Golf in the Summer Olympics

What do you think about Golf being held as a sport being held in the Summer Olympics? Although Golf was in the 1900 Olympics in Paris and 1904 in St. Louis, Golf has not played in any Summer Olympics after St. Louis. Since Golf is such an international game being played all over the world which include places like Minnesota (USA), South Africa, and England, and golfers come from all over the world including Tiger Woods (USA), Sergio García (Spain), Chi-Chi Rodríguez (Puerto Rico), and Annika Sorenstam (Sweden).

I do believe that Golf should be reinstated as an Olymipic Sport because golfers come from all over the world and it would be interesting to see golfers compete to win medals over trophies and it should be medals awarded to both professional and amateurs golfers.

Do you honestly believe that golf should become an Olympic Sport? If so, do you think it would be successful

What do you think about Golf being held as a sport being held in the Summer Olympics? Although Golf was in the 1900 Olympics in Paris and 1904 in St. Louis, Golf has not played in any Summer Olympics after St. Louis. Since Golf is such an international game being played all over the world which include places like Minnesota (USA), South Africa, and England, and golfers come from all over the world including Tiger Woods (USA), Sergio García (Spain), Chi-Chi Rodríguez (Puerto Rico), and Annika Sorenstam (Sweden).

I do believe that Golf should be reinstated as an Olymipic Sport because golfers come from all over the world and it would be interesting to see golfers compete to win medals over trophies and it should be medals awarded to both professional and amateurs golfers.

Do you honestly believe that golf should become an Olympic Sport? If so, do you think it would be successful

Been discussed before, Joseph.  Please do a search before starting these new topics.

But I'll sum up the consensus for you:  the majority here are for golf in the Summer Olympics when Minneapolis gets the Games.  How's that?   :wink:

If Tiger Woods supports it, then so do I. if not, then I don't think i do. the top players in the game have to consider the olympics to be at least just below the level of the majors in order for golf to be successful in the olympics. cuz why would you replace one bust(baseball) for another?

Come on dont talk like amateurs who have never been on a golf course in their life and who think golf is "game" and not a sport (those who think so have never practiced it) made for old wealthy men. Golf is a sport that requires strengh, all the people who have tried to lift a golf club and to hit a golf ball with it perfectly know it. It also requires a lot of concentration, agility, dexterity and a lot of skill. And, Kendegra, if you call golf" a game" and think that golfers arent athletes then you must think the same about archery or shooting; those who play theses sports never run, they just focalize on a target they have to hit. You probably think that these arent sports either, but "games". But let me recall you that they're olympic sports so there's no reason why golf should join them.

As for the golf players' wages, I dont see why they should be paid less than other athletes. That would just be unfair.

I would be for the inclusion of golf in the olympic programme ONLY if many of the world's best players would commit to participating in the tournament.  I think that with good players, golf could actually be an enjoyable event (though personally I think it is quite boring to watch).  Venue wise, golf wouldn't be much of a problem, as most "olympic quality" cities have golf courses nearby.

For the most part, golf is a game for boring business men who wear ugly clothing and have flabby guts.

Like every game, it has its experts.  But for the average Joe, golf is a game.

For a sport like archery, the Olympics is the ultimate prize.  For a game like golf, the Olympics is a trip overseas for a little trinket.

For the most part, golf is a game for boring business men who wear ugly clothing and have flabby guts.

Like every game, it has its experts.  But for the average Joe, golf is a game.

For a sport like archery, the Olympics is the ultimate prize.  For a game like golf, the Olympics is a trip overseas for a little trinket.

Oh please are you working for "clichés-radio"? Anyone could tell by the way you speak you've never been on a golf course in your life, you would see other kind of people than 'ugly buisinessmen'. I'm prefectly 19 years old and I used to do golf, so still do some of my friends. I also got  a friend in the US who does golf at a quite high level, who's only 17. So please...let's not let the conversation level fall as low as uneducated people's one in tacky bars with this kind of clichés.

What you say about archery is the same for other olympic sports like tennis for example. Most tennis players dont care about the olympics and find the 4 grand slam tournaments much more important. The olympics is a small trip for them too. Yet tennis matches are great to watch during the olympics. So I still can't see why golf shouldnt join.

So I still can't see why golf shouldnt join.

Because they JUST rejected it this past July - along with a few other sports.  

Are you Joseph's sister, Cordelia?

Golf didn't even stand out amongst the considered sports.    

Think about it: who's really running the Games - people here or the IOC?    :rolleyes:

I have been on a golf course and I see the business dealings there all the time.  As I said, there are those in golf that are experts but for the most part it is business people doing business dealings and business networking on the courses.  That is the reason the game is so big now.  A guy like Tiger Woods makes it attractive but a bunch of accountants at PricewaterhouseCoopers, bankers from Citibank and lawyers from Baker & MacKenzie make it a venue for business dealings and they are the ones that make up the golf market for memberships, golf items and new courses.

I'm also against tennis at the Olympics.  Wimbledon, the US, French and Australian Opens are much bigger events in tennis than the Olympic tournament.

The Olympics are the ultimate for sports such as track, gymnastics and rowing.

I'm also against tennis at the Olympics.  Wimbledon, the US, French and Australian Opens are much bigger events in tennis than the Olympic tournament.

