London - Birmingham Joint Bid for 2032

BloomDoom24

I would love to see a Joint Summer Olympic Bid from London and Birmingham for the 2032 Summer Olympics. My Idea is below

Concept

The Two cities would jointly host events in existing venues with some venues adding temporary seating in order to keep costs down for the organisers.

London Venues.

Olympic Stadium (London) - 66,000 - Athletics, Opening and Closing Ceremonies

London Aquatics Centre- 2,500 (Increase to 17,500) - Swimming and Diving Events

Lee Valley VeloPark (Velodrome) - 6,750 

Lee Valley VeloPark (BMX Track) - 6,000 (temporary seats) 

A Temporary Olympic Press and Broadcast Centre. 

Horse Guards Parade - 15,000 (temporary seats) - Beach Volleyball

Crystal Palace National Sports Centre - Training Venue for Athletes and Potential Olympics Village 

Regent's Park - Road Cycling, Baseball and Softball - 10,000 (temporary seats) 

Hyde Park - Triathlon 

Lord's Cricket Ground - Archery 

Twickenham Stoop - 14,816 - Rugby 7s

Copper Box Arena - 7,500 - Handball

All England Tennis and Croquet Club - Tennis

Greenwich Park - Equestrianism

O2 Arena - Basketball - 17,500

ExCel - Boxing - 5,000

Birmingham Venues:

National Exhibition Centre - 5,000 - Fencing,Judo, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Table Tennis and Possible Secondary Olympic Village

Genting Arena- 15,000 Gymnastics 

Barclaycard Arena - 15,000 Badminton 

Sandwell Aquatics Centre - 5,000 - Water Polo

Forest of Arden Hotel and Country Club - Golf

Venues Not In London Or Birmingham:

Weald Country Park, Essex - Mountain biking

Broxbourne, Hertfordshire - Canoe/Kayak Slalom

Dorney Lake, Buckinghamshire, - rowing and canoe/kayak flatwater.

National Shooting Centre (Surrey) - Shooting

Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy, Weymouth - Sailing events

Football (Soccer) Venues

Ricoh Arena, Coventry - 32,500 (M/W Prelims)

King Power Stadium, Leicester - 32,000 (M/W Prelims)

City Ground, Nottingham - 30,445 (M/W Prelims)

Bramall Lane, Sheffield - 32,702 (M/W Prelims) 

Villa Park, Birmingham - 42,682 (M/W Bronze Medal Matches)

Wembley Stadium, London - 90,653 (M/W Finals)

Key Transportation Points

• HS2 could potentially help with the bid because London and Birmingham will be just 49 mins away. Phase 1 (London - Birmingham) is due to open in 2026, Phase 2 (in 2032.
  • Crossrail could be another positive, as this connects Stratford with Heathrow airport in just 43 mins
  • Heathrow Airport expansion would be complete by 2030 and would be able to connect to Central London via Crossrail in just 39 minutes and allowing more international and dometic flights to arrive.
  • Birmingham also has an extensive transport hub and is very accessible with the cross city rail line linking the city to major hubs including Wolverhampton, Birmingham New Street and along to the airport. (Birmingham International and Birmingham Interchange)

Hotel Capacity Key Points

• London has a hotel capacity of 138,769. exceeding the IOC's requirements. This is expected to grow by 17,769 in the coming years bringing the total capacity in London to 156,538
  • Birmingham also has around 15 hotels on the site of the NEC, as well as across the city.

What do you all think of my idea?

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

So.. you basically took the London 2012 plan and moved a couple of venues to Birmingham.  This is extremely unoriginal.  I don't understand what the point of this is for something you know as well as the rest of us you're not going to see.

It was only an idea of mine, I know its very unlikely to happen but could be possible in the future due to the reforms to the IOC.

Not sure why a London bid in future would involve Birmingham.

But reading your post I've realised we're now in a very similar situation to Rio with regard to main stadiums. 60k London Stadium might be a bit on the small side for ceremonies so maybe have those at Wembley instead.

Also, for fun, why not stage the football in London only too. Wembley for the final, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea with 60k stadiums, Palace, Charlton, Fulham with 25-30k stadiums.

7s obviously at Twickenham (come on, we can do better than the Stoop surely?)

24 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Not sure why a London bid in future would involve Birmingham.

But reading your post I've realised we're now in a very similar situation to Rio with regard to main stadiums. 60k London Stadium might be a bit on the small side for ceremonies so maybe have those at Wembley instead.

Also, for fun, why not stage the football in London only too. Wembley for the final, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea with 60k stadiums, Palace, Charlton, Fulham with 25-30k stadiums.

7s obviously at Twickenham (come on, we can do better than the Stoop surely?)

I think having the opening and closing ceremonies at Wembley could be a good option especially because the London Stadium will likely be used for West Ham matches as soon as the four week window is up.

I think involving Birmingham could bridge over the North-South Divide especially.

I think having All of the Football In London would be the best option especially due to the size of the stadiums being built in the city.

The stoop in terms of the rugby 7s would be more viable, the last thing I would like to see is some 40,000-50,000 empty seats at Twickenham

I also think Birmingham getting involved will actually make it an Nationwide Celebration.

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I don't understand what the point of this is for something you know as well as the rest of us you're not going to see.

For better or for worse, "Is this possible", "WHat do you think of my idea" and "Ciould this happen" is all we've got for the next eight years.

Well, actually, we could all post our lists of Olympic Hosts for the next 100 years.

Edited by Sir Rols

I imagine at some point, London will join the ranks of Los Angeles and Paris and host the Olympics for a third time. One of the great things abut that prospect is London doesn't need to partner with a city like Birmingham to pull it off. It has the finances and the infrastructure to do it on their own. Much like Los Angeles is doing for 2028, you'll see a future London bid utilize many of the same venues that were used in 2012.

