Bid from the UK For the Winter Olympics in 2030

I have always been keen to see London host a winter olympics bid so here is my idea.

There would be two Zones, London Zone and Mountain Zone which would host the snow events

London Zone

Wembley Stadium - 90,000 - Opening and Closing Ceremonies

Wembley Arena - 7,000 - Ice Hockey Mens and Womens Competitions

ExCel A - 6,000 - Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, 

ExCel B- 6,000 - Curling 

Olympic Village- Crystal Palace National Sports Centre - Capacity 3,000-5,000 beds that could become homes after the Olympics and Paralympics.

Mountain Zone

Cairngorm Mountain Resort- Biathlon,Nordic Combined, Cross Country Skiing (addition 7,500 temporary seats)

Lenshee Ski Centre - Snowboarding (addition of 5,000 temporary seats)

The Lecht Ski Centre - Freestyle Skiing, Alpine Skiin, Ski Jumping. (addition of 5,000 temporary seats)

New Ski Centre in Fort William - Bobsleigh, Luge and Skeleton (addition of 5,000 temporary seats)

Olympic Village in Fort William would house up to 3,000 athletes and could be housing after the Games

Glencoe Ski Area has a vertical of over 800m which is a minimum FIS requirement for the Men’s downhill. That could be a possible location for all of the snow events and its only 50 miles away from Edinburgh so its links well with a city, of course other facilties have to be built as well like temporary stands for spectators and hotels as well. 

I think it could be possible but a lot of money would be needed to improve faculties to minimum standards.

6 hours ago, BloomDoom24 said:

Glencoe Ski Area has a vertical of over 800m

That claim puzzles me, as it only appears on some ski websites, and the summit of the mountain is only just 800 metres higher than the A82 main road (though I suppose it might be possible to open up a piste veering off to the west, lower down the valley, well away from the actual Ski Centre)

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 2:49 PM, BloomDoom24 said:

Glencoe Ski Area has a vertical of over 800m which is a minimum FIS requirement for the Men’s downhill. That could be a possible location for all of the snow events and its only 50 miles away from Edinburgh so its links well with a city, of course other facilties have to be built as well like temporary stands for spectators and hotels as well. 

I think it could be possible but a lot of money would be needed to improve faculties to minimum standards.

Glencoe is 106 miles from Edinburgh and about 82 miles from Glasgow

On 9/21/2017 at 9:13 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That claim puzzles me, as it only appears on some ski websites, and the summit of the mountain is only just 800 metres higher than the A82 main road (though I suppose it might be possible to open up a piste veering off to the west, lower down the valley, well away from the actual Ski Centre)

The summit I believe is 1108m. In Norway one of the biggest verticals is Norefjell, which has a comparatively low total height. And a lot of the Scottish mountains do have a significant prominence

The biggest issue is irrespective of height, could any piste be sufficiently difficult to satisfy the FIS?

Ultimately a Glasgow-Edinburgh bid would be the way to go IF there was a bid

• There are several venues already in Glasgow which MIGHT be adaptable for several sports or be in need of replacement .. Braehead Arena, the SECC
  • There are teams in Edinburgh would could become the principal tennant in any new areas - Murrayfield Racers, a BBL team
  • There are teams where if a facility was built to be convertible could utililise the redeveloped arena - Scotstoun Stadium
  • If temporary facilities are used, they could be relocated throughout Scotland - Dundee, Aberdeen

Considering the recent British success in the sliding sports a sliding track could find use, the jumping hills less so.

Ultimately, most of the Scottish resorts - Glencoe, Nevis Range, Aviemore, Glenshee and the Lecht would need to be involved across many of the outdoor sports

On 1/3/2018 at 6:03 AM, LatinXTC said:

So, the UK have always had a hill sufficient enough to hold alpine skiing events, even downhill, and we're just now hearing about it? 

If this is the case, why haven't the UK ever put in a bid to host a winters games.

You could argue the same for Sochi, for Beijing .... Winter Sports have not been a major event in the UK and as others have mentioned, with the closeness of European resorts there has always been chronic under investment.

However that does not mean that an event could not be hosted ... especially with the Winter Olympics struggling to find bidders .... Scotland has passed Step1 .. does the physical geography exist ... Step1a is whether a course could be built of sufficient difficulty because this is where Quebec fell down

• 1 month later...

I don't think a UK winter bid is as far fetched as one might think given the animosity towards the IOC by many traditional winter sports countries. Not sure about Glencoe given as has been mentioned the British Alpine Ski Championships have been held in Tignes, however as I mentioned in another thread, what about a UK bid partnering with Lillehammer (ski jumping, nordic combined, alpine skiing, and sliding sports)? It's not ideal to say the least but if the IOC really wanted to go back to Europe and none of the traditional winter sports countries could get a bid together, it's not out of the realm of possibility? A UK bid based in Scotland using Lillehammer would be preferable IMO than going to Almaty or Turkey.

I don't think it would be considered in Britain's interests to do it if we couldn't do the whole thing though, and if Lillehammer were to host anything I would think the IOC would prefer everything there - or at least in Norway.  Hopefully the recent games have opened up the possibility of smaller hosts once again.

Sadly just think nature lets us down in terms of hosting - I'd have thought if anywhere in Scotland was capable of at least holding a sliding track then they'd be moved to install one by now considering our recent Skeleton success and relative long term interest in Bobsleigh.

P.S.  What would be good to see is Britain putting more effort into raising the profile of the sports they can host - certainly be good to see Short Track and Curling have a prominent World Championships in the UK.   I guess some of the freestyle/snowboard events could probably be hosted too.

As with many Olympics, the awarding of a Games is often the impetus for the development of facilities. It is mentioned the British Alpine Championship is held in Tignes, but who heard of the course in Pyeongchang, Sochi or even Kvitfjell before the games were awarded and there was then a driving need to develop the facilities? Despite individual successes, it takes the award of a Games to move associations away from being 'lazy' and using existing facilities.

There are a number of potential opportunities that exist ... the SECC could be redeveloped and at the same time be the site for Speed Skating, the Emirates Arena could be expanded, a new arena could be built in Edinburgh to offer the capital the equivalent of the SSE Hydro. 

It was an irony that the snow causes havoc in recent weeks but again being awarded the Games would lead to infrastructure improvements

With so many traditional Alpine nations running shy of the games, the IOC would bite the hand of any democratic Western nation enthusiastic about hosting the Winter games