed a $10 million 'profit.'

That's a strange article though.  It says a "One-year Retrospective" which means that it's discussing things that have already happened.  Yet, as you say, it's discussing the budget ...which has an allocation for 'Roads'?   :hmm:  That's an item usually attributed to the county or state since it is an infrastructure improvement rather than a venue.  

I do know however, that when final figures were tallied 6 months after, ACOG claimed a $10 million 'profit.'

Roads are included because this is the working-budget of the organisation commitee. They made a budget of all the cost and incomes. Some of the cost of transport are payed by the goverment, but some costs were covered by the incomes. Like the '84 Games in LA the goverment in Atlanta didn't play a big role. The OC was responsible for the most things of the games.

The article is more about the effects of the Games and use this budget as a start.

Yeah, but over half a billion dollars for roads?  There's NO WAY that was a realistic set of figures those writers worked from.  

I've just moved so I have a lot of my records and books still in boxes.  But once I'm a little more settled, I will pull them out and look at the Atlanta figures more closely.  ACOG was in the business of staging the Games -- not building roads for the county and state of Georgia.  Except for 4 or 5 venues, all 2 dozen of the other venues were well within existing road networks; so I don't see how those guys picked up a $526 million dollar figure?

Here a the figures:

Income

- Broadcast                 559.50

- US marketing             462.50

- Int. marketing             77.60

- Tickets sale               422.00

- Others                      151.60

TOTAL INCOME           1705.20

Outcome

- Adminstration             196.37

- Constructions (roads)   562.73

- Projects (venues)        946.10

TOTAL OUTCOME          1705.20

As you notice, this is a budget for the games. It are not the final figures.

Construction cost is also about the other transport. The capacity of the airport was increased. And during the Games the bus transport of the athletes and press cost a lot of money. That was also in these cost.

Sorry for not mention that is the other posts.

Archived