3 hours ago, stryker said:

Let me rephrase that. London will become the first four time host. Math was never my strong point. 

London is actually one of the few cities from the Olympics in the modern era that has learnt from sustainability, the Olympic Stadium is now used for concerts and just recently hosted the world athletics championships, The Aquatics centre has recently hosted diving and is open to the public, The Copper Box Arena is now used for Basketball and other events like Boxing the list goes on.

But with costs becoming more expensive and very few cities being no longer able to bid alone without significant costs, Dont be surprised if London were to go for it.

As many other posters have said, London doesn't need Birmingham, it can do it by itself. Especially considering when Manchester's bid was rejected in the early stages of the 2012 bidding, the IOC stating that it would only consider bids from London, I do not think they would turn down Manchester, a city who could likely pull an Atlanta-like Olympics off, but accept a joint bid between a city fully capable of hosting alone, and another city in England, just for the sake of combining two cities. London very well may go again, I would certainly love to see it, and can easily see the OC in Wembley, 7s in Twickenham, and many of the 2012 venues reutilized, but I personally do not see a joing London/Birmingham bid going through. 

• 2 months later...

Manchester is the only other viable UK Olympic city. Can't swing a hand bag there without hitting a bid stadium or arena. The uk won't see another olypics for at least 50 years unless one drops in to our laps like Paris / LA. 2030s surely a good time for next Aussie games - Melbourne 2032 is a mouthwatering prospect.

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Australia can actually make up three Virginia’s. Texas is the only U.S. state that is equivalent (& still a bit larger) in terms of population. 

Exactly- so in the whole of Oceania, there's effectively only one nation which can ever host the Olympics (further complicated by the fact that New Zealand might be able to host the Winter Olympics, but only if they were held in America's summer).

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Exactly- so in the whole of Oceania, there's effectively only one nation which can ever host the Olympics (further complicated by the fact that New Zealand might be able to host the Winter Olympics, but only if they were held in America's summer).

The point being? Then you get Africa, with a tremendously greater population and a vaster array of countries, and yet it could be argued that none still could effectively host the Olympics (at least at the present time - I still live in hope it’s not a case of never ever). All I guess it shows is that Olympic capability is far less a matter of population and far more a matter of prosperity and development.

On 23/12/2017 at 4:58 AM, Sir Rols said:

The point being? Then you get Africa, with a tremendously greater population and a vaster array of countries, and yet it could be argued that none still could effectively host the Olympics (at least at the present time - I still live in hope it’s not a case of never ever). All I guess it shows is that Olympic capability is far less a matter of population and far more a matter of prosperity and development.

It's not so much what it shows, as how it skews people's perception of Olympic hosting. There is no particular reason why Australia should host SOGs almost as often as Canada hosts either summer or winter, except that Canada is "in North America".

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

It's not so much what it shows, as how it skews people's perception of Olympic hosting. There is no particular reason why Australia should host SOGs almost as often as Canada hosts either summer or winter, except that Canada is "in North America".

I still don’t get your point. Do you feel Australia has hosted too many SOGs? Or, well, what? 

I’d say the particular reason Oz has hosted two (which is not that many, plenty of nations have hosted multiples) is that it’s a relatively prosperous nation, has a distinctive sporting culture, a tradition of building and supporting sporting infrastructure, and has sought for its chances to host. Just like Canada, which has its own distinctive sporting culture (a bit more winter oriented) and dedication to supporting such infrastructure and a desire to host such events.

One might just as well say there’s no particular reason a city like London should host SOGs as often as the entire continent of Asia, or that countries like the USA should host SOGs or WOGs almost every decade or two. Beyond the fact they can and they’ve wanted to. And that countries like Oz, Canada, the UK and the USA have usually done a pretty good job of it when they’ve done so. What’s the problem?

14 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

If you haven't noticed of late...The IOC are beggers, not choosers with the way they have their bloated structure operating. The Winter games are starting to disappear into really strange places and I wouldn't be surprised if the IOC settles on a permanent venue circuit in Europe. 

As for the Summer games, well not an issue for another six years and the World could be a totally different place by then. Australia could easily be the 2032 host unless one of the Emirates shows up with a bigger wallet. As for the Anglo and Western European countries analogy...It's proof that shows. In the post LA commercial era only Greece has failed in legacy venues. All others have reused and re-manufactured facilities as time moves on. The ones that truly stand out are Atlanta, Sydney, and London with facilities that had already been spoken for in the planning stage. Sydney's Olympic Stadium is about to start on it's third incarnation with yet another major refurb - and it looks even better. 

Edited by Alexjc
grammer.

On 12/25/2017 at 1:59 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

There is no particular reason why Australia should host SOGs almost as often as Canada hosts either summer or winter

tenor.gif

Sir Rols mentioned several reasons already as to why Australia "should" host as often, if not more, summer games than Canada. Their Summer Olympic medal count vastly outnumbers that of Canada. Australia has also done a better job at hosting Summer Olympic games and even organizing bids for them. Montreal still has that uglyass eyesore stadium that is all but abandoned now. And Toronto has continued to fail year after year of organizing a decent enough bid that will ultimately lose to far better bids. 

Also, it's not whether they should/should not host as much as any other country. If they're ready and willing to host, and they put forth a good bid, hopefully better than the rest of the competition, then shouldn't the best and/or safest bid, as well one that could offer a whole lot to the olympic experience, be the one to win the right to host, regardless of how many times they've previously hosted? Also, hosting the SOG twice (44yrs apart) in 121 years isn't really a reason to make such a statement either.

I would make the same argument for anyone who would think Canada shouldn't host as many wog, if not more than any other country.