Sign in to follow this  
Roger87

Paris 2024 Ceremonies

9 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

That ceremony was hideous. :wacko: David Guetta was literally the only good thing of it. Then again, Football openings are usually lackluster.

France '98 opening was much more artistic, though. Both the stadium and parade of puppets done in Paris the night before (it's a shame we only have a low quality cam recording of the later)

Funny, I thought that ceremony was whimsical and the Guetta, Dj part was the worst.  What does a dj have to say about Paris?  Nada.

Anyway, we'll just have to see how they do their Handover portion in 30 months' time.  Just not Decouffle again.  

On 3/2/2018 at 12:03 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Funny, I thought that ceremony was whimsical and the Guetta, Dj part was the worst.  What does a dj have to say about Paris?  Nada.

Anyway, we'll just have to see how they do their Handover portion in 30 months' time.  Just not Decouffle again.  

Guetta is world famous and was born and raised in Paris, France.

But I have to agree the opening ceremonies to France 98' were awful. The only thing I found entertaining were the giant colorful statues that were roaming the city on their way to the stadium.

Everything else seemed so sloppy

Still better than the horrid USA '94 opening with Oprah not being able to kick a football properly even if her life depended on it. 

4 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Still better than the horrid USA '94 opening with Oprah not being able to kick a football properly even if her life depended on it. 

Oh come on, that is legendary. There's very few moments anyone can remember from world cup ceremonies, America accidentally provided one of the best!

^^ Okay, I guess i'll give you a point on that :lol: 

I dunno what other example we could use of France doing other sport ceremonies. Maybe the Francophony Games in 1993 at Paris (which they did in front of the Louvre), plus the 1993 Mediterranean Games in Languedoc Rousillon, which apparently were done in a special stage built at a beach basin and they actually made proper good use of water for some of the pics I saw. I don't have videos of said show but I do have many pics.

I did got a video of the rehearsals, though. Sadly not the actual show

jYWxbHv.jpg

deRE7l9.jpg

UoGvBi7.jpg

QLfJOkZ.jpg

Amya4Qv.jpg

0jlEH43.jpg

89uMsXQ.jpg

On 3/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, Ikarus360 said:

That wasn't Oprah.  It was Diana Ross.  

I think we will have an inkling of Paris 2024's thinking for Ceremonies with whomever they pick for the Preview at the Handover section next year at the Tokyo 2020 Closing.  I have a feeling Marco Ballich could be in the strong running for it.  Haven't heard anymore from David Atkins' crew or Five Currents.  

I want the handover segment in Tokyo to be the first in a trilogy and the other two to be the opening ceremony and the closing ceremony.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:38 PM, Ikarus360 said:

That ceremony was hideous. :wacko: David Guetta was literally the only good thing of it. Then again, Football openings are usually lackluster.

France '98 opening was much more artistic, though. Both the stadium and parade of puppets done in Paris the night before (it's a shame we only have a low quality cam recording of the later)

This was one of my favourite opening ceremonies. The giants walking on the street of Paris is a must for me. 

1 hour ago, Roger87 said:

This was one of my favourite opening ceremonies. The giants walking on the street of Paris is a must for me. 

That was one of the MOST TURGID things I have ever seen.  Nope, not gonna happen in the streets of Paris -- not unless they blockade every block.  

5 hours ago, WD96 said:

I want the handover segment in Tokyo to be the first in a trilogy and the other two to be the opening ceremony and the closing ceremony.

Sorry, WD.  Not gonna happen.  THe Handover is a "Come on down, see you in 4 years" bit.  People's memories aren't going to hold up for 4 years to try and connect these things.  Athens 2004' for example in Sydney, was one of the LOUSIEST, most BORING handover sections, tying in the past, ancient Greek history -- with something that was going to be recreated at the Lighting of the Flame in Olympia in May? June 2004?  

Just in case, (traces) the handovers of each Olympics

Tokyo 2020

Rio 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6-TEOUwBQ

London 2012

Beijing 2008

Athens 2004

The issue with this handover is to make a short spectacle attractive, relatable to the Olympic host city and pop culture. 