Does this mean that we should drop all sports, that's highest prize is not an olympic medal, from the programme?  While tennis' highest prize may not be the olympic medal, that does not mean that the sport's best players do not participate and do well.  Just look at the women's gold medal winners since tennis was reintroduced into the programme.  1988--Graf; 1992--Capriati; 1996--Davenport; 2000--Venus Williams; 2004--Henin-Hardenne.  These are pretty big names.  I do think that it is a shame, however, when top players do not participate in events, like tennis; it doesn't help the sport's image.

The olympics should be an event that celebrates all sports, not just those sports that you never hear about in between the games.   :)

Does this mean that we should drop all sports, that's highest prize is not an olympic medal, from the programme?  While tennis' highest prize may not be the olympic medal, that does not mean that the sport's best players do not participate and do well.  Just look at the women's gold medal winners since tennis was reintroduced into the programme.  1988--Graf; 1992--Capriati; 1996--Davenport; 2000--Venus Williams; 2004--Henin-Hardenne.  These are pretty big names.  I do think that it is a shame, however, when top players do not participate in events, like tennis; it doesn't help the sport's image.

The olympics should be an event that celebrates all sports, not just those sports that you never hear about in between the games.   :)

well, it's a free world.  People aren't FORCED to participate if they don't want to.  That's their individual choice.

As for "...all sports...," archie, if you're trying to host an Olympic Games, I am sure you will understand the dilemna host cities face in limiting costs.  You can only build so many venues and host so many events.  Golf just doesn't cut it.

So I still can't see why golf shouldnt join.

Because they JUST rejected it this past July - along with a few other sports.  

Are you Joseph's sister, Cordelia?

Golf didn't even stand out amongst the considered sports.    

Think about it: who's really running the Games - people here or the IOC?    :rolleyes:

I KNOW THEY DID, THANK YOU AND NO NEED TO SHOUT...I can't understand what makes you so rude and aggressive...Are you frustrated for any reason?

I know people here dont rule the Games but saying that there's no reason according to me why golf shouldnt join isnt in itself an intention to rule them. Nothing more but an opinion, so cool down.

And I'm not Joseph's sister. I dont have any brother by the way and I dont why you're asking this (senseless) question.  ???

In the great days of yore, an athlete competed at the amateur level, struck glory at the Olympics and then moved on to a successful professional career.

Now everyone wants to see Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky and Tiger Woods and Andre Aggasi at the Olympics?  I think it just gets to be too much having to see millionaire Western athletes walk about with sticks up their arse next to poor athletes from Africa who are there for the love of sport and country...not love of money, ego and marketing opportunity.

well, it's a free world.  People aren't FORCED to participate if they don't want to.  That's their individual choice.

As for "...all sports...," archie, if you're trying to host an Olympic Games, I am sure you will understand the dilemna host cities face in limiting costs.  You can only build so many venues and host so many events.  Golf just doesn't cut it.

There several reasons not to have golf in the program(including the question of having too many events) but the venue issue wouldn't seem to be a problem, since almost every bidding city has some existing golf courses.

In the great days of yore, an athlete competed at the amateur level, struck glory at the Olympics and then moved on to a successful professional career.

Now everyone wants to see Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky and Tiger Woods and Andre Aggasi at the Olympics?  I think it just gets to be too much having to see millionaire Western athletes walk about with sticks up their arse next to poor athletes from Africa who are there for the love of sport and country...not love of money, ego and marketing opportunity.

i find that somewhat insulting

even though track is "ametuer" the golden league and the olympics are the prinicle of the sport, there is no higher, they are the best, they are the pros of athletics

same with all the other sports

The Olympics are the best of sport, and if the best of sport are pros they should compete

Millionaire Western Athletes, so they are not millionaire Russian or Eastern European athletes, what about the sh!thead Keyneans that go to Bahrain and Qatar, what about the Japanese ski jumper that makes more in a month than the Prime Minister does in a year, what about the the athletes with luges made by Ferrei, or Bobsleds made by BMW. Maria Mutola is a millionaire, and she is Mozembiquean(sp). Most of the major american track athletes are millionaires, should they be bared too?

There has only been one problem with pro athletes at the Olympics, and that is the American basketball teams refusing to live in the Olympic Village in Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Athens, even though that is apart of the deal in going to the Olympics.

The Millionaire Western hockey players stay in the village and act as part of the team like the rest of the athletes, except they get asked for autographs by fellow athletes, why do you think the IIHF and the IOC wanted full praticipation from the NHL in Torino for all 17 days, so they would actually be apart of the team.

walk about with sticks up their arse next to poor athletes from Africa who are there for the love of sport and country...not love of money, ego and marketing opportunity.

just because an athlete is pro, does not mean they do not love their sport, and passionate about it. A lots of pros love their sport and do whatever they can to train and get better, if they didn't they wouldn't be putting themselves through hell to be as good as they are.

just because basketball is a complete sellout does not mean that tennis, hockey, volleyball, field hockey, water polo, and the other pro sports are sellouts too. (and all of those are pro sports, as the majority of the athletes playing for the national teams play in leagues in europe, but are not classified the same as the pro sports in North America)

There several reasons not to have golf in the program(including the question of having too many events) but the venue issue wouldn't seem to be a problem, since almost every bidding city has some existing golf courses.

well, yeah.   I was going to say that an ordinary golf course doesn't stay just a regular golf course if it hosts an Olympic event.  There are rings and layers of security and support facilities that the ordinary person isn't aware of.  Well, anyway...it's a moot point because the sport/game, as of today, is NOT an Olympic sport.

Archived