Tokyo had Captain Tsubasa, Mario Bros, Doraemon and Hello Kitty

Rio had the Carnival, Adriana Lima, Copacabana and Pele

London had the buses, Jimmy Page and David Beckham

Beijing had martial acts, Music and fireworks

Athens had that boring ancient story presentation? At least having Zorba the Greek would have been more relatable...

For Paris, it's keeping key aspects to identify modern France: Can Can and Moulin Rouge and David Guetta can work here.

I want more than just the typical French culture, I want the ceremonies to focus on the culures of the Bretons, the Occitans, the Basques, Alsatians and other ethnic groups in France.

7 hours ago, WD96 said:

I want more than just the typical French culture, I want the ceremonies to focus on the culures of the Bretons, the Occitans, the Basques, Alsatians and other ethnic groups in France.

Then  you should go apply to join their Ceremonies team.  ;)

This could be the first ceremony since Barcelona for the Summer games to be held in day light for some off it the Sunset time on July 26 is at 9:38pm in Paris so if the ceremony begins at 9pm there will be a hour of sunlight and dusk with a 4 hour ceremony so they could bring a classic ceremony like Barcelona, Like Barcelona they could start the closing ceremony later with all the Athletes seated for the closing ceremony at 10Pm Starting time for it to be held fully in the dark have a 2 1/2 hour ceremony.

Um...the entire Industrial Revolution section of London’s ceremony was at dusk. Wouldn’t have worked anywhere near as well in pure darkness - or daylight. 

21 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Then  you should go apply to join their Ceremonies team.  ;)

I would love too but I need money for travel.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:48 PM, WD96 said:

I would love too but I need money for travel.

Well, #1 - find the company that will do it (or even go via the main 2024 website). 

#2 - Apply online. 

#3 - If they respond favorably, they may even pay for your interview travel -- MAY being the operative word.  

#4 - If you have to raise your own funds, try a GoFundMe page.  You never know what results until you try.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I have a feel ECA2 will probably be the leading company for the opening ceremonies given they're the largest company there which does both ceremonies/spectacles around the world, with possible involvement of also international advisors (Rich Birch anyone?). Also, they already had some experience by doing the 2004 Paralympics opening and as advisors at Beijing 2008 ceremonies. I don't think they will call Decoufle for it since he already had his piece of cake in 1992.

However much like what happened in London, France history is way too big and long to be adapted in a 4 hour long ceremony. Have a feel one half of the show will be brief references to France past, focusing on the better well known ones, while the other half will have modern themes such as sports and diversity.

Themes/Elements I would like to be feature in the opening:

• Versailles Garden
  • French Revolution (hey, if Sochi did a reference to the October Revolution, why France can't?)
  • Eiffel Tower
  • Belle Epoque (Late 19th century and early 20th century Paris)
  • Impressionism and Art Nouveau art styles, both of french roots.
  • A small nod to Pierre de Coubertin, father of the Olympics and a parisian himself.
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 5:14 PM, Ikarus360 said:

I have a feel ECA2 will probably be the leading company for the opening ceremonies given they're the largest company there which does both ceremonies/spectacles around the world, with possible involvement of also international advisors (Rich Birch anyone?). Also, they already had some experience by doing the 2004 Paralympics opening and as advisors at Beijing 2008 ceremonies. I don't think they will call Decoufle for it since he already had his piece of cake in 1992.

However much like what happened in London, France history is way too big and long to be adapted in a 4 hour long ceremony. Have a feel one half of the show will be brief references to France past, focusing on the better well known ones, while the other half will have modern themes such as sports and diversity.

• Versailles Garden
  • French Revolution (hey, if Sochi did a reference to the October Revolution, why France can't?)
  • Eiffel Tower
  • A small nod to Pierre de Coubertin, father of the Olympics and a parisian himself.

That's a good prospect

On 6/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ikarus360 said:

• Versailles Garden
  • Eiffel Tower

You forgot the Burning of Notre Dame!  Very good segue into the Lighting of the Cauldron!  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 6/26/2019 at 7:22 PM, Roger87 said:

Roger, just came across this in the streets of Montreal.  This oh-so-slow Lilliputian /Brobdingnaggian Syndrome must be so French!   (Same guy as who did France WC 1998?)   I hope the Jonathan Swift estate gets their royalties!

Edited by baron-pierreIV